Semi auto or manual ??

thirdeyes

Known Member
Oct 8, 2012
sabah
Seriesly ... I need a 4x4 dyno in Sabah .. Lol . All my tunning are in the road tune . We have no idea how much Hp output in my car . I only know that 1st gear my trek can't even run in full throttle, it's feel like really laggy . But after polling out the GB oil, it's all brown black & tiny metal dust . That's why I'm sure my clutch had burn it. Only gentle drive have no problem bout it . Lol . I have ask sky sifu bout using Auto . He told me the only thing I can do is order a torque converter and other stuff that can hold for 400 whp .and might cost bout 7-8k to upgrade it . Sky still advice me to go for manual ... Lol p.s sifu told me west Malaysia then can upgrade the GB.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Bro... if you really want performance, just go for manual. AT can be built for performance but it's more complex and expensive. Not to mention the reliability. With manual stock gb from Evo, it can easily handle 350hp no problem.

thirdeyes

Known Member
Oct 8, 2012
sabah
I will consider bout using manual . I wonder what parts do I need to find or change by using AWD . And that bout our OEM ECU ?and 5 or 6 speed ?

Last edited:

AvanT

Custom fabricator & CNC machining
Mar 20, 2009
Yeah I read bout his thread . But it's FF .. There will have some diffrent bout it
The only difference in my trek is I have locked the AWD transfer case to 2WD & remove the rear diff+driveshafts thats all. U can maintain AWD if U prefer, nothing to do with manual gearbox conversion. BUT be warned.... the trek's AWD transfer case will become the weakest link after U convert to manual, this is the 2nd most common component to fail after the autobox, the teeth on the spline that connects the rear driveshaft will break 1 by 1 after some time, also happens on stock trek.

thirdeyes

Known Member
Oct 8, 2012
sabah
What if I change to Evo transfer gear in the same time ? I wonder Evo 7 -5 speed GB and transfer gear will fit in our trek with out changing the long shaft or not . That the problem I'm thinking .. If I'm not wrong we might need to change the starter too .

AvanT

Mar 20, 2009
What if I change to Evo transfer gear in the same time ? I wonder Evo 7 -5 speed GB and transfer gear will fit in our trek with out changing the long shaft or not . That the problem I'm thinking .. If I'm not wrong we might need to change the starter too .
Not sure bout that bro.
I'm using the Evo4 5-speed manual, Evo 4,5,6 transfer case cannot be used in trek, gotta use the trek's AWD transfer case, it's a direct fit onto the manual box. Evo7 5-speed is a good choice, it has taller gear ratio for better cruising & better FC, not sure if the Evo7 combo will fit directly onto our trek or not though. I might change to Evo7 5-speed later, after I get tired of my 5-speed short ratio....heheeehe.

Personally, the most demanding part of the auto->manual conversion for me is not the gearbox itself, it's adding the clutch pedal, modding the brake pedal, relocating the parking brake, mounting the shifter & adjusting the angle+cable, & wiring the ECU+speedometer.

Be glad to assist if U need any help ok :)

thirdeyes

Known Member
Oct 8, 2012
sabah
Avant bro .... you better wish me luck to mod the Manual trans in .. lol ... really need a lot of study and prepare b4 modding it ... now the Auto Gb still can run .. just can't go full throttle .. i will study well b4 i gather all the parts that i need for the Mod . Thank you very much every one.

AvanT

Mar 20, 2009
I'm back!!...
Just want to share my latest tranny swap here.
Got my trek back after 2-weeks in the workshop.

My old faithful started puffing white smoke about 3-months back, it was getting lazy & tired after serving 247,000 plus kms on the odometer. Decided to swap out the close ratio 5-speed while overhauling the engine. Let me put it this way........... I fell in love with my trek all over again the moment I started driving it =)

The acceleration pull may not be as quick from standstill. Nonetheless, it's not slow either, it's just softer & smoother, more civilized to drive, less jerky & less responsive. But I'm enjoying it & loving it, in 5th gear, at the same rpm as the close ratio gearbox, it allows the trek to gain about 20km/h higher.

Before, was averaging 360-400km for $90 ron95 petrol, a daily work car.
Now, reached 460km for $90 ron95 petrol.

Last edited:

AvanT

Mar 20, 2009
bro,what gb r u using now?
5-speed manual from Evo7.
Did some research, the Evo7's 5th gear has the tallest ratio among all other Evos.
The Evo8 and Evo9 has 6-speed, but both still has a shorter ratio, lower top speed.

---------- Post added at 03:16 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:42 AM ----------

Did ya overhaul da motor?
Yea bro, finally changed to the Toyota high compression semi forged 1JZ pistons i had in storage. Also replaced the main bearings, conrod bearings, & thrust bearings, there were some worn-out markings, might as well do a proper overhaul & replace what's necessary.

The Toyota pistons works great!!! The higher compression pistons makes it drives a like N/A, no turbo-lag at all. Personally, I'm bit skeptical about the compression ratio I have in my 4G63T right now. The seller says it's 9:1 for these 1JZ pistons. But my mechanic friend who helped me with the overhaul did a check & told me they're 1JZ N/A pistons, not turbo pistons.

Anyway, fortunately everything fits and engine is running smooth, it even purrs like a cat when climbing the rev, definitely feels more torque-ky....=)

And due to safety reason, i've switched off the boost controller, letting the external wastegate's 0.9 bar spring pressure to manage boost.

Still running-in the overhauled engine, driving the car below 4000rpm so far.

Last edited:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Wow cool! So envious man. My trek drinks a lot lately n I'm bored with the power. Feels like selling it off.

AvanT

Mar 20, 2009
Wow cool! So envious man. My trek drinks a lot lately n I'm bored with the power. Feels like selling it off.
Bro Stutz, i've also thought of selling of the trek at one time, but after considering how family-friendly, hidden potential, the sleeper looks our trek has.....heheee.. it's better to keep it, can't get anything close to this anymore...seriously :-)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear all, may I ask your help to do a simple survey on vehicle rental feedback as I am a uni. student who needs to compile this for my course. thanking you in advance for your help. Lucy. the survey link as follow Customer Feedback2 Survey
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience