Race Course

Crash

1,500 RPM
Dec 2, 2003
Kay-El
vernonchan.com
Originally posted by BoatOwner+Apr 24 2005, 17:25 --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BoatOwner @ Apr 24 2005, 17:25 )</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-KLGUY@Apr 23 2005, 19:26
no different… Jim Russell driving school in Canada & Nigel Mansell driving school r da same…
I think comparing to one of the first performance driving and race schools that run their own race series (jim russell), a school that has taught (in their race courses for which they use single seater race cars) drivers such as Gilles Villeneuve, Jacques Villeneuve, Emerson Fittipaldi, Jimmy Vasser, Greg Moore, Jenson Button, Jan Magnussen, Ralph Firman, and a bunch more is a bit of a stretch.

Their performance driving school, which you say is no different costs about RM1300 for a one day course that runs from 8am-4/5pm or so (total track time probably 1.5-3hrs per driver), and there will not be ANY other cars on track, exclusive use of the track is for the school. Helmets are provided, everyone knows the schedule of events before arriving at the track, drivers are arranged into groups according to their capabilities (whereas here we have all drivers on course at the same time with all sorts of other track day drivers out on track). There are classroom lessons before the driving. One-on-one instructors.

I'm not saying this proposed course isn't a good thing, it is.... but i wouldn't go saying it is the same thing as Jim Russell.

I agree with fordrunger that there doesn't seem to be a lot of info available for drivers interested.... U-Earn, there is not much point in replying to queries by PM as other interested posters don't get to see your replies. I'm sure most participants have the same questions.

For example some things i would like to know if i was interested:

1.Do you provide helmets to use? Are they snell certified?

2.when you say "Its also a procedure to obtain a race licence for car. " what do you mean, is the course organised in cooperation with AAM? To get a car racing licence all i have to do is join a club such as the sepang motorsports club, go get my medical checkup, walk over to AAM give them a few photos drop off ~RM250 answer a few questions and i'm done. I can't imagine it would be a discount for an AAM licence as RM200 is insurance costs.

3.will there be a classroom session before the event to teach racing lines, braking techniques, throttle application, gear chaning etc.? Or do we just go out on track and get taught on an ad-hoc basis?

4.What good is the certificate provided? Is it just for me to hang on my wall or do is there any other use?

5.How many instructors do you have (will it be one-on-one)? Do all of them have experience as being instructors (i assume they do since you said "professional instructors")?

6.Will you have timing equipment?

7.Any insurance or drivers are fully responsible for all damages? If the instructor drives the participants car and damages it who is resposible for damage costs - how about if the instructor drives the participants car and fries the gearbox (pay for damages, tow truck?)?

8.Will refreshments be provided?

9.Do i need to have a full tank of fuel before arriving at the track?

10.What will the sessions be like... for example do we have 10 minutes on track and then a briefing on our performance or do we stay out on track for all three hours? Will instructors show us the line in another car ahead of us or will they be observing is from behind or will they be in the car with us? Will there be instructors beside the track at certain corners to take notes on our driving?

11.Do you have approval from SIC to run a performance driving course during the track day or is there a chance that when i show up to drive they say you aren't allowed to run the course?

That's just what i could quickly think of, i'm sure others have more questions.
---

Like i said it is great that a course is being organised, but it seems there is a lack of info (half the posts here seem to ask questions about what's going on.) I would think that if you would cooperate on this course with SIC they would at least be able to provide a reduced track-fee for the participants of the course (say from 150 down to 100 reducing the already low cost of 300 down to 250). Or you could discuss the chances of arranging to book the track exclusively for the use of the participants so there aren't 100 other cars running around.
[snapback]923250[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Good and valid points dude!

fritz

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2005
Malaysia
www.mrbaoz.com.my
Yaya..i need to know all this information also. Quite interested with this kind of course..but duno much info about it as many of the sifu around say 2-3 hours cant learn anything. SO if there r enuf info about it..then it might giv me confident to join this course..thankyou and waiting for the info..hehe..

chris2000

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2005
Originally posted by BoatOwner+Apr 24 2005, 17:25 --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BoatOwner @ Apr 24 2005, 17:25 )</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-KLGUY@Apr 23 2005, 19:26
no different… Jim Russell driving school in Canada & Nigel Mansell driving school r da same…
I think comparing to one of the first performance driving and race schools that run their own race series (jim russell), a school that has taught (in their race courses for which they use single seater race cars) drivers such as Gilles Villeneuve, Jacques Villeneuve, Emerson Fittipaldi, Jimmy Vasser, Greg Moore, Jenson Button, Jan Magnussen, Ralph Firman, and a bunch more is a bit of a stretch.

Their performance driving school, which you say is no different costs about RM1300 for a one day course that runs from 8am-4/5pm or so (total track time probably 1.5-3hrs per driver), and there will not be ANY other cars on track, exclusive use of the track is for the school. Helmets are provided, everyone knows the schedule of events before arriving at the track, drivers are arranged into groups according to their capabilities (whereas here we have all drivers on course at the same time with all sorts of other track day drivers out on track). There are classroom lessons before the driving. One-on-one instructors.

I'm not saying this proposed course isn't a good thing, it is.... but i wouldn't go saying it is the same thing as Jim Russell.

I agree with fordrunger that there doesn't seem to be a lot of info available for drivers interested.... U-Earn, there is not much point in replying to queries by PM as other interested posters don't get to see your replies. I'm sure most participants have the same questions.

For example some things i would like to know if i was interested:

2.when you say "Its also a procedure to obtain a race licence for car. " what do you mean, is the course organised in cooperation with AAM? To get a car racing licence all i have to do is join a club such as the sepang motorsports club, go get my medical checkup, walk over to AAM give them a few photos drop off ~RM250 answer a few questions and i'm done. I can't imagine it would be a discount for an AAM licence as RM200 is insurance costs.

3.will there be a classroom session before the event to teach racing lines, braking techniques, throttle application, gear chaning etc.? Or do we just go out on track and get taught on an ad-hoc basis?

4.What good is the certificate provided? Is it just for me to hang on my wall or do is there any other use?

5.How many instructors do you have (will it be one-on-one)? Do all of them have experience as being instructors (i assume they do since you said "professional instructors")?

7.Any insurance or drivers are fully responsible for all damages? If the instructor drives the participants car and damages it who is resposible for damage costs - how about if the instructor drives the participants car and fries the gearbox (pay for damages, tow truck?)?

10.What will the sessions be like... for example do we have 10 minutes on track and then a briefing on our performance or do we stay out on track for all three hours? Will instructors show us the line in another car ahead of us or will they be observing is from behind or will they be in the car with us? Will there be instructors beside the track at certain corners to take notes on our driving?

11.Do you have approval from SIC to run a performance driving course during the track day or is there a chance that when i show up to drive they say you aren't allowed to run the course?

That's just what i could quickly think of, i'm sure others have more questions.
---

Like i said it is great that a course is being organised, but it seems there is a lack of info (half the posts here seem to ask questions about what's going on.) I would think that if you would cooperate on this course with SIC they would at least be able to provide a reduced track-fee for the participants of the course (say from 150 down to 100 reducing the already low cost of 300 down to 250). Or you could discuss the chances of arranging to book the track exclusively for the use of the participants so there aren't 100 other cars running around.
[snapback]923250[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Hi guys!!

This seemed to be a very interesting post here and these a just some of my point of views only.

I think U-earn stated pretty clearly in his/her earlier posting (05/04/05) that this is a Special INTRODUCTION Racing Course or namely TRACK GUIDE EXPERIENCE to be held on sunday track days and a fee of RM150 will be charged by the relevant instructors.

I don't think this is a full or proper racing course as these Proper Racing Course will cost much more and to be realistic guys, I don't think anyone can learn racing in one Sunday Track Day. Can any car enthuasist or Racer in this Forum say they can learn how to race in One Sunday Track day. Come on guys, be realistic. I think it just a Track Guide Experience like U-earn said, giving you guide how it is to drive in a track and to improve one skill in driving fast in a track.

And also one thing, I always feel that a good racer may not necessary mean be a good instructor, like wise a good instructor may not always be a good racer. For example how many famous football coach was a famous football player?? So I think everyone interested in any courses should check with the relevant schools on the experiences their instructors have.

Boatowner,

HOW MANY COURSES YOU KNOW THAT PROVIDE SNELL HELMETS IN MALAYSIA? I DON'T THINK ANY. I HAD SEEN SOME COURSES ARANGED IN SEPANG AND ONLY SIRIM HELMETS ARE PROVIDED AT THE MOST. RM150 COURSE TO LET YOU USE RM1000 SNELL HELMET? I WOULD THINK ITS A RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PARTICIPANT TO BUY THE BEST HELMETS THEY CAN AFFORD.

I DON'T THINK SEPANG MOTORSPORTS CLUB IS REGISTERED OR CERTIFIED BY AAM. U GOT TO DOUBLE CHECK WITH AAM. I THINK ITS MORE OF TO PREPARE YOURSELF TO LEARN HOW TO RACE RATHER THAN TO OBTAIN LICENCE. I THINK U-EARN GOT THIS WRONG.

RM150 FOR GUIDE AND YOU EXPECT GOT CLASSROOM?? I DON'T THINK THE FEE CAN EVEN COVER CLASSROOM RENTAL IN SEPANG. BE REALISTIC.

CERTIFICATE IS A VERY SUBJECTIVE QUESTIONS. IT DEPENDS WHY YOU WANT IT FOR? JUST FOR YOUR OWN SATISFACTION OR AN INTERNATIONAL GUIDE. IF WANT INTERNATIONAL GUIDE/STATUS THEN HAVE TO INVEST MORE, GOING OVERSEAS AND PAYING TENS OF THOUSAND FOR COURSE FEE, FLIGHT AND ACCOMODATION.

I WOULD ASSUMED THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE EXPERIENCE INSTRUCTORS OTHERWISE THEY SHOULDN'T SAY THIS. BUT ITS ALWAYS BEST TO CONFIRM WITH THE RELATED SCHOOL.

RM150 FOR USING TIMING MACHINE AS WELL?? BE REALISTIC.

EVEN SEPANG HAS A INDEMINITY LETTER TO SIGN WHEN U PARTICIPATE IN ANY EVENT. AS FOR DAMAGES ON STUDENT CAR, HMM... THIS IS A GOOD QUESTION. THIS IS WHY I SUGGEST YOU TO CHECK THE EXPERIENCE AND PROFESSIONALISM OF THE INSTRUCTORS. WHAT IF THE ENGINE OR GEARBOX FAILURE DURING THE CLASS BUT DUE TO ENGINE OR GEARBOX TUNING PROBLEM AND NOT THE INSTRUCTOR. THIS WILL POST A BIG ARGUMENT HERE AS TO IDENTIFY WHETHER CAR PROBLEM OR DRIVER PROBLEM. BEST TO CHECK AND CLARIFY WITH THE INSTRUCTORS. BUT I DOUBT ANY INSTRUCTORS IN MALAYSIA AND EVEN IN OVERSEA COUNTRY CAN WARRANTY A STUDENT CAR.

RM150 WITH REFRESHMENTS?? BE REALISTIC.

I WOULD THINK YES. OTHERWISE YOU WILL BE WASTING TIME DURING THE 3HR TRACK DAY TO GO OUT TO PUMP PETROL WHEN IT RUNS LOW.

FOR A TRACK GUIDE, I THINK IT IS THE DUTY OF THE INSTRUCTOR TO AT LEAST SIT IN THE PARTICIPANT'S CAR TO SEE THEIR DRIVING SKILLS AND LINES AND BRAKING POINTS AND SO FORTH, AND MAKE NECESSARY ADVICE AND GUIDE THE PARTICIPANTS TO IMPROVE THEMSELVES IN THE TRACK.

HOW TO HAVE INSTRUCTORS IN EVERY CORNER TO SEE YOU DRIVING? 15 CORNERS IN SEPANG AND YOU WILL BE NEEDING 15 INSTRUCTORS AT EVERY POST WHERE THE MARSHAL STAND. POSSIBLE?? LOGIC TELLS ME NO, UNLESS THE FEES ALL GOES INTO TENS OF THOUSAND, ELSE HOW TO EMPLOY SO MANY INSTRUCTORS.

LIKE I SAID ABOVE, I DON'T THINK THIS IS A PROPER RACING COURSE, BUT RATHER LIKE WHAT U-EARN SAID AN INTRODUCTION TO RACING COURSE OR TRACK GUIDE EXPERIENCE. AND I DON'T THINK SIC WILL STOP ANYONE CARRYING A PASSANGER NEXT TO THE DRIVER.

IF A PROPER COURSE TO BE RUN IN SEPANG IN A CLOSED PRIVATE SESSION, I THINK RENTING THE SIC TRACK FOR A DAY EASILY RUNS INTO RM50,000 FOR A DAY LIKE WHAT SOME INTERNATIONAL RACE TEAMS AND COMPANIES DO, TO DO PRIVATE PRACTISE AND TESTING OF PRODUCTS OR LAUNCHING OF PRODUCTS. SO WITH A MINIMAL FEE OF RM150, JUST IMAGINE HOW MANY STUDENTS YOU NEED JUST TO COVER THE PRIVATE TRACK RENTAL OR RATHER HOW MANY STUDENTS CAN AFFORD TO PAY PREMIUM PRICE FOR PROPER PRIVATE CLOSED SESSION TRAINING IN SEPANG.

I'm just trying give some of my point of view as I see that, there are instructors who are willing to give guidance and help to the general public to be a better and safer driver on the track with a minimal fee of RM150, but yet they are questioned with things and demands that are sky high. You will have to understand that everyone is out there to make a living. It will cost the instructors, toll money, petrol charges and valuable family time on sunday to drive down to sepang just to give you guys Track guide.. If they are not making at least a little money, then why would anyone want to go down to Sepang to provide proper Track guide to the participants? Isn't it better to just stay home on a hot sunday afternoon just to watch Astro?

chris

Kenboy

Known Member
Apr 23, 2004
chris,,

*clap*clap*clap*clap*

malaysians have it good and they dun know it. if you compare conditions here and in 1st world countries, we have it pretty good. make the most of it guys.

ninja_iga

3,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2003
Visit site
hahaha

wokie wokie slow down guys :)

honestly RM150 for an introductory racing course is pretty worth it, IMHO :)

and refreshments will be nice. Drinks are pretty cheap whaaaaaaaaaaaaat..
:P

with respect to both Chris and BoatOwner, both have valid points, U-Earn or the Instructors should answer :) hence the questions :)

we're all curious maaaaaa.

oh, one other thing, let the participants report back here on what they learned :)

BoatOwner

Known Member
Feb 25, 2004
morris-racing.com
Originally posted by chris2000@Apr 25 2005, 18:07
.............there are instructors who are willing to give guidance and help to the general public to be a better and safer driver on the track with a minimal fee of RM150, but yet they are questioned with things and demands that are sky high.
Chris it seems that you completely missunderstood the intention of my post, i'm sorry if i didn't make it clear enough. None of my comments were demands, they were simple questions to clear up issues that participants might want to know, and a few suggestions some which might be plausible others maybe not. For example there might be 10 guys show up without helmets if they aren't told that they need to bring their own helmets.

Refreshment question likewise. A simple answer from the instructors could be "refreshements are available at the pits for RM1.50 a can/bottle, or down the road at the petronas station." - would suck having not brought any drinks and not having any available at the track.

I did say "Will there be instructors beside the track at certain corners to take notes on our driving?" I didn't say EVERY corner. For example having just 1 instructor at t1/t2 could provide invaluable feedback to the drivers. btw... 15 corners there might be, but some corners such as T3 do not need any attention as they are so straight forward, and T1/T2 covered by one guy, T7/8 by one guy, T12/13/14 by one guy... you'd hardly need 15 instructors to cover all corners, and that's not what i was even asking/suggesting, not demanding.

I also never said it was a proper racing course, either are the courses i compared to.

Q11 was simply to check that sepang does not mind having instructors profiting at their track, a simple yes/no answer is enough to ensure participants that everything will be ok.

Timing equipment question: Stopwatches are readily available and cheap, and most people probably have them, many on their phones. The instructor taking laptimes in the passenger seat for example works. Or an answer such as "we feel that times are not an important factor, enough can be ascertained from just driving feedback."

I was looking for answers from the organisers of the event, not from somebody that thought i was dissing the program, that wasn't my intention, sorry if i made it seem that way.

"RM150 FOR GUIDE AND YOU EXPECT GOT CLASSROOM??": a classroom session can be arranged at the nearby carpark for example... there is no need for rental of an actual room. I didn't say "will there be a classroom?" - there is no need to sit at desks for a theory session to take place. IMO a very good idea rather than just going out on track right away. and i did not say i "expect there to be a classroom" or "i demand that there be a classroom" i asked if there is going to be a classroom session.

"I DON'T THINK SEPANG MOTORSPORTS CLUB IS REGISTERED OR CERTIFIED BY AAM. " - Yes it is. - you can double check with AAM if you don't trust me.

Like i said twice in my previous post: i think it is very good what these guys are doing. - i also mentioned that it is a very low price (extremely low in fact) :blink: - i was just asking questions that i hope will be answered by somebody who actually knows the answers for the benefit of the possible participants and preferably without using caps throughout.

To be able to use a track with facilities that put to shame most other track on the planet on so many sundays thoughout the year for just RM150 for a 3 hour session is unheard of anywhere on European tracks for example.

prozac

1,000 RPM
Jan 18, 2004
Visit site
Pulling out, since I've already been through something more or less similar. Thanks for the clarification on the syllabus. Will recommend my friends to join, though :)

Interested Candidates
1. crash
2. rps13_R
3. KLGUY
4. S1997
5. Rickster
6. JeNnY
7. KiM

U-Earn

Mar 10, 2005
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Attention:

There is a change of date and we would like to organize the course on the ‘8th of May’ (Sunday). The reason is all my Instructors will be in Singapore on the 22nd of May because of a course over there. I apologize for the last minute notice.

Update:

Course date: 8th of May 2005 (Sunday Track Day)
Course fee: RM 150 per head
Track fee: RM 150 per driver (pay to the track office)
Total: RM 300
Use own vehicle
Certificate and handout provided
Bring your own Helmet!
Pump full tank of petrol! (petronas is just around the corner)
Time: 1400 – 1700

Pls state your name
Interested Candidates

Ps: Pls email or pm me your details (name and contact). Need to prepare your certs.

Thank you!

Last edited:

nismo_rps13_R

May 1, 2005
woiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, any1 going???

sagaburuk

Dec 19, 2003
hi there..
i am sagaburuk.. sorry to interrupt..

u-earn..
if you're going to charge that 150 for track rental and another 150 for course fee.. then.. i am suggesting you to do it may be on the weekdays.. it may be safer for you and for those learners..
the reason is that.. normally there are so many participants and cars in the track on sundays.. and most of them are on their fully modded track cars.. some more.. some of the fast cars from s'pore are also there.. i think may be its not really practical to guide your learners in that environment..

just my 2cents suggestion..

- sagaburuk -

U-Earn

Mar 10, 2005
Visit site
I would like to inform to you guys that this course will be shut down. Maybe some other time. The Instructors will be going to overseas for courses. Truly interested participant you can deal directly with Kenvin Low. Tq!

Cheers,

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
Crash said:
What? Course is shutting down? So no course even on the 7th?
Yo Crash, on the 7th your course wil be with the Prince of Drift himself. Tengku Djan Ley will be on hand to give tips to the Satria R3 owners.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello again!

I would like to ask if anybody tried to DIY a motorized side mirror
on a non-motorized side mirror before?
Am driving a Persona M-Line. On the market, there is motorized ones but it cost RM180++ per pair.

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2186101/all
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience