Saga FL 1.3 (M) | Need Standard Modding Advice

Lunatic Rider

Jul 25, 2018
Rawang
Hello sifu's,

I am interested in leveling up my FL, and have a roadmap in mind.
Hope sifu's can give me guidance on where to get the parts and where to get magic hand mechanics :)

Basically I am looking at daily driving improvement, and a little bit of Kuala Klawang'ing :D
No forced induction, just wanna improve the N/A Campro. I'd like replace some of the OEM parts with better aftermarket stuff, improving the basic functions and drive-ability. Looking towards Heavy Duty parts rather than R racing parts.

(I know things can google, but I prefer hearing from people who have experience in doing this to get better feedback)

Roadmap.
Pure copper grounding cables:
1.I heard welding cables are the best, does bro TitanRev still provide D.I.Y services for these?
Or any clue where on what good brands to get and where to get?
2.Voltage Regulator. I've heard arguments that these can be useless and give no improvement, and some people say they get increased performance. Any ideas?

Spark Plugs:
1.Good heavy duty spark plugs?
2.If I am planning to do a 1.6 stroker kit upgrade in the future, what are the recommended Spark Plugs for that? I have Iridiums in mind.

Steel braided Hoses for the front + better brake pads:
1.Any recommendation for reliable brands? And how much they roughly cost?
2.Rear Brakes will remain drum, any recommendation for better shoes?
3.Is it necessary to change the standard FL rotors to accommodate the better brake pads?

Springs:
1. Heavy Duty springs. My friend recommended D2 HD springs, are they reliable?

Short Throw Shifter:
1. Which would be better, D.I.Y the OEM shifter? or getting an aftermarket one, if so what are some reliable models?

Fuel Pressure Regulator:
1. Is this necessary as the FL already has this? Will it require an upgrade if going for 1.6 stroker?

Fuel Filter:
1. Denso or Bosch?

Change Radiator Hoses to Silicone:
1. Probably gonna go for Samco

Front/Rear Stabilizer Bar + Front Strut Bar:
1. I guess only UR, got any others?

Air Filter:
1.OEM air intake with BMC air filter.

Thats about it for now. Hope to get some good feedback from you sifu's :D

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
This was my BLM setup when i worked at Kuala Pilah and the feedback.

1.Proride sport spring + stock absorber.
-i wont recommend sport spring with stock absorber.its just nor suitable for slow drive and shorten the absorber lifespa.At higher than normal speed, the car is flat and not to bumpy.Good for above legal speed highway run.

2.Trestor semi metallic pads.
-The hotter ot gets, the better it perform but this model still fade after 1/2 way downhill all out at Bukit Putus.i am using the same front pad for my Waja but did not encounter fade issues. Could be the BLM has bad air cooling flow to the brakes, after all its not design for such torture.
On the rear brakes, just get it adjusted properly...its tedious job but worth the time. Last time i adjusted until only 1 click of the handbrake and the braking is a lot more assuring. My rear shoe has always been stock replacement.

3.Front upper strut bar, front lower 4 point bar, rear ARB.
-Even on stock suspension u will have better steering response & feedback. Body roll is in check. Coupled with sport suspension its flat on corners. Get better rubber and u can push harder. With sport suspension, i can keep up with a stock neo 1.6 on corner as i know i can brake later and the front end will still bite even if u are still braking when entering the corner. If u are going for sport suspension,be careful with the front lower 4 point bar....easily got scrape.

4.Open pod with DIY heatshield (Simota)
-Better response and the noise to go with.Now i have removed it and get a drop in unit from works engineering if not mistaken.more or less the same effect minus the frequent cleaning interval and syiok sound.

5.Grounding + diy voltage stabiliser.
-Just smoother drive, thats it. U can DIY by buying welding cable and the terminal.

6.Iridium plugs.
-not worth the price.i got it cheap that time so why not. Platinum plugs is good enough and a lot cheaper.smoother drive, thats it.

Things i wish i have done is a complete exhaust system.

Things i would highly recommend for u to get is the 1.6 stroker...No replacement for displacement.

For fuel filter, just get ori unit from known brand. The hoses, i will keep it stock.My stock hose is still on my engine since....i forgot already how long.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hello sifu's,

I am interested in leveling up my FL, and have a roadmap in mind.
Hope sifu's can give me guidance on where to get the parts and where to get magic hand mechanics :)

Basically I am looking at daily driving improvement, and a little bit of Kuala Klawang'ing :D
No forced induction, just wanna improve the N/A Campro. I'd like replace some of the OEM parts with better aftermarket stuff, improving the basic functions and drive-ability. Looking towards Heavy Duty parts rather than R racing parts.

(I know things can google, but I prefer hearing from people who have experience in doing this to get better feedback)

Roadmap.
Pure copper grounding cables:
1.I heard welding cables are the best, does bro TitanRev still provide D.I.Y services for these?
Or any clue where on what good brands to get and where to get?
2.Voltage Regulator. I've heard arguments that these can be useless and give no improvement, and some people say they get increased performance. Any ideas?

Spark Plugs:
1.Good heavy duty spark plugs?
2.If I am planning to do a 1.6 stroker kit upgrade in the future, what are the recommended Spark Plugs for that? I have Iridiums in mind.

Steel braided Hoses for the front + better brake pads:
1.Any recommendation for reliable brands? And how much they roughly cost?
2.Rear Brakes will remain drum, any recommendation for better shoes?
3.Is it necessary to change the standard FL rotors to accommodate the better brake pads?

Springs:
1. Heavy Duty springs. My friend recommended D2 HD springs, are they reliable?

Short Throw Shifter:
1. Which would be better, D.I.Y the OEM shifter? or getting an aftermarket one, if so what are some reliable models?

Fuel Pressure Regulator:
1. Is this necessary as the FL already has this? Will it require an upgrade if going for 1.6 stroker?

Fuel Filter:
1. Denso or Bosch?

Change Radiator Hoses to Silicone:
1. Probably gonna go for Samco

Front/Rear Stabilizer Bar + Front Strut Bar:
1. I guess only UR, got any others?

Air Filter:
1.OEM air intake with BMC air filter.

Thats about it for now. Hope to get some good feedback from you sifu's :D
You probably have come across this before :

http://www.racenotrice.com/titanrevdiysaga.html

I've driven this car and it's super light, very easy to drive and corners like it's on rails. Personally since you're going Kuala Kelawanging you should focus more on the handling aspect of the FLX.

Lunatic Rider

Jul 25, 2018
Rawang
Thank you so much for the feedback guys.

This one just follow bro. TitanRev mod......lol
Yes I have seen the article, but some of the stuff is a bit 'heavy'. Since I'm still new to car D.I.Y, my experience so far was only motorcycles.
And since I work on 24/7 shifts, and mostly work nights and sleep in the day, having the chance for a meet-up would be low for me.(Still would be nice.)

Hence i'm starting with this basic roadmap. Will be putting in stuff every 3-4 months. This will be in phases.

Parts for (October18-December18) Phase 1:
BMC Drop-in filter
Pro RS Steel Braided Hose + Project u PMU brake pads
BMW E50 Short Shifter (A friend recommended this, have to DIY a bit)

This is costlier but I never like to underestimate the importance of brakes.

Looking forward for any more suggestions you guys have.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Thank you so much for the feedback guys.

Yes I have seen the article, but some of the stuff is a bit 'heavy'. Since I'm still new to car D.I.Y, my experience so far was only motorcycles.
And since I work on 24/7 shifts, and mostly work nights and sleep in the day, having the chance for a meet-up would be low for me.(Still would be nice.)

Hence i'm starting with this basic roadmap. Will be putting in stuff every 3-4 months. This will be in phases.

Parts for (October18-December18) Phase 1:
BMC Drop-in filter
Pro RS Steel Braided Hose + Project u PMU brake pads
BMW E50 Short Shifter (A friend recommended this, have to DIY a bit)

This is costlier but I never like to underestimate the importance of brakes.

Looking forward for any more suggestions you guys have.

your car still using stock exhaust? if so, i would suggest u decat, change the headers and mufflers, and also change drop in filters. get 1.6flx throttle body as well.

the stock brake hose if car still new i dont think it's necessary to upgrade it. unless u wanna track the car hard. pmu brake pads, make sure it's original.

Lunatic Rider

Jul 25, 2018
Rawang
the stock brake hose if car still new i dont think it's necessary to upgrade it. unless u wanna track the car hard. pmu brake pads, make sure it's original.
The car is 7 years old. I asked PMU people from PMU FB Page, apparently they dont have brake pads for Saga FL, funny they have it for Waja/Satria/Persona
Might need to consider other good quality pad brands.

your car still using stock exhaust? if so, i would suggest u decat, change the headers and mufflers, and also change drop in filters. get 1.6flx throttle body as well.
Yes exhaust is still standard.If I decat, then when doing Puspakom in the future will there be issues? Or need to put the cat back when going for Inspection.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yes exhaust is still standard.If I decat, then when doing Puspakom in the future will there be issues? Or need to put the cat back when going for Inspection.
So far the catcon is not a must yet, but you will never know what will happen in future. To be safe, probably you can store up your old catcon....

Reactions: sanekit

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
The car is 7 years old. I asked PMU people from PMU FB Page, apparently they dont have brake pads for Saga FL, funny they have it for Waja/Satria/Persona
Might need to consider other good quality pad brands.

i'm using trestor advantage on my wira. i cant suggest any pads brand for your saga. i do read good reviews for Rapid Stop brake pads. can ask @TitanRev sifu to suggest.

nope. like @vr2turbo said it's not compulsory yet. for puspakom, you can always add a few hundred bucks for a runner to go for u. confirm pass. hahaha

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
i'm using trestor advantage on my wira. i cant suggest any pads brand for your saga. i do read good reviews for Rapid Stop brake pads. can ask @TitanRev sifu to suggest.

nope. like @vr2turbo said it's not compulsory yet. for puspakom, you can always add a few hundred bucks for a runner to go for u. confirm pass. hahaha
Seems like Trestor Advantage in new packing are available already....

Reactions: sanekit

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hai i'm new member in here...I'm looking for any guide,picture or blueprint that can help me to do rear tail light evo 3 conversion for wira......before this I went to JPJ and ask about it,and they say" yes you can do as long you not cut a chassis"...JPJ only allow you to cut a quarter panel...:proud:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience