Roll Cage in a Road Car - Legal/Illegal

heavenz

Known Member
Nov 19, 2004
A car that crash or overturn in an accident will be safer with rollcage than without rollcage. If u overturn ur car in an accident,lets take the girl case that the myvi overturn n burn, if the car is overturn with rollcage the car wont be crushed and the driver can crawl out because rollcage is strong enough to withstand huge impact. even though the car overturn yet the frame of the car is still there so the driver can come or climb out thru the car frame.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

Even though u crash into a tree or divider a car without rollcage will most probably break into half whereas if u have rollcage support the chances ur car are still in good shape are definately higher.

tecque

500 RPM
Jun 29, 2005
sbn
I understood wat heavenz talk about... its make sence to me...

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
A car that crash or overturn in an accident will be safer with rollcage than without rollcage. If u overturn ur car in an accident,lets take the girl case that the myvi overturn n burn, if the car is overturn with rollcage the car wont be crushed and the driver can crawl out because rollcage is strong enough to withstand huge impact. even though the car overturn yet the frame of the car is still there so the driver can come or climb out thru the car frame.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

Even though u crash into a tree or divider a car without rollcage will most probably break into half whereas if u have rollcage support the chances ur car are still in good shape are definately higher.
fair enough, the authority shud read dis and reconsider about legalizing roll cage for road cars then..

xMika

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
Selangor
support .. but then i think the car manufacturer should integrate the roll cage in the car chassis instead of having the end user to do it themself ..

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
i think what xtremeleo n the other sifus r saying is that a rollcage in a road car isnt going to be as safe as in a track car as a roll cage works in unison with a helmet and 4point harness to keep the driver away from the steel bars. when yr in an accident and the car flips, the standard seatbelt isnt going to keep you from flying all over the place and hitting yrself on those toughend steel tubes is worse than hitting all the glass n plastic panelling. yes the roll cage will improve rigidity and there will be less chance of the car cumpling when theres a flip with a roll cage but it still boils down to you flying around in a road car hitting the steel rollcage. besides, a real roll cage would make it really hard getting in and out of the car since there is normally a bar across the door too...not very sensible. if they somehow incorporate a roll cage into the chasis and ABC pillars without it intruding into the cabin space, it might be feasible but then that would then boil down to costs. r u willing to pay an additional 5k for a rollcage option when airbags would suffice for protection?

i remember a video of fifth gear taking a smart fortwo and crashing it into a concrete barrier at speeds...the damage didnt intrude into the cabin area but the occupants wouldnt have survived due to the massive g force imparted onto on impact. sometimes even if the car survives, the occupants dont. we are after all just meat bags! :biggrin:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
safety belts are 70% safer then air bags, plus u wont get injured when hitting it, lol

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
I'd like 2 ask sum questions.I did ask sum frens in certain authority organizationa bt d legality of roll cage on road cars..they too sed it's illegal but whn i ask specifically whc part/law/rule stating it's illegal..they can't answer....1 of them holds a "Director" post sum more wei!hahahahha
but it is kinda true,w.out proper helmet n race suit n if ur roll cage has no padding,it IS indeed more dangerous thn not having a roll cage.....
i understand sum cars do haf roll cage frm d factory but dis r mostly half cage actually...so in d event of an accident,chances of d occupants hitting d cages r minimal,right?
but thn,wat abt d Neo Clubsport?it has a full cage n AFAIK,they dun come w padding,right?n dis r completely road legal car,no?now,how 2 explain dis ar?coz those cages r effectively "add-ons" too,right?
n since roll cages can b legalized in Japan or even certain part of d US,y not here in M'sia?

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
IMHO...this argument falls in the same case with spot welding your chassis...yes it will increase the structural rigidity of the car and chassis and what not...same result can be obtain if we weld roll cage to our car... but then again...by saying that...i have to point out that every car (even F1 cars) have what they call crumple zone (the means to absorb force of impact)...if a car is built as rigid and hard as possible...all the forces if were to involve in an accident (god forbids) have to be absorb by the driver...which even with all the safety feature (multi point sealbelt...helmets airbag) will be useless...

tofu_manic

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2007
without multi-point harnesses to strap u down and a helmet to jaga ur head...the rollcage itself is a safety hazard

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
the thing with safety helmet is they limit ur vision, a safety hazard also tu..