radiator questions

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
i have a few questions regarding d normality of a radiator n how it works

- how does a radiator actually work
- is it normal for d spare tank to see a decrease in water level after some time eg few days after topping up
- i understand dat making d fan run on direct current will decrease d life of d fan motor. is there a way to maintain dis set-up @ d same time maintain d life of d fan

tq n ur expert opinions are very much appreciated

rgds

fazid

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
1.the radiator helps dispersing heat through the fins/chambers, and gets help from the fan and outside air to also cool down the water inside. so the water goes into the engine and back out to the radiator to be cooled, and then sent back into the engine.

2.not normal bro, need to see if any leak? Any white smoke from your car?

3.i dont think there is any way to do taht mod and preserve the motor life, another alternative is a low temperature thermostat.

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
is it normal to have a decrease of water level in spare tank it the engine was running at a higher than normal temp like in a traffic jam?

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
higher than normal? slightly higher than middle line? or at red line?

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
Slightly off topic:
How about changing a radiator cap from 0.9 to 1.3 bar in a stock radiator? Will it cause any damage to the current radiator/hoses?

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Slightly off topic:
How about changing a radiator cap from 0.9 to 1.3 bar in a stock radiator? Will it cause any damage to the current radiator/hoses?
i don't think i will cause any damage..

coz all radiator 'for new cars' have a reserve tank and holes on top of it..

if the pressure go up, it will disburse through the holes..

and i think the hoses can withstand a lot more pressure than the cap..

:wink:

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
if on stock hose and radiator, its not recommended cause it was designed to handle 0.9bar.

my mech once mentioned that it could cause the stock radiator to leak over a period of time due to the pressure.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
is it normal to have a decrease of water level in spare tank it the engine was running at a higher than normal temp like in a traffic jam?
usually it will decrease when the weather is hot..

hot weather & traffic jam.. bad combination..

always check when u go through that situation..

and also check ur batery water.. it will evaporate when hot..

top up a bit is ok.. top up a lot = sumthings leaking

Gudluck :burnout:

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
higher than normal? slightly higher than middle line? or at red line?

usually its slightly below half, during traffic jam its at half, which is considered high for my car..

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

usually it will decrease when the weather is hot..

hot weather & traffic jam.. bad combination..

always check when u go through that situation..

and also check ur batery water.. it will evaporate when hot..

top up a bit is ok.. top up a lot = sumthings leaking

Gudluck :burnout:

ah so i guess its normal then.. my car got overheated once, no thanx to jam+hot weather..
after that i really keep an eye on my temp and water level..
usually i top up abit only.. thanks! :itsme:

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
thnx bro for ur opinion...ok let me explain d previous n current set up

previous:
- say..using original radiator..but wiz d top cover lil bocor...so its normal/logic if water decreases in time (both radiator N spare tank)

current:
- now using aluminium rad..water in radiator decrease very very lil if x at all..but notice spare tank decrease a bit n need to top up after a few days/ a week...

now is dis normal?

- how do u see/determine whether d water pump is spoilt or x?can it b seen 1st hand (without taking it off or sumthin)..any test can b done to find out/determine?
- cld dis b d cause/culprit s well?:biggrin:

ps. NO white smoke

1.the radiator helps dispersing heat through the fins/chambers, and gets help from the fan and outside air to also cool down the water inside. so the water goes into the engine and back out to the radiator to be cooled, and then sent back into the engine.

3.i dont think there is any way to do taht mod and preserve the motor life, another alternative is a low temperature thermostat.

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
actually i read in a aussie performance mag n dis article caught my attention...its about air bubbles trap in d radiator dat causes unstable temperature/overheating...very interesting so it got me starting dis thread...

thing is some of us if x all overlook dis small detail...we mod our rides but some fail 2 take note of dis very important detail..true?:)

we have scenarios where:

- spare tank decrease or empty after a few days
- radiator water decreases after a few days
- after driving notice water dripping/water stains on d floor
- how do we determine whether water pump is faulty or not?any test?

etc etc...so wat cld b d problem based on these scenarios?

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
yes...actually bubble trapped can cause the temp to overheat..ive experienced myself before....
flushed the radiator, once completed went out for test drive.......after a while the temp shot to max......luckily it was around my mom in law's hse......then had to do another round of flushing to eliminate the bubbles & no more overheat...

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
ok thnx everyone 4 ur kind assistance/opinions...i have another question.doubt:

i noticed there is a particular hose connected from d thermostat to d turbine (correct me if im wrong) BUT i also notice dat there is a bolt in d hose (i think it is meant to block d water from flowing to d turbine or sumthin)

now my question is....is dis normal/suppose 2 b d way?

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
ok thnx everyone 4 ur kind assistance/opinions...i have another question.doubt:

i noticed there is a particular hose connected from d thermostat to d turbine (correct me if im wrong) BUT i also notice dat there is a bolt in d hose (i think it is meant to block d water from flowing to d turbine or sumthin)

now my question is....is dis normal/suppose 2 b d way?
I think u parts name is incorrect. Its easier if u take pics & circle d parts
:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

how does having a larger intercooler piping,lets say 4" , bigger plenum and bigger throttle helps in gaining performance? how would it affect otherwise? heard that it will bogged down like hell if things are not done properly. very interested in it.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience