REVIEW: Toyota Avanza (2012)

Jay

Known Member
Mar 6, 2012
Kuala Lumpur

Re-launched in January 2012, the Toyota Avanza has been with us for a significant time now (Since 2004) and has been the chosen vehicle for most Malaysians, which made it the best selling non-national car from 2005-2007 and has sold in excess of 140,000 units since the end of 2011.

<!--more-->The Japanese brand has been looked upon by most Malaysians as a one that stands for reliability, which has been and still is one of the strongest selling points for any Toyota vehicles out on our roads today.

For some who aren’t exactly earning the big bucks (yet), they really don’t need the hassle of correcting a host of problems – of course all manufacturers are never free of such issues. Ideally, people would prefer something that could “take a licking and keep on ticking”.

So the 2004 Avanza has been on the beat for along time now, and while some would have had hopes that its good-looks (then) would be ever-green, sadly it hasn’t become the case. Having lost much of its youth, it’s now deemed aged and boring.

Now after 8 years, it’s back with zest, some modern touches and best of all, it looks arguably sportier – about time really.

UMW Toyota has four variants of the 2012 Avanza, three trims for the 1.5L variant, 2 petrol engine displacements and a partridge in a pear tree.

First off, the most affordable of the 2012 Avanza comes with 1.3L K3-VE 4-potter that’s only available with a 5-speed Manual Transmission and will set you back about 63,864 (OTR + Ins)

However, the 1.5L Avanza now comes in 1.5E, 1.5G and 1.5S guises and are priced respectively from RM71,864, RM76,590 to RM78,864 (all prices quoted are OTR + Ins) and UMW Toyota graciously loaned us the range topper 1.5S.

Under the hood of the 1.5S lies a 1.5L 3SZ-VE engine, instead of what some anticipated was the 1NZ-FE found in the Vios, that provides about 105bhp at 6,000rpm and 136Nm of torque at 4,400rpm. Pretty decent for a vehicle that’s now 15kg lighter (Current Kerb weight: 1,105kg). All that weight loss was due to the use of high-tensile steel for a more rigid chassis. Even the 8-spoke 15” alloy rims got a 10% weight reduction.

The new Avanza is still using a 4-speed auto, which is still smooth as you progress up and down gears, but just like ‘pappy’ used to say: “…if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. It has been arguably reliable in the past and so long as it gets the job done; right?

The Avanza may not have had much praises to go with its current looks, but at least it’s gotten an upgrade in that department. Its new panels do present a more muscular outlook, especially up front.

The 1.5S did well to instil a sportier air about itself with an updated grill, bumpers, side-skirts and grip door-handles.

On the inside, there’s nothing fancy to speak of, just a whole load of usable space that will help seat another 6 more occupants (less if you've got occupants built like 'buffaloes').

The interior has been touched-up with some newly designed resin and a double-DIN head unit that has USB capabilities. Sadly it doesn't seem to recognise the iPhone 4S.

One thing you’ll begin to notice is a plethora of cup holders located all around the cabin and though we thought it was a little overkill, having more is still better than less. But, if you've got kids and want them to stay well hydrated throughout a long journey, it then becomes justified.

The seating position is rather tall and upright, putting you in that look-out position, but thankfully, head room is still aplenty and is relatively comfortable. But, with a total of 7 on board, you've sadly gotten yourself a boot space that lacks alot of depth.

The gated shifter does add a taste of luxury for certain owners, and with the inclusion of integrated audio controls on the steering, it helps to complete the list of necessities demanded today.

Though the Avanza gets an updated 1.5L 3SZ-VE 4-potter, engine noise intrusion into the cabin is somewhat extensive. But luckily you've got access to your tunes, so just crank up the volume and you’re pretty much remedied.

Handling on the 1.5S feels surprisingly better. Suspension is stiffer up front and the rear feels a little more planted than the previous 2004’s washy feel. It’s still highly-prone to under-steer, but honestly it was never meant to break any speed records, with a top speed of about 170kmh at 5,000rpm.

All in, if you're big on family outings and you've got a bit more on budget, this would probably be a good choice to explore.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE PICTURES!

Attachments

paohyean

Known Member
Jul 28, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
To be very honest..
I find it very hard to like the car..
There's nothing innovative at all..
It's basically what they came out many cow years ago..
Only with a new skin..

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
To be very honest..
I find it very hard to like the car..
There's nothing innovative at all..
It's basically what they came out many cow years ago..
Only with a new skin..
Yeah well, name me a MPV in that price range that's attractive and "want-able". The Avanza is just a car that does the job, it's not a Caldina which incidentally has rubbish space inside but looks fan-f*ck-ing-tastic.

Pros and cons I guess!

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yeah well, name me a MPV in that price range that's attractive and "want-able". The Avanza is just a car that does the job, it's not a Caldina which incidentally has rubbish space inside but looks fan-f*ck-ing-tastic.

Pros and cons I guess!
True, but I still hands down prefer Nissan Grand Livina 1.6 than Avanza even though it's more expensive. The handling, ride & comfort are much better, like night and day IMHO. It also has a bit more space.
If going for cheaper ones, might as well go with Alza, at least got the same Tyt engine and the ride & handling are also still better than Avanza.

the_devil

Oct 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Pros and cons I guess!
Exora cfe??? :biggrin:

Tan Kin Sung

From Facebook
Oct 26, 2010
www.facebook.com
Nothing to fuss about here
I thought it was bang by someone when I saw a unit on the road the other day but after some close observation it was just the body line....
It don't even have technology to save fuel

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Honestly, this car is really not appealing even with the new styling. Just my 2 cent

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Look wise isn't much. practicality pretty much OK. OK for family guy.
The price is pretty high, knowing the fact it has the "T" badge. Typical malaysia mentality.

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
Alza look better than this, got all the similar accersories only difference is the "T" badge and a higher price tax.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Check this video out where competitors were interviewed about their quest of being the fastest in Silverstone. They show around their living quarters, the cars they will be competing in and also the awesome GT5 rigs that were set up by Sony. Something to look forward when the GT Academy season starts again!

YouTube - ‪GT Academy: Tour of RaceCamp at...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience