RON 95 vs 97 on B16A (or any DOHC VTEC engine), whats your opinion?

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
i went to kota kinabalu last week from brunei with my biker friends to do some uphill and downhill challenge. We did a couple of refuelling and i did notice knocking with petronas 95 and my water temp is hotter. Normally cruising at 120kmh is 78 and after fill up is constantly showing 88. Knocking is apparent at high rev 8k rpm and above so i kept it low. So after a few hundred km we all topped up back with shell 95 and we were all rev happy. After topping up with shell 97, even better.. Like normal. Im not trying to say petronas 95 fuel sucks, it does its job but personally, it wont be going into any of my engines anymore.

Just my thoughts.

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
hello D-IV,

i saw you guys on friday heading to KK and monday heading to Brunei back... ehhehe...
nice ride...some more from Sarawak also...

having TT at Sipitang some more.... ehehhe

regarding the fuel... just stick to RON 97....assume in Brunei they only selling RON 97 not RON 95.??

spring
in Sabah we don't have BHP .... only have SHELL, ESSO and Petronas... close market in here...

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
Hi Pangyau,

I think you saw another group. We went over to KK from 27-30th Nov.

Yeah we only have RON 97, 92, 88 and diesel. Normal daily fuel would be 97.

audiolizard

Known Member
Aug 19, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
my car is b16a block +b16b type R head. so its count type R or b16a ar?
den use RON 95 or 97 leh?
but previous owner said RON 95 is ok liao wo.... i still dunno la
and shell Power is RON 97 right?

bien335

1,500 RPM
Aug 3, 2009
Johor Bahru
I have yet to strap my EuroR on a dyno.

have been using 95 since the introduction. no problems so far. touch wood.

filled up with 97 during a short drive up to KL, no difference, so on the way back to JB, filled up with 95. saved me a few bucks for toll :thefinger::thefinger:

nates_GTR

Known Member
Aug 21, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
if i'm not mistaken, US not using RON...but something else where the numbers are lower than RON numbers for the same octane:hmmmm:....forgot oredi wat they r using
RON is the standard number in all country. No need to change the fact. I have stay in more than 10 countries. All use RON.

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

v-power price increased already

rm2.38 per lit

aiyoyo
shell station at hartamas still have it. Hardly seen anyone using it. The last time i saw a guy using was in Lamborghini....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

im encountering a krrr..... sound for quite a long time (1,2 mnths ago)on the left side of the bonet. im not sure whther it might be caused by aircon. me using 4g93t engine..

what might it due to? i check for any parts that may vibrates it , but nothing was there

can anyone please help me on this

very well appreciated

thank you
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience