Roll Cage in a Road Car - Legal/Illegal

jamesweh

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
I have a SGTI with a roll cage on a road car. Is this legal ?, for example R3 build 20 Neo Club Sports with a roll cage.
I regularly track the SGTI.
I understand that JPJ does issue letters supporting roll cages for cars used in Motorsports.
Any ideas, how to legalize our roll cages.
In fact a roll cage is a safety device and should not be considered an illegal modification.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
its illegal, at least the last time i asked a jpj officer. its illegal because, it delays the time for the firemen to rip open the car and save u if any bad accident occur. the roll cage usually uses harder material then the car panels, which is causing the delay problem.

i wont fit dis in a road spec car sir

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
road legal if u can hide it nicely... (if they can't see it then there's no problem from them) :lol:

but sure when need to sell u got problems straight away :adore:

EGNINE

500 RPM
Jan 8, 2006
its illegal, at least the last time i asked a jpj officer. its illegal because, it delays the time for the firemen to rip open the car and save u if any bad accident occur. the roll cage usually uses harder material then the car panels, which is causing the delay problem.

sabelt also illegal on road car rite?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
sabelt belt? i dont think so sir, sum of my frens have gone through roadblocks with any fuss with racing safety belts

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam

1 more point. in an accident, it actually increases the possibilities of injuries (or death) if driven without helmet. imagine if ur car terbalik when ur not wearing helmet n seatbelt, ur head bang the metal bars inside the car...

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
Roll cages are illegal on road cars for the simple reason, that should your body or head hit the exposed bars, serious injury will occur.

That's why roll cage padding is essential/compulsory around where the driver (and/or) front passenger/co-drivers area.

Rollcage padding material that are FIA spec are flame retardent and has specific density to absorb impact.

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
rollcage in racecar: in accident, save car n save driver.
rollcage in road car: in accident, save car n kill driver

tecque

500 RPM
Jun 29, 2005
sbn

If the rollcage strengthen the car chasis, save the driver's life, but just take more time for fireman to rip open the car, VERSUS No rollcage protect the car and chasis, driver die in the incident, and it save the fireman's time to take out the driver's death body. Which one is better???:hmmmm:

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

Roll cages are illegal on road cars for the simple reason, that should your body or head hit the exposed bars, serious injury will occur.

That's why roll cage padding is essential/compulsory around where the driver (and/or) front passenger/co-drivers area.

Rollcage padding material that are FIA spec are flame retardent and has specific density to absorb impact.
I thinks normal on road driver accident happen, they still will hit the wind screen, steering wheel, or pillar... it will also take their life isn't?

rollcage in racecar: in accident, save car n save driver.
rollcage in road car: in accident, save car n kill driver
Just wonder how come racecar with rollcage such a high speed car accident happened can save the driver's life. BUT Road car with rollcage will kill the driver?? Are they higer speed than race car??:stupid:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
not all accidents lead to death sir, dat is the one they wanna avoid.. the want to avoid delaying time to save survivor of an accident. i dont think they care too much to save an already dead(edit:added) person, do you?

what if u survived an accident, the car is smoking, about to burn to crisp, u are inside, and the bomba is struggling to cut away the roll cage, wud u want dat? u shud get see how bomba and jpa3 struggle with roll cages, sumtimes they cant get to the survivor in time sir

dat reminds me of the story when a girl died in a car crash because a petrol station dont wanna lend their fire extinguisher..

Last edited:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
I thinks normal on road driver accident happen, they still will hit the wind screen, steering wheel, or pillar... it will also take their life isn't?

Just wonder how come racecar with rollcage such a high speed car accident happened can save the driver's life. BUT Road car with rollcage will kill the driver?? Are they higer speed than race car??:stupid:
not really about speed bro...

where in racecar,driver wears helmets+4point(or sometimes 5point) safety harness...the car itslef equipped with fire extinguisher and driver use nomex fireproof suits...not to forget bucket seats

-well te reason is:
*helmet:to avoid head collision with steel frame/structure/rollcage
*4point safety harness:to avoid the driver being thrown away when the car rolls/crash
*bucket seat to keep the driver sit in cocoon-like structure while being tied with harness and protected with helmet
*fire extinguisher to help keep the car from burning (or prolong the time to burn as driver untied themself and move out)

if u drive everyday with it can tahan ar??? :biggrin:

but i do saw some were running road car with rollcage...maybe because of full padded rollcage..and maybe thats depend on the jpj officer too...not really sure on this....

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
If the rollcage strengthen the car chasis, save the driver's life, but just take more time for fireman to rip open the car, VERSUS No rollcage protect the car and chasis, driver die in the incident, and it save the fireman's time to take out the driver's death body. Which one is better???:hmmmm:

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

hitting glass isnt like hitting metal sir, glass shatters on impact, and they were designed to keep u safe, if u follow the rules; wearing ur seat belt is one of them fyi

racecars are meant to be driven in a track sir, do see pokok, bas, road devider, pedestrian, rocks in the tracks then? the tracks are designed to be flat-sih for a reason; safety. by flat, i mean no obstacle, u get me sir?

bottom line, roll cages are illegal on the road, full stop.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

even padded roll cages arent allowed on the road pomen

tecque

500 RPM
Jun 29, 2005
sbn
Oh... so the reason jpj dont allow roll cage is because there are more risky to have roll cage than no roll cage isit?:biggrin: sorry cos i really noob... thanks for all sifu for advice..:adore:

Then those Japan JPJ stupid lo... in Japan, roll cage is 100% legal...:stupid:

what if u survived an accident, the car is smoking, about to burn to crisp, u are inside, and the bomba is struggling to cut away the roll cage, wud u want dat? u shud get see how bomba and jpa3 struggle with roll cages, sumtimes they cant get to the survivor in time sir

dat reminds me of the story when a girl died in a car crash because a petrol station dont wanna lend their fire extinguisher..
I tot Bomba shuld has fire extinguiher and water to put out the fire or smoke, then only save the survivor...
Ya... the girl's case also remind me that the bomba are very slow...

if u drive everyday with it can tahan ar??? :biggrin:
If i could save our life, I will... Cos my father's Merc Benz all equip wit fire extinguiher... All Conti car come wit it standard... but not for Japan and Local car..

hitting glass isnt like hitting metal sir, glass shatters on impact, and they were designed to keep u safe, if u follow the rules; wearing ur seat belt is one of them fyi

racecars are meant to be driven in a track sir, do see pokok, bas, road devider, pedestrian, rocks in the tracks then? the tracks are designed to be flat-sih for a reason; safety. by flat, i mean no obstacle, u get me sir?

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

even padded roll cages arent allowed on the road pomen
Ya... i been to sepang track... No bus, but got others car to crach wit... No pokok, but got devider and wall... Track is safe, track car need roll cage... Road is more risky but roll cage is illegal...:hmmmm: Pls advise SIR...

Last edited:

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
hahahahahaa.... very funny thread la...
All of u guys oso got ur own point of view, & its very true that why roll cage is illegal due to the process timing for fireman rip the car.
wat mr tecque says oso very true, how come the road car with lower speed but cannot using roll cage...
mayb simple says is, when Malaysia really advance like Japan now day, mayb the roll cage can become legal... why>>? just ask if JPJ really know about car onot... most of them dun even really know bout all the rules... haih...