S.o.s.

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
Need everyone advice...

I took the engine out, and was thinking to change the oil seal and hose, all pats was purchase and even all the 4 engine mounts.. when the engine was out than only i notice the block was patch with some epoxy. That explain why my engine have so much of oil leak...

Think must be the previous mechanic may have crack the engine block, since this is an aluminum block, its easier to crack.

Now i have 2 option,

01) buy engine kosong vq25, put it in and use the original vq30 g.box and wiring

02) get the vq25 1/2 cut and put it in.

Which one its better?

If option 1 cheaper, it may not run so smooth, may have some side effect.

If option 2, maybe extra 3k more, but everything should run... I am also worry if the Airbag can be enable or not...

Anyone can help.... :confused_smile: :cry_smile:

excimo

Known Member
Jun 6, 2006
if you are going for a major op. then better change all lah. Get the 1/2 cut, you also get different console, A/C panel, 2 airbags...lights....grills...fog lamps...steering...etc.

If you have enough budget, get a VQ25DD.

That is the problem with 2nd hand car... lots of touch up, but at least we don't feed the unnecessarily people with taxes for a new car.

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
i am ok to do up a used car.. the car body condition its good.. the engine part really can't tell unless you take it out.

I only worry on 1/2 cut its the air bag things, cause it may not fit or maybe most of it are blown already.

excimo

Known Member
Jun 6, 2006
Don't worry about airbag lah...our feilo so hardy..no need airbag also safe one.

Ehh...also we feilo drivers are smart&safe road users...but...hehehe...maybe fast users lah....

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
sigh,

i thought will never go into 1/2 cut or change engine route... but i am force too..... sigh...

excimo

Known Member
Jun 6, 2006
take it as an upgrade loh, since changing to 2.5 will safe you on RT mah.

No matter how much touch up to be made, even adding in turbo...we still pay less than a new car with same power and comfort.

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
I would get the VQ25 engine kosong. Use the injectors from the 3.0l. AFM is common. Sensors are common. ECU has to match up with the injectors to meter fuel properly. Mapping will be accurate up to WOT, when it will overfuel by about 15%. Controllable with a SAFC.

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
p.s. check to see if the downpipes are the same diameter for the 2.5l and 3.0l as this will have a bearing on your low end torque.

I find that considering the degree of similarity, which is about 80% of all components, a half cut is a waste of money.

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
Btw Wei Kee...what is the condition of the heads on your current engine? If you are forced to change the motor, I am interested in the heads and cams for some experimentation... :)

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
I am also confuse,

i have couple of friends, some say putting engine kosong give problem, cause they have this problem before.

but others few chop shop fellow told me no problem, cause they done before... sigh.

tonight cannot sleep already.

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
People have probs with the engine kosong because :

1. Condition not good...get a mech to inspect it for you first.
2. They lob in the engine kosong...injectors and all...and forget that the ecu is tuned to the 3l injectors... :)

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
To ensure no probs...remember to put in ONLY the long block...keep injectors and check all sensors...

If only replace the metal parts...and ensure that injectors, ecu and afm are matched (afm is common with 3l), then should be ok... :)

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
weikee...u can always get the engine kosong n use back all the 3.0 system. but of course the gearing is difference hence u might have low power @ low end torque. feels heavier to move ur car.

i have seen ppl with prob by just changing the engine n ppl who enjoys it every minute of it. i think it depends on the skills of ur mechanic. it shouldnt be a prob.

however, if u r in doubts n r keen to keep ur ride for @ least 5 yrs, do go ahead with the halfcut. its a lot easier n u can still sell ur parts (like gearbox etc)...

about the airbag, they will function (front 2) but if u buy those with 4 airbags, u will have prob with the airbags warning light. just get those with 1 or 2 airbags then its fine.