RM115k for new Proton R3 or Top Up for DC5

LuKa

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2005
Kedah
Hkenny,
bodykits are similar to the R3 Neo Version.. accept it doesnt hv foglights and the fender part is tricky to fabricate since it got grills n emblem on it... the rest is paint job and CF parts to match... and rims would be a problem too to scource for something look a like...

this car is more of a overprice collectors ride... for NA is best to stick with Honda V.Tec engines...
DC5 cannot compare with this car even the price is expesive.. since it outclass in many dept including engine displacement.... It should be compared with the EK9 to see its worth the prestige of the lotus racing color or its just another maskott car... to my dissappointment proton does not include recaros n momo wheels n accesories like they did before on c99 series...

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
i seen the actual car....no bucket seat leh......although i am a proton fan, but rm115k is too expensive..but 25units sure got ppl buy lor...in the eyes of beholder.

khoo198

1,500 RPM
Feb 11, 2009
N9
erm......so wht is the reasonable price for dis Lotus F1Malaysia limited-tuned:biggrin:Proton Satria Neo R3 edition? fuh...very long.....:biggrin:

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
Pretty soon alot of existing Neo owners will copy the design (color + racing stripes + CF hood) and soon there will be so many wannabe driving around that those 25 people who paid RM115K, would feel nothing special anymore.

Btw, after doing all the mods and weight reduction, this Neo Lotus Edition is still heavier than a Satria R3, Satria GTi and Putra.

Christ-R

Known Member
Mar 13, 2010
KL
agree... althought it was a limited edition/collect item... but neo is not a legend.... it still is a proton lah..
i think no one will spend such money to collect a proton man.....:hmmmm:

nurburing

Known Member
Feb 21, 2010
Penang
There are a few flaw to think about:

1. Who want to spend 111k on a proton hatch, whereby 120k can buy alot BETTER sport hatch, a used
Lotus Elise, a fully modified JDM and etc

2. Performance wise, it will be LOUSIER than the previos GTI with good ol 4g93, not to mentioned ppl rojak 4G93 with mivec engine head that produces awesome pulls.

3. Proton have NO resale value

4. Spend 120k on proton n visit SC occasionally, nah, that is not wisemen will do

5. The look, only attracts youngsters that have kiddies taste. From a performance of view it doesnt seems any good at all.

93na

500 RPM
Mar 9, 2009
yup better get a gti... 33k areal good condition wan!!!! spent 80k on it sure it will take off! ha ha ha... its just to expensive.... if price range from 70k to 80k it would be a better buy... ap racing looks good but needed on a 145hp car????? twin pot will do just fine!!!! it would be a car to look out on the road... lets c how its performance wit gti, gti r3 and other mod neos!

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
This car has become so controversial because its a PROTON. So people's usual perception is that its low quality not worthy of any form of recognition. So when you slap on a RM115K price tag to it, people are jumping out of their shoes. "rediculous", "nuts", "better buy this, better buy that", "better mod this, better mod that", "this faster, that faster"...

Fact is, its for people who can afford to blow RM115K. For those who want quality mods and parts done by professional tuners albeit being done on a neo. Plus it has the added bonus of having a nice Lotus Racing theme on it. And i'm pretty sure there are 25 of such persons. Itu je this thing.... no need to get your knickers all twisted because of it....

And for the comment on there will be plenty of copy cats. The FD2R, Evo X, etc all suffer the safe fate. This is Malaysia ma, car prices are nuts, n people wanna look the part, but also want it cheap to...

Last edited:

WAFS

500 RPM
Jan 2, 2005
Ampang
Now I understand...The car is a collector's item...hence the price.
So, for a car collector, his garage must be full of nice cars including Type-Rs, Mugen RR, Evo MR, FQ, S20x, M3 CSL, GTR, Novitec Scuderia,etc...so this Neo R3 lotus edition is just a new addition to the line-up...
In my opinion, it's for collector...for normal people like us who can't afford to have many cars in the garage...just buy a Type-R!

vtec_1088

Known Member
Feb 7, 2006
kl perak
hahaha.. lot of people buy proton or local car bcoz they can't afford 2 buy imported car.. if they afford 2 buy it bye2 protonggg.. made such a good quality (actually not 2 good but better) car for export version but for own people let them have a poor quality car (thanks in advance 2 our gomen).. proud 2 be malaysian but not too proud with our gomen.. cheers

MatK

Jul 8, 2009
It is expected for any of new cars to have mixed reviews. Personally, i dont think it is a bad car just because it is Proton. Satria Gti is a very good car. I remember reading it in an Aussie cag mag on 1999 top 100 cars and Satria Gti is on number 70++. I drove a 97 Putra before switching to a 99 Satria Gti. Of course the latter is better but wicked good cars both of them. Sold off my pocket dynamite Gti to upgrade to DC5.
If the Neo R3 meant for collector's item, how many would 'collect' a proton? What are the distinctive values of having it? I dont think just by having only 25units in the whole world is enough to be categorized as such.
For 115k, general public would react like what of us has reacted. Hence all the bad things said. But, i think those people just don't know how to express properly their disbeliefs on the price and unproven quality.
Personally, I wonder which market segment is Proton targetting. Say, they do the upgrading on the CPS engine & throw in some add-ons (handling, braking, recaro seat etc like Satria Gti) and sell it for about 75-80k, i'm sure it will give cars like Suzuki Swifts Sport a great run of their money. Make it a Gti version of Neo, and i'm sure they can sell it, just lke they did on Satria Gti.
What is Proton's strategy, i dont know. But it there's chance for money to be made, why not?
Then again, it's up to an individual what they want to get for themselves. After all, one man's beyonce is another man's rosmah...
Cheers....

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
Do a conversion on the exterior ..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

halo there,i'm finding any best exhaust(whole set/separately)with nice sound(low sound at low speed and vroom sound at high speed)but dont want the lousy sound....hope to get pickup abit for my car...i'm driving satria 1.3 manual...do sms me if got any exhaust with the cheap price for sale...0129563126 matt..if can would like to trade-in my current exhaust(stock extractor-changed mid bullet-changed muffle)

if can swap also good....:P
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience