Restoration Progress of Soichiro Honda's Gem, 1965 Honda S600

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
wait a minute, i think u confused the car models and such

the 510 SSS is a nissan bluebird, the kenmeri, perhaps what u referred to is a C110 , 4th generation skyline, i have a friend who is doing up the kenmeri. the name kenmeri comes from the couple in the advertisement, ken and mary's skyline. the 240z (fairlady) is codenamed s30, instead. u'd pick up this lingo's when u actually go enough on datsun sites or try this , Japanese Nostalgic Car - Index

very few sites devote themselves to japanese classics and this is one of them. did u see tony5050's restoration on the 240z? thats one car to look at. link on my front page. but yeah, buying parts for my car is equilavent to one engine price for me. but to get a car with the original engine running with the original chassis is worth so much!

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
this car is too mechanical advanced, its run on roller bearing crankshaft, so there is no oil pressure gauge or no oil pressure readout as well. im not sure about the distributors vacuum advance unit, need to check out. this car is chain driven, being very very oldschool and technically advanced too. its sorta like an independent suspension, linked to chains and driven by a differential. this car isnt any oldschool car, theres tons of honda engineering given by mr soichiro honda himself. lots to learn, even a car nut like me finds it tough
Woah, roller bearing crankshaft, not that it needs an oil pressure readout lol.. still, has to have an oil pump. There's two types of distributor advance for old school, one is vacuum driven, and one is weight driven.. the vacuum driven usually got screw to adjust the diaphragm, but with the weight driven ones, not so easy since have to play with spring weights and such.

Working on old school cars makes you salute those engineers from the old days who did all of this without computers. :)

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

wait a minute, i think u confused the car models and such

the 510 SSS is a nissan bluebird, the kenmeri, perhaps what u referred to is a C110 , 4th generation skyline, i have a friend who is doing up the kenmeri. the name kenmeri comes from the couple in the advertisement, ken and mary's skyline. the 240z (fairlady) is codenamed s30, instead. u'd pick up this lingo's when u actually go enough on datsun sites or try this , Japanese Nostalgic Car - Index

very few sites devote themselves to japanese classics and this is one of them. did u see tony5050's restoration on the 240z? thats one car to look at. link on my front page. but yeah, buying parts for my car is equilavent to one engine price for me. but to get a car with the original engine running with the original chassis is worth so much!
No, I didn't confuse the name, what I was referring to is an old school engine tuner.. Kameari
http://www.kameariengineworks.co.jp/

They still make performance parts and old school meters for yota's and nissans. Their old school bucket seats are YUM!!

But price.. :vroam: That is the price of a single seat lol.

And yes, I know the SSS and the 240Zs are different cars... I was browsing for them because I like those cars :P

The SSS was a friends, and the 240Z is one of my childhood dream cars.
Found a perfect example down in Kuala Krai, but owner wouldn't sell.

Last edited:

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
dude this is quite a shame, lol, since im not one that's very well verse with the engine parts, i only could think, that this car doesnt run on mechanical ignition system, but purely electrical? look at this

or point me in some parts of the page in the manual i have missed

thanks

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Woah, roller bearing crankshaft, not that it needs an oil pressure readout lol.. still, has to have an oil pump. There's two types of distributor advance for old school, one is vacuum driven, and one is weight driven.. the vacuum driven usually got screw to adjust the diaphragm, but with the weight driven ones, not so easy since have to play with spring weights and such.

Working on old school cars makes you salute those engineers from the old days who did all of this without computers. :)

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

No, I didn't confuse the name, what I was referring to is an old school engine tuner.. Kameari
http://www.kameariengineworks.co.jp/

They still make performance parts and old school meters for yota's and nissans. Their old school bucket seats are YUM!!

But price.. :vroam: That is the price of a single seat lol.

And yes, I know the SSS and the 240Zs are different cars... I was browsing for them because I like those cars :P

The SSS was a friends, and the 240Z is one of my childhood dream cars.
Found a perfect example down in Kuala Krai, but owner wouldn't sell.
dude sorry, haha, not much of a datsun person yet. i was wanting to pick up a skyline sedan, but my s car project kills me for now, lol. tony5050's 240z was for sale, maybe u can buy it off it? one of my friends managed to get a 240z for 7k,kampung find, most trims were complete, damn it, lol, sometimes its all down to luck, its all very hard to say, hahaha. but yeah, go beg the owner, one day the car catches up with the age and the owner HAS to sell, like it or not, unless his son is a car nut, lol

i managed to source a honda sm600 convertible for another zth forumer here. after much begging, the owner wants to perhaps sell it, so i hope my friend gets it, lol, having the sm600 is pretty rare , over here in this country indeed

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Look for more information under the automatic spark advancer, and it's relevant systems. That's your spark advance for power. (nowdays modern term is ignition advance)

The figure 145 not so clear, but it might seem like the spark advancer is driven by weight, but once you get the engine assembled, it might seem clearer.

From the pictures, it's actually quite a modern distributor with external coil setup. Distributor technology haven't really changed much, except for the introduction of hall effect sensors (some cars) and distributor inductive pickup vs the switch+condenser setup.

You even have the information of the primary and secondary igntion coil winding resistance, so can test that with an ohm-meter/multimeter if you have problems.. nice work tracking this info down.. this will help you lots if you have problems with the engine.

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

dude sorry, haha, not much of a datsun person yet. i was wanting to pick up a skyline sedan, but my s car project kills me for now, lol. tony5050's 240z was for sale, maybe u can buy it off it? one of my friends managed to get a 240z for 7k,kampung find, most trims were complete, damn it, lol, sometimes its all down to luck, its all very hard to say, hahaha. but yeah, go beg the owner, one day the car catches up with the age and the owner HAS to sell, like it or not, unless his son is a car nut, lol

i managed to source a honda sm600 convertible for another zth forumer here. after much begging, the owner wants to perhaps sell it, so i hope my friend gets it, lol, having the sm600 is pretty rare , over here in this country indeed
Sorry, currently tied up with my current engine modifications, of more modern nature.. I don't think I can afford tony5050's car ATM.

But that 240Z at 7K is so damn cheap, I'm going to go bash my head against the wall for a while... :banghead:

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
yeah it seems so, there seems to be a weight governor in figure 145. i have the comprehensive manual, without this, i dont even know how to start. one of the honda newsletter in queensland quotes this

In practice, the S800 engine
lasts a very long time if well
looked after and can easily
clock up more than
100,000 miles.
Rebuilding one is
possible at home
provided you're
meticulous about
cleanliness and
tolerances, although it's said to
be a lot easier second time
around! Refitting the crank and
pistons is the trickiest job but
on the bright side the
crankshafts seem almost
indestructible, and all parts are
available.
http://www.honda-oz.org.au/kuruma/05nov.pdf

but yeah, one experienced honda guys in NY, one that helps jay leno rebuild his honda , took 4 years doing his, when a small mistake killed his project, so he had to redo it. its very very sensitive and requires advanced skills, say the least

there u go, heres the 7k kampung find, lol

Retro Syndicate • Login

Look for more information under the automatic spark advancer, and it's relevant systems. That's your spark advance for power. (nowdays modern term is ignition advance)

The figure 145 not so clear, but it might seem like the spark advancer is driven by weight, but once you get the engine assembled, it might seem clearer.

From the pictures, it's actually quite a modern distributor with external coil setup. Distributor technology haven't really changed much, except for the introduction of hall effect sensors (some cars) and distributor inductive pickup vs the switch+condenser setup.

You even have the information of the primary and secondary igntion coil winding resistance, so can test that with an ohm-meter/multimeter if you have problems.. nice work tracking this info down.. this will help you lots if you have problems with the engine.

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

Sorry, currently tied up with my current engine modifications, of more modern nature.. I don't think I can afford tony5050's car ATM.

But that 240Z at 7K is so damn cheap, I'm going to go bash my head against the wall for a while... :banghead:

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
I guess u need to sign up on the site, then reclick the link as the site is members access only, but yeah, if u don't do oldschool, u'd never go thru this sorta pain, but the end is usually rewarding, u learn something great and u get to drive an awesome car

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
I guess u need to sign up on the site, then reclick the link as the site is members access only, but yeah, if u don't do oldschool, u'd never go thru this sorta pain, but the end is usually rewarding, u learn something great and u get to drive an awesome car
For me, it's never about the end product, but the things you learnt from it. That's why my own car is not done until now.. :P

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
lol, well as long as u have a backup vehicle and a dedicated white rat, then ud never be starved of car knowledge

anyways, as far as i remember, tony wants to sell his car for 50k, but its all done up

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
lol, well as long as u have a backup vehicle and a dedicated white rat, then ud never be starved of car knowledge

anyways, as far as i remember, tony wants to sell his car for 50k, but its all done up
Ah, but you forget, building it from the ground up is part of the fun.. wouldn't have learnt about classic ignition systems if you just bought a complete car. :P

Right now I'm playing with more modern systems, limited only by my budget.. having fun in the other end of the spectrum, but I still admire old school cars and their owners.

There's quite an active mini group here in terengganu where I'm at ATM.. met a 50 year old with quite an impressive mini.. and he actually tunes the carbs himself.. respect! :)

Last edited:

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
hahah, true, well, perhaps would have omitted the ignition system. some of the knowledge are forced in, considering that my own mechanic has limited english and i had to relay my messages to the german parts supplier other side of the world

my mechanic himself, is a wonderguy, in a sense that he does almost everything that is carb powered and no efi. he personally overhauls truck engines, but he does cars to personal friends and family members. so im letting him tune this awesome itb quad carbs, gonna be fun seeing that

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
hahah, true, well, perhaps would have omitted the ignition system. some of the knowledge are forced in, considering that my own mechanic has limited english and i had to relay my messages to the german parts supplier other side of the world

my mechanic himself, is a wonderguy, in a sense that he does almost everything that is carb powered and no efi. he personally overhauls truck engines, but he does cars to personal friends and family members. so im letting him tune this awesome itb quad carbs, gonna be fun seeing that
Heh, do share your experiences.. after my own adventure setting up ITBs myself, I can say that that it was one of the more fun experiences. if he can balance all four just right, then the car will idle like a dream.. :)

Saw the ITB (missed it first time around), seems like got low speed & high speed screws. and idle screws.. shouldn't be too hard if messed around with motorbike carbs before.

Last edited:

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
there is the desirable settings on the manual, if i might not be wrong, maybe by tuning the way how mr honda intended, the car would work like a dream

this car doesnt like modifications too much, mr. honda has optimised the car. even the wrong exhaust set up would slow down the car. this car is too precision tuned, unless u know what ur doing, everything else is wrong!

well lets hope my mech would be good enough with this. i dare not kacau him too much as i begged him for too much, hahah

anyways,

number plates up

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
there is the desirable settings on the manual, if i might not be wrong, maybe by tuning the way how mr honda intended, the car would work like a dream

this car doesnt like modifications too much, mr. honda has optimised the car. even the wrong exhaust set up would slow down the car. this car is too precision tuned, unless u know what ur doing, everything else is wrong!

well lets hope my mech would be good enough with this. i dare not kacau him too much as i begged him for too much, hahah

anyways,

number plates up

Heh, you already overbored it so naturally the desirable/recommended settings are not going to work.. it's just a starting point only.

Anyway, you should try diy carb tuning, start with single carbs.. it isn't hard to learn, it will be useful knowledge for you in the long run if you drive the car constantly. Usually procedure goes like fully closed, turn x rounds open (depends on what carb), start, try aim for good idle at the the recommended static ignition advance point.. for low speed.. for high speed, start with the 'desirable'/ recommended settings and increase/decrease from there based on feel (no dynos or AFR meters in the old days, haha)

Unlike EFI which compensate based on wear and tear (thanks to the idle control, o2 sensor etc), the carbs usually have to be compensated manually, so setting carbs is good skill to learn, and for me, it gives that old skool feel... :)

For me, carbs never have an exact desirable setting... it just doesn't work that way.. :P

Last edited:

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
i have much to learn, lol, lets hope he has time for me, or i have to play around as according to the book. scared to mess up the car and render problems unfixable, its not that easy! lol

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Planning to take the wira headunit and install it in a Atos, how to pull out the the radio from the wira ?

And also the Atos ?

Im referring to the removal of the dash ..

Info much appreciated!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience