RON95 & RON97 Myths and Facts

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
RON97 and RON95 Myths and Facts

RON97 and RON95 Facts

Over the past few years, we have heard plenty about the differences between RON97 and RON95 fuels that were introduced in Malaysia and other countries for some reasons. There have been a number of debates on benefits and drawbacks of each type of fuel, especially in regards to fuel efficiency and the amount of distance that would be obtained through the use of thee fuels.

Myth #1:
Some reports that claim that RON95 fuel are better for short distance travelling while RON97 fuel is better choice for longer distance travelling.

Myths #2:
While other claim that RON97 fuel offer better performance compared to RON95 fuel.

But how such legitimate are claims? Is RON97 fuel really more efficient for long distance journeys or is just another assumption made by people?

Let’s find out what the difference between these fuels before we draw any conclusion.

Pumping RON95 Petrol at Petron Station

Fact:
RON, or Research Octane Number, is a number that is awarded to different grades of fuel with regards to its capability to resist auto-ignition aka. knocking. Thus with higher grade RON fuels in your ride, your engine would find it more difficult to auto-ignite as resistance is higher.

Higher capacity (cc) engine would naturally require fuel with elevated RON figures as they deal with higher temperatures, and thus are more prone to knocking issues.
To make this simple, drivers are recommended to use fuel with high RON numbers, RON97 especially if the drivers are driving a car with engine capacity above 2,400cc.

Higher capacity (cc) engine would naturally require fuel with elevated RON figures as they deal with higher temperatures

Technically, putting RON97 fuel into your car does not give you more mileages than RON95 fuel if your car does not required RON 97 fuel.

Nevertheless up till today, there has been no concrete research conducted on this topic to prove that RON97 fuel does indeed perform better in terms of fuel consumption during long journeys, thus we cannot conclude until the needful is accomplished.

Technically, putting RON97 fuel into your car does not give you more mileages than RON95 fuel if your car does not required RON 97 fuel

The fact that RON95 fuel is sold at cheaper prices does not mean that RON95 fuel is of lesser quality, instead it is a type of fuel that caters for specific engine requirements, just like how the RON97 caters for higher performance engines. If your car do not require RON97 fuel, it is best that you stick to RON95 fuel as there are no proven statistics that prove that RON97 fuel performs better than RON95 fuel for a vehicle that carries the same engine.

Petron Malaysia RON95

The amount of distance that you travel would definitely depend on how the driver drive the car, in other words the more passive a driver you are, the higher your chances are of obtaining greater distances with your vehicle.

My Toyota Vios delivered the same performance as RON95 fuel even I has put on the RON97 fuel into my car’s tank.

FuelLog Record for my Toyota Vios Fuel Consumption Tracking

Source: RON97 and RON95 Myths and Facts

Let’s learn the effective ways to save fuel at HERE!

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
LOL, why a girl pic at the end of your post?

BTW, you din't mention anything about compression ratio at all. High compression engines requires higher octane rating fuel to prevent knocking.

Last edited:

Jose

Known Member
Aug 3, 2006
Subang Jaya

BTW, you din't mention anything about compression ratio at all. High compression engines requires higher octane rating fuel to prevent knocking.
except Mazda's skyactiv engine. which is also super high compression ratio but can run Ron 95 just fine

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
Done by you SF?

a good presentation!

however i'm a bit sceptical on engine over 2400cc require higher ron..
its more on compression ration than engine capacity..

example, old mercedes engine and american engine require low ron only...although its a BIG engine...

manufacturer are designing engine so that it can use the lowest ron as possible..
higher ron are not due performance..it is a limitation...thus require modification to the fuel to prevent detonation...
example like direct injection..

i just realise the source..thank SF anyway..

"If your car do not require RON97 fuel, it is best that you stick to RON95 fuel as there are no proven statistics that prove that RON97 fuel performs better than RON95 fuel for a vehicle that carries the same engine."

follow manufacturer requirement...

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I'm sorry to be an ass here but i find this article rather...rubbish. It is not comprehensive, misleading, and at the same time the test (the fuel log) is only for making the article macam yes. Of course, the above sentence is my very own humble personal opinion. So why i claim it is rubbish?

1. Ok so it tells us what is RON which is Research Octane Number. So what the lady gaga is research octane number? What does the number represents?
2. Why the difference in octane number gives a difference in auto-ignition possibility?
3. What causes auto ignition? And how does it occur?
4. Auto ignition and knocking are two different thing. One is chemical, another is mechanical.
5. Higher cc engines would naturally requires fuel with higher RON. Whaaaaaaaaat?
6. Engine cc as high as 2400cc and above requires higher RON, especially RON97. Whaaaaaaaaat? +1
7. Higher cc engine runs on higher temperature. Whaaaaaaaat. +2. So 8.0 liter V8 need to use 10W 5000 Engine oil to run nicely?
8. Ahh..the fuel log...MYR1.90/l all the way. So which one is RON95, which one is RON97 lah?
9. 11.43km/l vs 16.06km/l. So what happened?
10. Holy cow a 6 speed manual Vios!

Plus point, credits to SupraFanatic: yeah the chick is fine.

Reactions: sanekit

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
My engine (10.4 compression ratio) runs smoother and the pickup is better when using RON97.. :burnout:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
except Mazda's skyactiv engine. which is also super high compression ratio but can run Ron 95 just fine
Skyactic engine have knock resistant technology......:driver:

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

My Toyota Vios delivered the same performance as RON95 fuel even I has put on the RON97 fuel into my car’s tank.
Aiyah! This have been said many many times dy. If your car only need Ron95 to run, filling with Ron97 no difference mah!:driver:

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

My engine (10.4 compression ratio) runs smoother and the pickup is better when using RON97.. :burnout:
My turbo can't even run on Ron95 without additives......:banghead:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Is it able to adjust compression ratio according to the quality of fuel?

Done by you SF?

a good presentation!

however i'm a bit sceptical on engine over 2400cc require higher ron..
its more on compression ration than engine capacity..

example, old mercedes engine and american engine require low ron only...although its a BIG engine...

manufacturer are designing engine so that it can use the lowest ron as possible..
higher ron are not due performance..it is a limitation...thus require modification to the fuel to prevent detonation...
example like direct injection..

i just realise the source..thank SF anyway..

"If your car do not require RON97 fuel, it is best that you stick to RON95 fuel as there are no proven statistics that prove that RON97 fuel performs better than RON95 fuel for a vehicle that carries the same engine."

follow manufacturer requirement...
Looking at the link from the photos, maybe it isn't his pic? I apologize if I am mistaken.

Yeah, it doesn't mean that higher displacement engines requires higher octane fuel. Look at the previous generation of ZC31S Swift Sport. 1.6 litre and I heard that it only accepts RON97. The reason for higher displacement engines requiring higher octane fuel is probably because most engines in that category are performance engines.

I'm sorry to be an ass here but i find this article rather...rubbish. It is not comprehensive, misleading, and at the same time the test (the fuel log) is only for making the article macam yes. Of course, the above sentence is my very own humble personal opinion. So why i claim it is rubbish?
You've got a point here. But generally this article is sufficient for those who are not really hardcore car enthusiast. It takes more than that to impress our active members here. :biggrin:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Is it able to adjust compression ratio according to the quality of fuel?

Looking at the link from the photos, maybe it isn't his pic? I apologize if I am mistaken.

Yeah, it doesn't mean that higher displacement engines requires higher octane fuel. Look at the previous generation of ZC31S Swift Sport. 1.6 litre and I heard that it only accepts RON97. The reason for higher displacement engines requiring higher octane fuel is probably because most engines in that category are performance engines.

You've got a point here. But generally this article is sufficient for those who are not really hardcore car enthusiast. It takes more than that to impress our active members here. :biggrin:
The compression ratio is not adjusted. Read more on the engine here...
MAZDA: SKYACTIV-G | ENGINE | SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY

Not higher capacity but higher compression....:driver:

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban

1. Ok so it tells us what is RON which is Research Octane Number. So what the lady gaga is research octane number? What does the number represents?
2. Why the difference in octane number gives a difference in auto-ignition possibility?
3. What causes auto ignition? And how does it occur?
4. Auto ignition and knocking are two different thing. One is chemical, another is mechanical.
5. Higher cc engines would naturally requires fuel with higher RON. Whaaaaaaaaat?
6. Engine cc as high as 2400cc and above requires higher RON, especially RON97. Whaaaaaaaaat? +1
7. Higher cc engine runs on higher temperature. Whaaaaaaaat. +2. So 8.0 liter V8 need to use 10W 5000 Engine oil to run nicely?
8. Ahh..the fuel log...MYR1.90/l all the way. So which one is RON95, which one is RON97 lah?
9. 11.43km/l vs 16.06km/l. So what happened?
10. Holy cow a 6 speed manual Vios!

Plus point, credits to SupraFanatic: yeah the chick is fine.
Indeed. I was very disappointing on content after second picture (starting from the facts section). I was thinking it's a real study and a proper findings which allow me to understand more on RON 95 vs RON 97 but end up it's just a fuel log.

I agreed on #5 and 6, big engine doesnt mean it need higher RON. A M16A suzuki engine is only 1.6L which required RON97 to run properly.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Exactly.

Wanna argue can. Lots of things to fire. Like large CC cars needing 97 is rubbish. And generating more heat is crap too. I'm sure a K3VET will generate more heat than a larger capacity car after a long run. It's not really comparing apple to apple, but in a very generic sense, it's a good read.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Good read to know that rubbish that the general public has been reading? LOL.

Larger engine capacity cars hotter? Dafuq I just read. The writer must be clueless about cars. Regardless if your BMW is 5L or 2L the operating temperature is give or take the same. But if its a turbocharged car then definitely the engine bay is hotter.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
The compression ratio is not adjusted. Read more on the engine here...
MAZDA: SKYACTIV-G | ENGINE | SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY

Not higher capacity but higher compression....:driver:
Thanks for the link. :biggrin:

That's why I mentioned earlier that it doesn't mean that higher displacement engines requires higher octane fuel and I brought up the previous Swift Sport 1.6 as an example. That engine displacement is not considered to be large.

Exactly.

Wanna argue can. Lots of things to fire. Like large CC cars needing 97 is rubbish. And generating more heat is crap too. I'm sure a K3VET will generate more heat than a larger capacity car after a long run. It's not really comparing apple to apple, but in a very generic sense, it's a good read.
Yeah. I think those cars with 3 litre engines like Mercedes S300, BMW 730i can run on RON95 without problem while cars like FD2R and ZC31S Swift Sport can only run on RON97. This statement already proves that large CC cars needing RON97 is invalid.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi there i am having a vr4 enjin in my car.i have change the turbine to e3.so i am planning to boost up.whats the most suitable metal casket for it ? or i dont need a metal casket ? whats the max boost that i can go ? i have change the injector to 510cc and fuel regulator.please give advise....... thx to all sifu.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience