Radiator spare tank overflow

Jakk

Known Member
Aug 20, 2009
Selangor
Nowadays i encounter this " Spare Tank Overflow " problem. Hope sifu sifu here can enlighten me.

Car: Prelude H22A

What i did:
swap port and polished head, guarantee no bengkok by trusted friend.

Bleed the thermostat housing everytime after top up water.

what are new:
- head gasket
- radiator cap 1.1bar
- thermostat ( low temp )

what are halfcut item:
- radiator ( no clog )
- thermostat housing
- IACV ( Idle Air Control Valve )

what will happen:
i fill up 50% of water into spare tank, and fill up water into radiator.
then i travel to cheras for work, and come back to subang, pergi balik around 70km, stop and go traffic + highway.

then i open up my spare tank and see, it is 90% full, and for my radiator, i need to top up around 700ml of water.

So far not yet overheat.

After i got my car back, i drove the car for 1 week without knowing such problem, still no overheat.

Just wondering why.....

___
Update (25 Oct 2012):

When i crank start when the engine is totally cold down, water in radiator wont burst out.

When i crank start after the engine is warmed up, water in radiator burst out.

I crank start the car and idling without the radiator cap, when i off the engine, the water burst out.....
_____
Updated: 21 Nov 2012

I got the engine head skimmed, changed gasket.

Problem Solved......

Thanks guys!!!

For helping me out!! Really Appreciate!!:adore::adore::adore::adore:

Moral of the story : There is no 100% in everything :proud:

Last edited:

spoon civic

Known Member
Jul 12, 2012
terengganu
Nowadays i encounter this " Spare Tank Overflow " problem. Hope sifu sifu here can enlighten me.

What i did:

what are new:
- head gasket
- radiator cap 1.1bar

what are halfcut item:
- radiator ( no clog )
- thermostat housing

what will happen:
then i travel to cheras for work, and come back to subang, pergi balik around 70km, stop and go traffic + highway.

then i open up my spare tank and see, it is 90% full, and for my radiator, i need to top up around 700ml of water.

So far not yet overheat.

After i got my car back, i drove the car for 1 week without knowing such problem, still no overheat.

Just wondering why.....
did u bleed the radiator?means to throw out bubbles from the radiator...u must put water into the radiatortill full..then start engine...wait and see..if the water decrease..top up again..then after bubbles out...then u can put radiator cap..after that u can full water spare tank.....

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Is your fan running..? try swap radiator cap for testing...

Jakk

Known Member
Aug 20, 2009
Selangor
did u bleed the radiator?means to throw out bubbles from the radiator...u must put water into the radiatortill full..then start engine...wait and see..if the water decrease..top up again..then after bubbles out...then u can put radiator cap..after that u can full water spare tank.....
After i read ur comment, i went and did radiator bleeding, is it normal that the water keep spilling out from the radiator?

btw, it becomes stable after a while....will give it a test run tomorrow.

Thanks for ur info ! :adore:

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

Is your fan running..? try swap radiator cap for testing...
yea, both of my fan is running, and i changed new radiator cap as well :burnout:

Appreciate ur reply :driver:

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Then u might wan to change another radiator cap for testing, i change new 1 but later found out it was unusable, happen to me B4.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

What i did:

what are new:
- head gasket
- radiator cap 1.1bar

what are halfcut item:
- radiator ( no clog )
- thermostat housing

what will happen:

So far not yet overheat.

Just wondering why.....
When did you check the expansion (spare) tank? Best to check in the morning when cold. If you check after driving, the radiator is hot, so water goes to the spare tank, when radiator cools down the water should go back to the radiator. If it does not go back, check the radiator cap rubber, maybe worn and not tight, so instead of sucking back the water, suck air only....

Jakk

Known Member
Aug 20, 2009
Selangor
Then u might wan to change another radiator cap for testing, i change new 1 but later found out it was unusable, happen to me B4.
o.O

i using those cap that can be easily bought at spare part shop, is it reliable?

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

When did you check the expansion (spare) tank? Best to check in the morning when cold. If you check after driving, the radiator is hot, so water goes to the spare tank, when radiator cools down the water should go back to the radiator. If it does not go back, check the radiator cap rubber, maybe worn and not tight, so instead of sucking back the water, suck air only....
i check in the morning and after drive. Both filled up. Gonna pay attention on radiator cap now...

Btw i just bleed the radiator, gotta test it for few days. :burnout:

My radiator cap is new, 1.1 bar. Bought at spare part shop. Itu ok ke? =X

Thanks for the info!! :adore:

virqai

Known Member
Dec 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
is that problem came after head swap?..before..? if head sure not bengkok..how about block..did u check or resurface its.this kes always happen...or u oso can try check got any water remark at water pump,pipe that always rubber ring failed..

Jakk

Known Member
Aug 20, 2009
Selangor
is that problem came after head swap?..before..? if head sure not bengkok..how about block..did u check or resurface its.this kes always happen...or u oso can try check got any water remark at water pump,pipe that always rubber ring failed..
yea, came after head swap.

But not only swapping head.
I changed radiator, low temp thermostat, IACV, and thermostat housing, so i am not sure which 1 causing the problem...

for the head, i trust my friend becoz he is mechanic himself, and also reputed member / adviser / seller / DIY-er in our club. Although the mechanic says the problem from the head... ( Cannot say the head 100% no problem la, but the % is low:rofl: )

as for the block, yea, i saw my mechanic gosok the surface with 1 thing but i not sure what is it, but the surface become kilat kilat after that. =X

Will pay attention for water mark, thanks! :adore:

spoon civic

Known Member
Jul 12, 2012
terengganu
try trouble should..but normally when got overheat..better get the engine kosong meyh..as for skimming block and head the cost are quite high too right?

aalto

Known Member
Dec 31, 2004
If the water isnt boiling (bubbly) after a long drive (you'll hear air bubbles going into the resevoir if its due to warped head), it should be OK...

Or just do a startup test to see if water jumps out the radiator...

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
yea, came after head swap.

But not only swapping head.
I changed radiator, low temp thermostat, IACV, and thermostat housing, so i am not sure which 1 causing the problem...

for the head, i trust my friend becoz he is mechanic himself, and also reputed member / adviser / seller / DIY-er in our club. Although the mechanic says the problem from the head... ( Cannot say the head 100% no problem la, but the % is low:rofl: )

as for the block, yea, i saw my mechanic gosok the surface with 1 thing but i not sure what is it, but the surface become kilat kilat after that. =X

Will pay attention for water mark, thanks! :adore:
Are you losing a lot of water? From what I read, you need to fill radiator but the expansion bottle have more water, right? Then it shows that the water is not returning.
If you have water loss, you can ask mechanic to do pressure test also.

For the gosok until gilat, that is cleaning and polishing only. Like waht bro. spoon mentioned if either the head or block is warp, you may need skimming to level the 2 surface for a good tight fit....

peeche

Known Member
May 16, 2006
Sin City, MY
check easy and cheap things first - spare tank.. return hose.. radiator cap.. radiator hose including small hose attached to throttle body.
if still losing water.. check thermostat.. radiator fan speed.. radiator servicing.. water pump..
if all ok then it should be your head/block or gasket. :banghead:

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

try this. :wavey:

Jakk

Known Member
Aug 20, 2009
Selangor
try trouble should..but normally when got overheat..better get the engine kosong meyh..as for skimming block and head the cost are quite high too right?
if go for skimming, the compression will become higher, and normal temp for water will slightly higher.

according to my mechanic.

is it true? ><

engine kosong, red top!:rofl:

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

If the water isnt boiling (bubbly) after a long drive (you'll hear air bubbles going into the resevoir if its due to warped head), it should be OK...

Or just do a startup test to see if water jumps out the radiator...
I didnt hear any boiling sound, nor overheat.

for the start up test....i do it under 2 different engine temperature.

Totally cool down - no jump out from radiator.

Warmed engine - jump out. :banghead:

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

check easy and cheap things first - spare tank.. return hose.. radiator cap.. radiator hose including small hose attached to throttle body.
if still losing water.. check thermostat.. radiator fan speed.. radiator servicing.. water pump..
if all ok then it should be your head/block or gasket. :banghead:

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

try this. :wavey:

wahh!!

i must give u a like for this chart :adore::adore::adore:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
if go for skimming, the compression will become higher, and normal temp for water will slightly higher.

according to my mechanic.

is it true? ><

engine kosong, red top!:rofl:
Some mentioned can fit in thicker metal head gasket....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Considering the Petronas Twin Towers cost RM1.8billion to build, this £3bn Golden Yacht tops the chart in toys for boys. What would you rather have? a dozen Skyscrapers? a thousand Ferraris? a country named after you? a new Supermodel girlfriend per hour? <b></b><b></b><b></b>
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience