rusty fuel tank, any advice ?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
i usually advice on changing it jer,but it depends on what car is it for? some cars are impossible to find its replacement. i. dat case, i wud advice differently

wongsengming

Known Member
Oct 3, 2006
i usually advice on changing it jer,but it depends on what car is it for? some cars are impossible to find its replacement. i. dat case, i wud advice differently
is a 1.6 wira fuel tank. but i haven take down the fuel tank, just inspect from the fuel tank float, the float gt rusty too, look in the fuel tank seems to have some rusty powder

you mean rusty on the outside?
outside still look nice

wsukun

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2008
London Calling
rust will spread all over eventually i assume.
better change it or risk for clogged fuel lines and other vital components.

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Cleaning and re-coating cost around RM1xx. Replacing with good condition halfcut tank is another option. Cost close to RM3xx.
Not sure about the cost of new tank though as most people prefer halfcut ones.
DIY is another option but problem will be finding a right coating material as the petrol itself can be corrosive.

wongsengming

Known Member
Oct 3, 2006
Cleaning and re-coating cost around RM1xx. Replacing with good condition halfcut tank is another option. Cost close to RM3xx.
Not sure about the cost of new tank though as most people prefer halfcut ones.
DIY is another option but problem will be finding a right coating material as the petrol itself can be corrosive.
re-coating outside surface or the tank in side? actually i would like to DIY, just need some advice, how to clean it, using what kind of method or material

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Re-coating required on cleaned area. Doesn't matter outside or inside. Main concern is inside as the rust may contaminate the fuel lines. Unlike outside part which can be coated with any suitable material, the inside part is quite a headache, Grinding tool is too much for small area. Maybe you can try 1000cc sandpaper just to removed the thin rust. Make sure to clean properly. Check out Ace Hardware for suitable coating material.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
if its a wira,change to a new unit. dont bother with other tedious works. u have much choices to choose from,there are a lot selling around,shudnt be too expensive imo

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Re-coating required on cleaned area. Doesn't matter outside or inside. Main concern is inside as the rust may contaminate the fuel lines. Unlike outside part which can be coated with any suitable material, the inside part is quite a headache, Grinding tool is too much for small area. Maybe you can try 1000cc sandpaper just to removed the thin rust. Make sure to clean properly. Check out Ace Hardware for suitable coating material.
How to coat the inside? Cut open?

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

re-coating outside surface or the tank in side? actually i would like to DIY, just need some advice, how to clean it, using what kind of method or material
Be careful when handling fuel tank, even when empty the petrol fume can ignite and explode.
Friend kena before.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi, can any sifus teach me on how to off that irritating starting ceremony and warning beep sound for the Auto Gauge 60MM SUPER AMBER AND WHITE? Appreciate it! Have tried to google and tried those methods but to no avail. Thanks!!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience