Review: Introducing the Hon-takdak. Err.. I mean the hondata.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Well.. finally played with it for a bit, and I think I know how to use about 80% of the features in it. Been doing quite a lot of runs with it, and gotten quite a lot of datalogs that was very helpful..

Well, since it is a review.. let's start with the price.

The Price

The retail is about RM2900, including installation, so for some people, this might be a little steep, and I don't think it's for people who just want to tune it once and get it over with.. these people that only want to tune once should probably get a powerFC or something, since it has the commander unit for light tweaking. PowerFC is only like 2.8K or so? For me, this unit is for the serious tweaking enthusiast, who can sit in front of the computer and think about how the datalogs correlate, and what changes would affect what. Heh.. I'm just weird that way, but I hope that there are some zth hondarians that look beyond bodykits and would hopefully enjoy the same things I do, which is totally about engine and engine management.

Not JDM-oh!

But it's not JDM!?

Hey! I'm not a JDM purist, and I only care what works and what doesn't. And hondata really works.. and it's like really easy to tweak, once you have a wideband analogue output wired to the D14 on the P30, can even autotune itself with the D14 wideband input. So far, I'm avoiding the autotune feature because I want to do it the cel-by-cel way.. just so I can observe things.

Features

setting idle/control IACV
One of the first things I played with is idle parameters.. this one is really good for those running loose clearance for their forged pistons. You can set the idle really high like 2000rpm when you start it in the mornings, and the as the water temp heats up, go down to 950-1K (or lower, depending on how normal is your car)

add Wideband support to ECU
The next was chopping up the jumper harness to wire in the Innovate analogue output into D14. With this, I can see the exact AFR for each point of the map.

Fuel tuning,obviously

next was fuel tuning, which was done quite easily by overlaying the wideband reading on top of the fuel map, and deciding what to add and/or reduce. Much easier than my first attempt of reading the datalogs, matching the rev points and TPS positions... LOL. Well.. hopefully innovate's logworks 3 has a plugin for the hondata, which would make things seriously easier.

VTEC Control

There's also the method of setting vtec opening based on throttle and Vtec oil pressure... though in the manual says cannot, but it seems to work on mine, though having a variable opening vtec point, and occasionally having the vtec opening at 4K results in a jerk and a feeling of a flat spot at 4-5K.

Finally settled on the norm.. which is 5.8K-6K switchover point.

Thoughts about it/Random comments

The stock mapping for the P30 is like super rich.. probably 11ish AFR.. though for mine, it's more like 10ish, due to the fact I'm using higher pressure at the rails. So far, from 95% duty cycle, I'm down to 80, and at peak, it still gives me 11-ish AFR.. (O_o) Does 3.5bar fuel press really increase fuelling that much? (O_o).. I have the baseline done a while back already though, so let's see how far I can take it with just tuning on a virgin B16a block.

Ignition tune

Next is ignition tune, but I'm leaving that alone until I'm happy with the fuel tune.

Real time tuning/Emulation.
Real time emulation without extra devices like a ROMulator[/B]
Unlike previous iterations of hondata, like the S100, S200, etc, which is has no realtime tuning options, at least, not without a rom-emulator, the S300J does have realtime emulation, built in to the unit.. heh.. no more bulky romulators required!

Good datalog resolution

And the datalog resolution is also higher than the innovate Wideband system.. I haven't figured out how to lower the datalog resolution so it matches innovates one though, if it is at all possible.

Importing the datalog into excel results in hundred of points, even for a 15-20 sec run.

Final thoughts

One thing I can say.. This thing can do almost anything except wake you up and make you breakfast in the morning.. that one, still your wife's job.. he he.

Anyone here using quads with the hondata? Want to experiment, but if got a guy that already did it, then I can save time a bit.

Last edited:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
the price includes all hardware necessary?....what about modification on the ECU?...
The price includes all hardware necessary but the original ECU. You still need an original ECU because hondata is an addon to the original ECU. The 2.9K price includes installation into the ECU box.

This is how it looks like in the box when uninstalled.. all hardware for install is included.

Depending on what ECU you have, you may or may not have access to all the features. If the JDM P30 and The P72, nearly all features are supported, but may need some electronic components added if you want to run nitrous control, boost control and etc. etc. etc.

Non-VTEC ecu's can also be used, but you will use a relay for VTEC control. If you don't have a knockboard in your ECU, hondata will run, but will not retard ignition when you have knock.

And you can even wire a wideband into the hondata and run it with wideband feedback, just set the target AFR into the tables, and hondata will do the rest.

And since I have the innovate modular tuning set.. I can even get a nice hp graph out.. heh.. though it's not really accurate... B16A with 17x+hp at wheel with 10+ AFR? Impossible!

Well.. it's only useful for seeing how tuning changes affect the power output, so it's not actually a useless feature. So far, since reducing AFR reduced my output slightly, I can guess that my ignition probably needs to be increased a bit.. though making a run and logging that would probably give me a better idea.

Still haven't got the time to do multiple runs and get a smooth AFR curve before I start ignition tune. And the timing belt is almost due as well, so maybe I'll put it off temporarily until I get the timing belt changed.

Oi! where is the rest of the guys? Mampos already ah? C'monlah.. review those damn stuff that you guys just bought.

Last edited:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
if the price includes installation, plus all them soldering work, then good laa i guess....cool....will put in my wish list....

which shop btw?....
Yes, it includes all soldering work. Can even load the first basemap for you so you can drive it home somemore.. heh.

Shop? My friend's shop lah.. Jalan Pengkalan Chepa in Kota Bharu. The tuning.. I did myself. Still not done yet though, since no dyno, have to do it on a clear straight road at odd hours with the G sensor early in the morning.. LOL.. solo drag racing.. :P

I can also solder the socket in myself actually.. but my hands not very steady, so I leave it to the pros.

It's really only for the people who are interested in tuning the thing themselves.. or want features that are not in other kinds of standalone ECUs.

My a/c I set to shut off automatically at 4.5K, so don't need to remember to turn off the a/c switch anymore... heh. Daily driving it the a/c will work normally as long as I don't exceed the 4.5K limit.

Last edited:

udengfahlawi

1,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2004
putrajaya
Visit site
this is indeed in my wishlist, since i want to learn and then be able to tune my car myself at my own time....no more relying on other person's (tuner) available time...that'll be my ultimate goal in playing car....but not so soon lar....puasa and raya suda dekat maa....

hattech-v

Over 10,000 RPM!
Oct 10, 2004
Seri Kembangan
www.avantech.com.my
i'm interested to know actually what hondata can do and what hontada cannot do.

other than direct writing to the ecu, on board datalogging... is it worth paying 2.9k only for few extra features and the brand name?

previously i oso interested to buy this.. but then... mmmm...

harpoon

500 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
shah alam n amp
then what do you use now for your monster....

mind sharing with us all

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
i'm interested to know actually what hondata can do and what hontada cannot do.

other than direct writing to the ecu, on board datalogging... is it worth paying 2.9k only for few extra features and the brand name?

previously i oso interested to buy this.. but then... mmmm...
well.. depends on your needs.. for me, I think it's nice because it's totally inside the ECU so it's hidden.

Connecting a switch to the service connector, I can map various functions to that.. and there's many auxilarry outputs if and when I feel like using them.. 3 stage nitrous.. heh.. If I can afford them... :P

I'm not sure about crome, because I only tried it for a while, but crome has most features of the hondata.. esp the S100 model.

Due to it's realtime nature, I can tweak the map immediately when I feel the need, no need to unplug chip, install romulator, then tune, burn chip again.. install and finish.

In fact, it might seem expensive, but factor in the price of the romulator with a crome setup, and you find the prices don't differ too much as well. Not to mention you need to do the HUlog cable for the CN2 for datalogging, and it's on another program.

The SManager is intergrated.. and I must admit that being a new guy in terms of using a standalone.. well.. it's pretty easy!

As to exactly what features differ from crome, I suggest you download the SManager to see what it can actually do, or not.

I'm still trying to figure out what the heck the secondary tables are for..

As I said, this is something for the people who like to tweak, not someone that tunes their ride once, and that's the end of it.

For me, doing my own tune, I learnt a lot.. esp. about the flow characteristic of a B-series.

Well, not saying crome is bad, because I like crome as well, but crome is the equivalent of the first model S100.. which is like 195-200 USD?

not monster laaa....
i'm using stock b16a eg ecu only...
quite powerful oso the stock EG ECU.. by exhaust and fuel pressure mod, I got 160+whp.

Now I think power output not so different with the hondata, but I have fatter torque from 2-5K now. I have the chart of before and after, but not in the same LM-1 log sessions, so cannot overlay.. (>.<) But this is so far with fuel tuning alone, and my 6-8K ignition timing still conservative.. Currently my fuel tune oso I'm not 100% satisfied, although I'm already at 12+ AFR.

I think I'll retain this AFR, and sort out ignition tuning and see if how the EGTs are like.

Probably go dyno in Sept/Oct to see what kinds of gain I have.. heh..

Last edited:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
i wonder how much the one for the K series is..... lol
do you know shiro?
One word.. expensive.. but only because it's new.. as the system ages.. it gets cheaper.

Current the base rechip (something like a rechip, anyway..) is USD 600 from the hondata site,

While the K-Pro is about 1.5K USD..

Still cheaper than HKS FCon V-Pro though. And you can tune it yourself, unlike the HKS unit that needs the program purchased seperately (i.e. become dealerla)

Kind of depends on your needs la.. If you want to tune it yourself, get something in English.

If you want to tune your already powderful ride.. then go for Japan stuff.. who cares what language they come in? You're not going to mess with it afterwards anyway......

But anyway... I think the K-pro still needs a long way to go, since it's not realtime updateable.. it's probably one of the first versions hondata is working on, much like the old staged system hondata made that was like f**king expensive.

So in one word, hondata S300j <-- probably the last version of hondata for the B-series, which is why it has all features in, which is why, for me, it is a good buy..

While the hondata K-pro.. for me, is still in its infancy... so maybe other ECU systems may offer better bang for buck.

Last edited:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
HondaTech Australia Forums - Powered by vBulletin

there r quite a bit of ppl using k-pro in australia. some on them on dc5 n quite a bit on k20a swap. but the amount of ppl in US using hondata is....
Actually, I'd be wary of people claiming to use Hondata/K-pro in the net, because I'm not sure if you've noticed that nobody ever takes pictures of what their hondata unit looks like.. they just simply post on the forums that "I'm running hondata with T3/T4 turbo with 2 bar boost, etc. etc. and the power is XXXX!".. only a handful actually shows pictures... so I'd say that there aren't many. Or I have K-Pro in my honda.. etc etc.

But in reality, for the K-series, the hondata also offer reflashes, or an addon board similar to the S100 hondata/rechipping.

This is probably the common setup, and many probably claimed their reflashes and the K100 as the full-fledged K-pro setup.

One thing though, is that the K-Pro is not realtime, so it's going to take a bit longer to tune than realtime systems.

Last edited:

evoX2

1,000 RPM
May 11, 2005
KCH
shiro, u use the hondata on b16a or b20b? how many hp gain after tuning by this hon-takdak?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Does anybody know where can i do con rod strengthening? i mean by shot peening it, or even customizing a new one. the latter is the last option lah. my objective is to strengthen a 4g91's conrods for turbo use. or is there any swap job i.e. using a gsr turbo con rod as sustitute. any suggestions anyone? thanx by the way.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience