Restoration Progress of Soichiro Honda's Gem, 1965 Honda S600

Discussion in 'Honda' started by Kevin Lee, Aug 28, 2009.

1. shiroitenshi

shiroitenshi Senior Member

Where is the car going on the flatbed anyway?

I scrolled down too fast, I mistake the yellow kancil for your car, and I was like "WTF, got it running already?"

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

Where is the car going on the flatbed anyway?

I scrolled down too fast, I mistake the yellow kancil for your car, and I was like "WTF, got it running already?"

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee 5 Year | Silver

car is being sent to the workshop for engine installation, hope all be good

so i had these picture side to side and i realised that the japanese honda turned into a italian alfa romeo 40 years later, lol. so much for design limitations! alfa owners, haha, dont hate or diss me!

[​IMG]

3. Kevin Lee

my mechanic services the drum brakes since my engine hasnt returned. heres the disassembled drum brake

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Kevin Lee

ive spotted this picture from my friend's facebook, scott king. he is collector of all 600 cars, s600 convertible, s600 coupe, n600 and z600 coupe. total admiration on the 600s he has! the picture was for a macy's store advertisement in the US.
    this gives me an idea what i want in a photoshoot, hehe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Izso

Izso Boooooossst
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Mr Kevin Lee : You have the patience of a buddha. Taking this long and problems you've experienced to refurbish this car is nothing short of amazing!

6. Kevin Lee

well thanks izso, its not easy, sometimes i just wanna pull my hairs off, sometimes its hard, getting people to work together is hard, but finally, hopefully, all will work out well, this is the toughest car to fix and restore. a guy in the states took 4 years, so this pretty fast considering its only 1 1/2 years.

but mine is a basket of worms, lots of them realy, but its cleaned up and ive got it looking good after a good ol surgery

7. Kevin Lee

Broken ball joint on the car replaced with Ortmann's reproduced copy. Love the Germany stamp on it, I guess the Germans could replicate any given parts!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. shiroitenshi

nice... guess parts availability isn't an issue. :)

9. Kevin Lee

parts availability isnt, but price is, lol

10. shiroitenshi

Lol, indeed. Still, better good money for good stuff, than dubious quality on the cheap.
    I'm wondering why you don't get some of the bits sandblasted to near new condition?

A sandblasting booth is quite cheap now. I'm planning to get one, still shopping around for best prices around malaysia.

#570 shiroitenshi, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  11. Kevin Lee

which one are we talking about, ive sandblasted the rims and some things cant be sandblasted and also the logistics of it, because im too far away and the costs of towing. but yeah everything looks good if u tell me, unless u spot a flaw

12. spyderslr

spyderslr Senior Member

#572 spyderslr, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  13. Kevin Lee

i know this car, its been transplaneted with the datsun 120y chassis, engine and underpinning. this car has lost its chain drive, so u cant really transplant a bike engine that easily , sadly!

unless u can find the chain drive or customise a reverse gear for it, its gonna be a rubbish car, nothing less. so u know guys!

14. spyderslr

spyderslr Senior Member

Oh well, what a waste then.....

15. Kevin Lee

well he was previously gonna sell rm30k in mudah, but now he lowered it. its nothing more than a datsun 120y in a coupe body, wont fetch anything. its really hard to find a car with the original engine if u tell me!

16. arturo

arturo nooB

dun think 25k is worth it too...dun think it even qualifies to get classic car status even.5k would be a good price. then at least the money can go to getting the car back to ori state again. or modded to the max

17. Kevin Lee

well people jacks up the prices because its just a car uve never seen, drive that out and ud see urself in a convertible, i guess its cheap for a convertible, like the mazda mx-5 goin for 40-50k say the least, lol, buts its very unoriginal

18. Kevin Lee

something arrived from mail,

Honda Sticker set and Tattoo! Nice

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. shiroitenshi

No flaws, just wondering if you got the parts sandblasted or beadblasted. Is it expensive? I'm wondering because a guy is promoting his beadblasting booth, and if getting them blasted by sending to shop gives negligible costs, then there's not much point of DIY.

Where did you do yours and how much did charges did you incur?

20. Kevin Lee

i had the rims sandblasted in KL, it was flawless, but the guys didnt offered welding services, when blasted, it left microholes, which was useless because the tire pressure keeps going out

i had it resandblasted in ipoh and the quality was much better, the holes were welded back properly so there was no leak of air and then repainted. so i spent rm500 in KL and not having the thing properly done, while in ipoh i had it done and painted for rm240, lol, sad huh!!! well i guess if u want, refer to my chrome shop, he has leads, hahaha

but yeah sandblasting can deteoriate the metal further, it really depends on what u are looking at, if ur looking at rims, try ur best to source for newer ones, else just sandblast like me