Servicing your Cefiro

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
Heh...it would have squeeked...and pissed Ong off within half a km of his shop...lol... :laugh:

Jul 15, 2006
Hi ALL cefiro Lover and xifus....
I'm a new guy here currently driving an A32 97 model.
Was with MafiaRide this morning at the shop in USJ9.
Upon chatting with Lee, he mentioned about teckweng's ride with a 2.5 engine.
Because my current engine would need few Ks fixing up some stuffs, thus, the althernative would be the drop in a new Engine instead.
So i am really interested to find out more on this 2.5 engine xifu teckweng is having.
Would appreciate xifu teckweng to shed some light over this.
Thank you very much.

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
ILoveMyRide said:
Because my current engine would need few Ks fixing up some stuffs, thus, the althernative would be the drop in a new Engine instead.
So i am really interested to find out more on this 2.5 engine xifu teckweng is having.
Thank you very much.

It's a better option than to fork out the $$$ needed to fix the 3.0l. Keep the motor for mods later. The 2.5l packs about 186 bhp...but can be tweaked back to the 3.0l's 210 bhp too easily... :)

Jul 15, 2006
Defcon1,
You are absolutely right.
However, I will need lots of pointers from you all regarding pricings, good mechanics, where to buy and what kind of engines.. etc..
Lee commented that TeckWeng's car is done up nicely with the 2.5 Engine..
so that's why was asking this here in this forum.
how bout your ride defcon1?
I'm guessing you already have mods to the car......

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
ILoveMyRide said:
Defcon1,
You are absolutely right.
However, I will need lots of pointers from you all regarding pricings, good mechanics, where to buy and what kind of engines.. etc..
Lee commented that TeckWeng's car is done up nicely with the 2.5 Engine..
so that's why was asking this here in this forum.
how bout your ride defcon1?
I'm guessing you already have mods to the car......
Not really. I've actually kept the motor so far pretty standard. What I've done is basically "optimize" it...making the motor run as efficiently as possible and pushing out as much power as a 3l V6 should.

Let's look at what I've done. Would be good to list since I've not really thought about it myself...

Motor

1. Skimmed heads since I overheated it and had to overhaul it 3 years ago. Consequently, it's running a bit more compression than stock, which is probably why it packs a bit more power than stock... :smile:

2. Ignition spark stabilizer - local unit but does the job.

3. Pivot Reizin voltage stabilizer - not noticed any extra power buy my sound system sounds good... :smile:

4. Fuel pressure regulator - pressure set at 4.4 bars...throttle feels very light.

5. K & N insert type filter.

6. Connection from shorkel to resonator disconnected and blocked - engine sounds a little more butch. No discernible gains in power. Still experimenting with this one. May build a CAI.

7. Primary cat removed and replaced with bullet. Definitely gains in power. Y-Pipe would be better. Have to think about the B-Pipe. Imported S/S muffler...can't remember brand.

8. Modified twin-walled copper radiator. I used to drive turbocharged cars and have blown more radiators than I'd care to remember. Tends to make me a little paranoid... :laugh:

9. Oil catch can and earthing kit waiting to go in once I complete my valve job.

10. SAFC to go in after all of the above and retuning to get to approx. 240 bhp.

Chasis and Suspension

1. Hotbits adjustable suspension - street spec'ed. Car lowered approx 1.5" with an approx 3 degree slant forwards. Changes the centre of gravity of the car and you will be amazed at the difference in handling characteristics.

2. Camber bolts in front wheels - 0.5 degree negative camber.

3. VRS pillar strut bars in front. Hotbits rear pillar bar on order.

4. 1.5" race spacers in rear. They're about 1/4" too wide, but I don't have the time to machine them down. Fender lip knocked in, accidental marginal flare.

Exterior

1. JDM front bumper cos I broke my original one.

2. JDM body kit. Gives it a more complete look.

3. PIAA rims. 7" thick. Can't remember offset.

4. Front crystal light set.

Interior

1. Leather interior compliments of my friend in Sg who scrapped a feilo about 2 years ago and swopped over the interior before he did.

2. Full wood-grain centre console. Original was only half wood grain.

3. Supplemented audio system with 4-Channel Blaupunck amp, 2 pairs of 2-way speakers and Blaupunck sub-woofer.

Future mods

1. High flow fuel pump - currently researching and will get a trial unit from a chop-shop.

2. SAFC - definitely required if you upgrade fuel pump and AFR.

3. Maybe some more JDM dress-up parts and probably a spoiler of some kind.

4. Debadging and putting on an Infinity emblem...just for the fun of it.

Looking for...

1. Wing mirrow "shells". You can buy them overseas but I have never seen them here except on 0123's feilo.

....and that's what I can think of for now... :smile:

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
ILoveMyRide said:
Thank you very much.
hi there...im teckweng.
just got back from Genting...so miss those threads.

anyway, if u r considering getting a 2.5 engine bcoz u dont wanna fix ur engine...then its a bad choice. gettin a used engine from Japan may not be the solution. if u r unlucky, u might endin up with more money being spent....although its a very rare case...

however, if u do consider about the roadtax (only rm890+ for 2.5 compares to Rm2112 for 3.0) then its a good choice.

there r 2 ways to convert to 2.5...
1st, just buy an engine n use back all existing gearbox + system. its a lot cheaper this way. u can get a 2.5 engine for around rm2.4k to rm2.5k and still able to trade in ur 3.0 engine for rm500...as for workmanship, its around rm600 to rm1k...depending on stuffs u want to change...however, u might not able to know what the condition n mileage of the engine...

2nd way its to get the halfcut which cost around rm4.5k to rm5.5k...depending if u need the bodyparts or not. this option its viable if ur gearbox has problem...coz gearbox alone might costs u around rm2k++!! also u will be able to know the mileage of the engine.
with this option, u will have more spare parts which u can sell to other members...of course u need a space to keep some of the stuffs but in the end, the price u pay its around the same with the 1st option bcoz u can sell ur engine+gearbox to the chop shop for around rm1.5k to rm2.5k (including wiring, ecu, drive shafts etc)

in the end, its ur budget that matters...

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
ongteckweng said:
hi there...im teckweng.
just got back from Genting...so miss those threads.

anyway, if u r considering getting a 2.5 engine bcoz u dont wanna fix ur engine...then its a bad choice. gettin a used engine from Japan may not be the solution. if u r unlucky, u might endin up with more money being spent....although its a very rare case...

however, if u do consider about the roadtax (only rm890+ for 2.5 compares to Rm2112 for 3.0) then its a good choice.
Actually, I tend to disagree here. Fixing a bad 3l engine in this country IS a bad choice.

Consider the following. An overhaul of a 3l engine requires an overhaul gasket set. TC's price for an overhaul gasket set is RM 1,800. Then you need to surface the heads (there are 2 of them, so it will cost double what a normal car costs). These costs alone would put me off an overhaul.

Then, consider my overhaul. This was before I re-established my contacts in Malaysia after getting back fro Sg. Bought the car from Tan Chong...and it blew it's gasket within 5 days. Blew the radiator out in the process. Had it towed back to my mech...asked him to do an overhaul.

Since he was in there, it made sense to see what else was worn. And boy, was there a lot of wear, especially the water pipes. They were corroded paper thin. What about the water pump? Will you risk putting back your old pump and have it break down one year down the line, and have to lift out the engine again? Then valve seals...same argument as water pump. You cannot reach the 2nd bank of valves cos they are against the firewall.

To cut a long story short...everything in cost me RM 7k. I could have done an engine change for half that, and the gain in road tax would have been a bonus.

The fact of the matter is, Japan engines NEVER do the mileage we do. It is not uncommon for a Japanese engine off a 4 year old half-cut to have not more than 50k kms on it. So far, I've had 100% success in transplants of engines from Japan...and I have done a few. The secret...having a good mechanic buy the engine for you, cos it is in HIS interest that the engine is good and does not break down.

wah

Known Member
Nov 15, 2005
I have my own Mech who is TC authorize workshop for more than 20 yr in Seremban, so far so good, price reasonalable, after sale service oso good. He oredi spand some time to adjust my suspension setting and FC from 6 month since I brought my feilo.

My pevious AE92 convertion oso done by he, so will still support he.

He will check for me if any part need to replace and when to replace. oredi few time he save me out of trouble.

that why I can get 10+km/l by city drive and 12.5+km/l for outstation.:biggrin:

MafiaRide

Jun 26, 2006
defcon I see you have done alot on your car. I'm thinking of putting in eDamage and FPR. Your 240hp is it whp or bhp?

Jul 15, 2006
xifu Defcon1,
Wow... thanks for the informative replies.
BOY, your list can be used as guidelines for others to improve their car's performance as well as looks...... thanks for sharing this.

xifu TeckWeng,
Thanks for your reply and the rationale offered.
Allow me to explain the thought of changing engine to 2.5.
1. my current engine is about to reach 200K soon.
2. cost of fixing it, as adviced by Lee as very rough estimate, is at least 3 - 4 K or more depending on how many more things require changes.
3. TC quoted at least 8K or more, not including labour, and also depending on things to be changed.
4. Road tax, everybody knows this.
5. Auto GearBox is also starting to jerk already despite regular changes of Auto Trans. fluid.

so... this made me think of swapping the engine instead of keeping and maintaning the current one.
of course with this, i will need advices and lots of lucks to get a good halfcut, good mechs, and lastly $$$$.
Will only be doing this likely next year.... as i currently do not have the budget yet to pay for all these...
Have to carefully plan my spending to make this possible......

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
MafiaRide said:
defcon I see you have done alot on your car. I'm thinking of putting in eDamage and FPR. Your 240hp is it whp or bhp?
eDamage is definitely a NO-NO!!:shocked: Or were you talking about your wallet?... :rofl:

Hee hee...but seriously, I find that e-manage in for this level of mods to be a little bit of a waste. An SAFC would suffice.

The FPR will definitely improve your ride, but to optimize it, you will need to put in a high flow fuel pump.

And the 240bhp estimate/goal would be at the wheels... :smile:

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
defcon1 said:
eDamage is definitely a NO-NO!!:shocked: Or were you talking about your wallet?... :rofl:

Hee hee...but seriously, I find that e-manage in for this level of mods to be a little bit of a waste. An SAFC would suffice.

The FPR will definitely improve your ride, but to optimize it, you will need to put in a high flow fuel pump.

And the 240bhp estimate/goal would be at the wheels... :smile:
ILoveMyRide, with only 200000km, ur engine actually still can last 150000km! :biggrin:
anyway, if Lee insists that it need at least 3-4k to fix it n ur gearbox starting to jerk, the best solution its to get a 2.5 halfcut...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Calling all James Bond fans, here are the top 7 favorite Bond fans selected, come and select yours. (Top to bottom order)

1st. Starting off with this surprising 1964 Aston Martin DB5 in "Goldfinger," 1965. The Aston Martin is a regular favorite in Bond movies. This 60s fighting machine comes with audacious passenger ejection seat, oil slick...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience