Review: 2016 FK2R Civic Type-R Turbo

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
For me, 19" with 235 width tyres, should probably put bigger width to like 'balance' it out. But this decision is from the manufacturer itself and they had done the testing so yeah, up to individual preferences.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Currently the latest Mercedes GLE 63 AMG (Merc's answer to BMW X6M) is using 22" rims... Even the latest Audi RS6 I heard is using 21". Now anything above 20" seems to be the new trend for supercars.
I understand they are going bigger but just saying they are more expensive too so my friend switch to smaller from original bigger rims. One is cheaper tyres and two is the size is easier to find....lol

Many years ago when the largest rims was 18" and this was actually what one tyre shop owner told his customer who wanted to order a 19" rims set. Can order but for tyres you better order 2 sets, because if any thing happens your car will be stranded because no body else have 19" at that time......hhahahhahha

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
For me, 19" with 235 width tyres, should probably put bigger width to like 'balance' it out. But this decision is from the manufacturer itself and they had done the testing so yeah, up to individual preferences.
The Mazda 6 2.5 is even skinnier with just 225 tires on a 19'.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The Mazda 6 2.5 is even skinnier with just 225 tires on a 19'.
That one executive car and manufacturer trying to compromise between safety and fuel savings too and of course cheaper OEM tyres.....lol

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
That one executive car and manufacturer trying to compromise between safety and fuel savings too and of course cheaper OEM tyres.....lol
They could've gone for 18' with 225 or even 235 tires, more proportional, more comfortable, same safety or better and probably more fuel economic & better performance too with the lighter smaller rims. I tell you all this over sized rims are mostly just marketing to follow trend, just for show!

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
after some thinking and research I have found that manufacturers of today spec bigger wheels + lower profile tyres because:

- Increases contact patch which is kind of true if we compare a 235/45/17 vs a 235/35/19
- Increases sidewall stiffness to take advantage of intended suspension setup better

Which actually makes sense. If the wheel + tyre is more rigid, it enables engineers to set ride and handling better and allows the suspension to work more efficiently.

A simple article here that I found: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2005-05-01/travel/0505010015_1_tires-rim-wheels

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
They could've gone for 18' with 225 or even 235 tires, more proportional, more comfortable, same safety or better and probably more fuel economic & better performance too with the lighter smaller rims. I tell you all this over sized rims are mostly just marketing to follow trend, just for show!
But not all will like or follow. Guys probably yes, but when time to change tyres they will cry. I know a lady owner was already mentioning why the tyres so big......hhahhahahahha:biggrin:

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
after some thinking and research I have found that manufacturers of today spec bigger wheels + lower profile tyres because:

- Increases contact patch which is kind of true if we compare a 235/45/17 vs a 235/35/19
- Increases sidewall stiffness to take advantage of intended suspension setup better

Which actually makes sense. If the wheel + tyre is more rigid, it enables engineers to set ride and handling better and allows the suspension to work more efficiently.

A simple article here that I found: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2005-05-01/travel/0505010015_1_tires-rim-wheels
Agree Tom. Since this is a Type-R and i believe their engineers put so many effort and time to come out this setup (19 inches RIM) is not for pure cosmetic purposes or trend.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Hmm how can the same 235 width will provide more contact patch if using lower profile? Is it because it becomes more square as the stiffer sidewall presses more of the outside tread?

Yes the increase in stiffness in theory should improve handling but I think you can also go too stiff and end up worse coz the tires are just too stiff to absorb road imperfections and hence skipping and loosing grip instead of absorbing and still gripping. We're still talking about road cars after all, if race cars then different. About 2 years back I watched a video of a Holden HSV if not mistaken where they compare lap times of that car using huge 19' or 20' vs when downgraded using just 1 inch smaller diameter (but same tires and width) and the lap times using smaller rims actually were faster! For me personally I would never go thinner than 10 cm sidewall, 10-11.5 cm sidewall seems ideal to still remain responsive handling yet comfortable enough for daily use to absorb road imperfections.

But not all will like or follow. Guys probably yes, but when time to change tyres they will cry. I know a lady owner was already mentioning why the tyres so big......hhahhahahahha:biggrin:
Yah then when comes time to change tire, settle for cheapo crap don't know from where tires! :stupid:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm how can the same 235 width will provide more contact patch if using lower profile? Is it because it becomes more square as the stiffer sidewall presses more of the outside tread?

Yes the increase in stiffness in theory should improve handling but I think you can also go too stiff and end up worse coz the tires are just too stiff to absorb road imperfections and hence skipping and loosing grip instead of absorbing and still gripping. We're still talking about road cars after all, if race cars then different. About 2 years back I watched a video of a Holden HSV if not mistaken where they compare lap times of that car using huge 19' or 20' vs when downgraded using just 1 inch smaller diameter (but same tires and width) and the lap times using smaller rims actually were faster! For me personally I would never go thinner than 10 cm sidewall, 10-11.5 cm sidewall seems ideal to still remain responsive handling yet comfortable enough for daily use to absorb road imperfections.

Yah then when comes time to change tire, settle for cheapo crap don't know from where tires! :stupid:
Yes, that's the theory and less sidewall height = less deformation = suspension work better.

Yes, the old school of thought says taller sidewall = more comfort. So the tyres act as a form of suspension. That was during the ancient days of suspension engineering.

So if engineers are able to reduce or remove the tyre side wall deformation variable upon load, by introducing thinner sidewalls, squarer contact patch, they'd be able to determine loads better and optimize shock, spring types and more, therefore potentially offering greater comfort or handling.

As opposed to replacing factory wheels with bigger aftermarket wheels, where the suspension geometry have been set prior. Would likely guarantee a harsher ride and ruined handling. Which is what we are all used to.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yes, that's the theory and less sidewall height = less deformation = suspension work better.

Yes, the old school of thought says taller sidewall = more comfort. So the tyres act as a form of suspension. That was during the ancient days of suspension engineering.

So if engineers are able to reduce or remove the tyre side wall deformation variable upon load, by introducing thinner sidewalls, squarer contact patch, they'd be able to determine loads better and optimize shock, spring types and more, therefore potentially offering greater comfort or handling.

As opposed to replacing factory wheels with bigger aftermarket wheels, where the suspension geometry have been set prior. Would likely guarantee a harsher ride and ruined handling. Which is what we are all used to.
I don't know, I'm still not convinced that such wafer thin tires like in this Civic is really the best. Probably the only way to really find out is to have cars like this tested using 1 inch smaller diameter rims but the same tires and width and see if they go slower or faster just like what they tested with that Holden, and be more comfortable at the same time.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yeah, sports car standards now minimum 20" tyres.......
Maybe 20" really helps in performance because back then when R35 is just introduced in 2007, almost all of its supercar competitors are still using 19" while R35 already went for 20". Which is probably why R35 had incredible cornering performance despite weighing at 1700kg which is heavier than F430, Gallardo, R8.

Well, I think the extra contact patch is from the circumference of the whole rim+tyre itself? Let's say a 235/35/19 VS 235/35/18. The 19" will have a larger overall circumference isn't it?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Maybe 20" really helps in performance because back then when R35 is just introduced in 2007, almost all of its supercar competitors are still using 19" while R35 already went for 20". Which is probably why R35 had incredible cornering performance despite weighing at 1700kg which is heavier than F430, Gallardo, R8.

Well, I think the extra contact patch is from the circumference of the whole rim+tyre itself? Let's say a 235/35/19 VS 235/35/18. The 19" will have a larger overall circumference isn't it?
The R35 amazing cornering and maneuvering capability and traction are mostly due to its' sophisticated AWD system.

Contact patch is at one point in time is the same leh, not the whole circumference of the tire what!

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
The R35 amazing cornering and maneuvering capability and traction are mostly due to its' sophisticated AWD system.

Contact patch is at one point in time is the same leh, not the whole circumference of the tire what!
The ATTESA system that started way back in R32 days. :adore:

Isn't it like if your overall wheel diameter/circumference (not sure if the word I am using is correct) is larger, the contact point with the ground will also be bigger?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Im new wit turbos...can any sifus help me regarding plugs and plugs cable?
im using 1.8 gsr and planning to upgrade my plugs..
what is the very best plug and oso cable to install???
will it increase my power or not worthy at all?
tq..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience