Rusty Roof

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
If you change the glue it will be fix permanent. My friend B14 had it, fix it and no problem for so many years.

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
I think weikee has the best solution method but it won't be cheap. It is also time consuming as you have to dismantle the pillar and roof carpet. But if done properly , you can say goodbye to rusty roof.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I had this problem once on my wira. I had a few friends including one who is an auto spray shop owner told me... It is useless to scrub off the rust, cement and repaint. The longest it will last is 6 months before is comes back.

The rust is caused by corrosion of the silicone glue used to glue the roof to the top frame of the car. This happened to a particular batch or wira because our beloved car manufacturer used cheap silicone glue that is acidic. The proper glue should cost around RM 80 or so per tube.

So what he recommended is 2 options:

i. From the interior, removed the ceiling fabric wrap to expose the top frame. Then scrub off the cheap silicone glue previously used on ALL spots. The reglue it back with the high quality ones. the rewrap the ceiling fabric. Then the exterior work starts which is scrubbing off the rust, cement, then paint.

ii. Cut off the old roof, get a new roof fixed and be sure to use GOOD glue.

Option i is cheaper as yo do not need to pay for the new roof. But not advisable if the rust is already very serious and have many spots. Also, there is a small risk of the rust coming back IF the worker accidentally missed scrubbing all the old glue off.
Option ii is more expensive because you need to pay for the roof. Can get it cheap from a chop shop though. But if you pan to continue using the car for long, it is advisable because it is safer. All the old glue will be scrubbed off. And if you plan to continue using it for long, better pay the little bit extra and it will last you a lot longer time.

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

Oh yea...Preferrably don't use welding instead of glue. Most paint/bodywork shops will discourage you anyways. Because it is less tolerable to bends, twist, and flex in which any car will experience slightly when cornering and this will caused certain parts to stress and in the long run tear.

And welding will be so much more trouble to removed in case the roof needs to be removed for any future repairs, modification etc...

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
FYI, changing roof is illegal, unless is done by proper professional.

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
Cutting off the old roof and replacing a new one will make the whole car unstable hence illegal, will not get pass puspakom inspection if you need to see them for other purpose unless they fail to detect this flaw.

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
The professional way is not cutting entire roof. They do by drilling out the skin only, and this is not easy to do, cause the spot weld need to be identify and drill out.

Under the tree mudguard shop will cut the entire roof and weld, this will damage the structure.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
What do you mean skin? Roof is it? What i mean is not including the frame. The roof only... Are you referring to that as well when you say skin?

And changing roof can be done. But of course there is the proper procedures la... If it is illegal, proton won't sell roof as spare parts. There is proper way to do it. If don't want to get approval also can, but risky lo... That said, most people who change to a new stock roof did not get approval because its not easy to detect. Only those who want to change to one with sunroof.

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
Changing the skin aka the outer later, Some car are easy some are real hard especially the high end car. It got to drill the spot well out and grind out the outer later.

Many mudguard shop just cut entire structure and weld back with the chopshop unit. This is common practice even the claim shop do that.

Same as door, have you see how they replace the door panel when you get it from new spare parts shop? it got to take the outer layer out and weld back the new skin. Lots of work and many prefer buy entire door from chop shop.

SHIFT_

May 25, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks all for your kind suggestion.

Personally am reluctant to replace the root, as safety is paramount. So option 1 suggested by bro Veloc would be the way forward, at least for now...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Changing the skin aka the outer later, Some car are easy some are real hard especially the high end car. It got to drill the spot well out and grind out the outer later.

Many mudguard shop just cut entire structure and weld back with the chopshop unit. This is common practice even the claim shop do that.

Same as door, have you see how they replace the door panel when you get it from new spare parts shop? it got to take the outer layer out and weld back the new skin. Lots of work and many prefer buy entire door from chop shop.
I think what I referred to as the roof, you refer to as the skin. The weld/glue the piece of skin onto the top frame of the car right?

wah

Known Member
Nov 15, 2005
I facing the same problem few yrs back. I checked with few paint shop, they mention most cefiro encounter the same problem, so they knw how to re-work yr roof.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
mine also the same, date of manufacturer 2001...
im wondering how to replace the roof since it's in one piece with the body...
Can la... The roof skin just glue onto frame. What car is yours? If worse comes to worse, go bodywork shops lo... The Project Supercar Killer Z31 rust so bad also can fix ah..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys,
Currently run with duratec 272 cam.
However, observed engine vibrate on stock idling speed. I did tried to adjust biss to increase..but, stepper motor will compensate back after 1,2 days.
Any good method to share how to increase idling speed without flash ecu?
Pls advise... Thx
:confused:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience