RVR turbo gearbox / running gear

russellc2

Sep 14, 2012
Wellington, NZ
Does anyone know if a 2nd generation (1998 model) RVR / Space Runner X3 (Evo 4 based 4G63 engine) gearbox & manual shifter components could possibly fit onto our Airtreks? Or do I have to go down the Evo 4-9 path for sourcing a gearbox and related parts to do a manual conversion on a 2003 Airtrek?

Thanks

chubster

Known Member
Aug 14, 2012
New Zealand
Pm avant bro. He should be abe to help. Im sure he coverted using rvr gear. And do post how you get on im also interested

Last edited:

AvanT

Custom fabricator & CNC machining
Mar 20, 2009
Does anyone know if a 2nd generation (1998 model) RVR / Space Runner X3 (Evo 4 based 4G63 engine) gearbox & manual shifter components could possibly fit onto our Airtreks? Or do I have to go down the Evo 4-9 path for sourcing a gearbox and related parts to do a manual conversion on a 2003 Airtrek?

Thanks
Hi & welcome to the club Russellc2,
Yup, I've done that & been driving my manual trek 1 1/2 years now. U can view my manual conversion post here.
Can also email me if U need additional info, hope this helps =)

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newfor...show-us-your-mitsubishi-airtrek-pictures.html

ken77

Jan 16, 2007
bro avant, manual airtrek will be my near future plan..pls.advise how much the cost of conversion and wHich workshop you recommended ?

russellc2

Sep 14, 2012
Wellington, NZ
Thanks for the info Avant, yes I had read your thread many times with interest, although I noted that you used an Evo 4 gearbox is this correct? are they one and the same with the RVR gearbox?

AvanT

Mar 20, 2009
bro avant, manual airtrek will be my near future plan..pls.advise how much the cost of conversion and wHich workshop you recommended ?
Hi Ken77, I did my car at a friend's workshop in Sri Damansara, Kepong. In fact, Ah Wah workshop has also done a 1 or 2 trek with auto -> manual gearbox conversion. They placed the Evo 7 gearshift & hand-brake on the floor. I would recommend doing this way because it's easier to convert & most workshop/mechanic can perform this =)

For my case, I placed the gearshift on the front-center dash like the auto shifter was before. This would require more time, effort, and creativity. U will need to make some brackets, spend time adjusting the linkages to the right length, get a dash mount shifter, a handbrake assembly, clutch & brake pedals. I can't really put this into $$$ spent coz we did most of the parts at my own engineering shop, and I had a mechanic friend to help me put all these together. Maybe 1500-2000 for labor charges alone.

ken77

Jan 16, 2007
thanks bro AvanT..i think the sri damansara is Daniel?

i need to collect more info now....ah wah dun encourage manual conversions ..coz he like auto car haha..

but.i think his job shud be.good..

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Yes, he always tell us to stick with auto. But if u insist, he'll still do it right? I think not many mech knows Airtrek as well as him. So I trust him.

AvanT

Mar 20, 2009
Thanks for the info Avant, yes I had read your thread many times with interest, although I noted that you used an Evo 4 gearbox is this correct? are they one and the same with the RVR gearbox?
Hi Russellc2,
To be exact, I got my 5-speed manual from the 2nd generation RVR. The vehicle speed & tachometer reading will only match those from an Evo4 based on the gear ratio calculations. Current setup gives me very good acceleration, but top speed is limited to about 190-200kph.

Been doing some further research lately, discovered that what I have in my tranny could be a RS tranny afterall, with final gear 4.8xx, instead of a 4.5xx on standard Evo 4, 5, 6.

Anyway, I'll be swapping it out for a standard Evo 5 or 6 GSR spec 5-speed tranny next month. Had enough fun with the acceleration, time to move on for higher top speed & better mileage. Actually, I have had pretty consistent & good fuel consumption figures since converting to manual tranny & FWD, I manage 420-450km between fill-up, in town driving with the usual jams to & back from work everyday, 25km each way, from Kepong Sri Damansara to Sunway.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

guys, im using the imitation gti gear console n was wondering if anyone has sprayed the lower plastic piece to a different color...the lower plastic piece of my gti console is light grey n i wanna change that to black in order to match my arm rest..

im not sure if accessory shops r selling black ones or not but so far, ive seen oni in light grey...will go look again this weekend...

its basically like da wira SE console like da pic below (tajulsan, borrow ur pic ya)..da part which i circled...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience