Restoration Progress of Soichiro Honda's Gem, 1965 Honda S600

Discussion in 'Honda' started by Kevin Lee, Aug 28, 2009.

1. mick87

mick87 5 Year | Silver

kev, urs is original engine rite?

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee 5 Year | Silver

mick, all original, yes

tie rods, bushes and brake shoes have been replaced. the original brake shoes from australia have no holes in between of the brake shoes, compared to the ones found in the car. the brake and clutch hoses are refabricated with new hoses.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Kevin Lee

wheel stud replaced (far left, gold one, about 10 o'clock). it was broken during the last time it was taken out. thank god for replacement parts :D

[​IMG]

4. Kevin Lee

engine head has been skimmed, manifold removed, gearbox ready to put in. new rubber blocks are replaced, thanks to ortmann's reproduction parts. however, im missing some parts for my car, i need to find the fuse box, the oil pump and the piece that has many wires connected on the far right (cant get the name yet), i have to hunt again , damn

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Kevin Lee

Good news, I've found the missing parts relating to my car, I'd be saving a lot in buying them again, phew!

Found my wiper motors assembly, washer bottle, fuel pump, ignition coil, regulator and the last item, i dont know what it is, i hope someone can tell me what it is, thanks!

I guess, it's best to take pictures of each items in the car prior to handing the items to the painters, welders or anyone. And best to advice them to give it back to you in a box, so they don't misplace it.

so my drive shaft has been put in, awaiting the gearbox later on

and also my brake hoses be redone!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. mick87

mick87 5 Year | Silver

seems like alot more work to go...keep it up!

7. wsukun

wsukun Senior Member

kevin
    please grab a copy of Banzai Feb '11
    they feature scott king's S600s
    i can imagine u being the next

"We speak to Kevin Lee, owner and restorer of..........."
    :vroam:

8. Kevin Lee

thanks to tom for featuring my restoration, its been a long time and almost 1 1/2 years now, patience is really key to restoring this car, parts and headache are always the problem

scott king is a friend of me, though we've never met, but he's on my facebook and we've chat a couple. he is a serious car collector, besides the honda he has, he has a couple of nice classics. but yeah the honda S community is small, i guess everyone sticks together to find parts and help each other in their restorations

id check out the banzai magazine then, i have him in the honda tuning magazine as before

9. wsukun

wsukun Senior Member

i seriously didn't know your variant (coupé) were this rare until i read the interview.
    again, i can see you are walking them automotive fame stairs..
    simply a brilliant restoration

10. Kevin Lee

Well the convertible is rare too at 11284 units, to think about it less than 30 percent has survived the fate ofthe crusher, this car is rarer in flesh, in Malaysia, I believe that loh boon Siew of Honda motorcycles fame managed to get about less than 100 units in Malaysia, a gift allocation from mr soichiro Honda himself, being good friends and best Honda motorcycles dealer at the time in the 60s in malaysia and Singapore. In the 1970s, boon Siew seized bringing in parts, most mechanic would resort to a half cut or transplant, so finding this already rare only 1800 pieces of coupe, would be a miracle to survive in the Malaysian soil, jay Leno has one and has a video of him restoring and driving it in his site, he claims this car to be the best sounding car besides the mclaren f1 and Porsche carrier gt, so I'm all keen to get this running in the original state in hopes of hearing the Honda music, having a car made and designed by soichiro Honda is as rare as a car designed by Ferdinand Porsche or Enzo ferrari, and at perhaps 1/10th of a price of a Ferrari and exclusitivity on the road, this is the ultimate car to own in my garage

11. Loki

Loki Senior Member

Been following your rebuild since its inception. Keep up the good work!

12. Kevin Lee

thanks loki, though id like to sit on the r33 one day, haha. ive only driven the r32 gts-t and the r34 gtt, the r33 is the missing magic number and of course the r35 if ever possible

13. Loki

Loki Senior Member

Sure dude :) and I hope the offer is mutual as I'd like to have a ride in your S600 when its done!

14. Kevin Lee

no problem with that, hahaha, petrolheads have always one thing in common, owning an awesome car! haha

15. Yong_5290

Yong_5290 Senior Member

Finally tagged on the front ZTH wall...congrats bro...keep em coming

16. Kevin Lee

thanks yong, if it wasnt for the support of you guys, it wouldnt made it frontpage, thats for sure

17. mick87

mick87 5 Year | Silver

already 40 pages! cant wait to see the finish car..! but i guess it couldn't make it before cny ?

18. arturo

arturo nooB

good stuff always get the kudos it deserves...am still hoping to hear the first engine startup soon...remember to video it Kev...dont panic last minute n forget to video it hahaha

19. Kevin Lee

arturo, i only have the gearbox in right now and the shaft, haha, i just want to hear what the engine sounds like first hand too, lol, will do and post to my youtube as usual, hahah

20. skazareth

skazareth Senior Member

Progressss!!!!