question: cannard

simonchangwaimun

1,500 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
Cheras
teamshadowrider.multiply.com
does cannards really help the car get more grip?
is it only for straight line or on corners as well?
coz rear spoiler/wing helps in straight line and corners
juz curoius about the front one
does that mean,for example, car A would understeer at 60kmph but with cannard the car will not understeer at 60kmph?
or is it mainly for looks?
thanx

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
front downforce is important for FF cars.... canards do help a little... but installing a gt wing at the front hood would help more... hehehehe....

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
I think there are calculations involved in putting cannards. I believe those used in GT cars have gone through calculation as those cars go at very high speeds. As such, it would help their car to a certain extent.

As for our cars... erm... I'd rather just not install it. At the speed we do during corners, I think it does little to help. Might as well install direction thrusters. Means, at the front and rear bumper, facing the side of the car, there are thrusters. When you turn right, the thrusters on the left will fire up. This will then prevent your car from sliding due to those thrusters. hehehe

simonchangwaimun

1,500 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
Cheras
wat's a thruster?
got pics?

b00n

3,000 RPM
Aug 16, 2005
KL
i guessed alot is just for looks....
anyway, like wat was stressed above; the competition cars do have calculations whereby they know how long and wide the cannard is going to be to suit their car...
and obviously they know which part to install upon.
Unless we're really that pro; yes it does help.....but I think majority out there are just going for the looks...

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
nolah... actually people install canards is to cut mat rempits legs away.....
not for aerodynamics la... they are used as weapons....

MK84

1,500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
www.mk84.com
simonchangwaimun said:
does cannards really help the car get more grip?
is it only for straight line or on corners as well?
coz rear spoiler/wing helps in straight line and corners
juz curoius about the front one
does that mean,for example, car A would understeer at 60kmph but with cannard the car will not understeer at 60kmph?
or is it mainly for looks?
thanx
Buy the latest issue of Sport Compact Car. They have quite and in-depth laymans explaination of car aerodynamics.

simonchangwaimun

1,500 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
Cheras
sports compact car mag?
amenda tu?wahahha
orait...thanx bro
latest = september or october?

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
cannards = frontal spoilers to give front downforce whereas rear spoilers give rear downforce.help u get ur car stuck on the ground for more grip n stability...effective if ur travelling the speeds of say 200km/h? mainly race/track use...gonna put on a road car? just for looks lah

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
but will it front downforce helps the car stability at high speeds in a straightline??... means not going for cornering la..
coz protons cars usually prone to "float" at high speeds, especially iswara....

minor front downforce will help the car to be more stable at high speeds....

ehaab

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2005
Malaysia
Unless and until one knows his cars Aerodynamic Profile..u cant get help from any of these "GT-wings" "canards"...
A lot of knowledge and expertise is needed to install such things. Unless it comes factory fitted, its better not to install any of this junk that is available in the market...
Some of this may actually harm the aerodynamics of ur car..

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
SkYwAlKeR said:
but will it front downforce helps the car stability at high speeds in a straightline??... means not going for cornering la..
coz protons cars usually prone to "float" at high speeds, especially iswara....

minor front downforce will help the car to be more stable at high speeds....

i donno the canard sold in accesories can withstand the force, and pressing the front of the car down during high speed driving.....I takut if not istalled properly, the carnard might fly off......Canard turn into a boomerang pulak.....LOL

b00n

3,000 RPM
Aug 16, 2005
KL
yeap; agreed with ehaab.
Like the production of Veyron (Buggati).......
the hardest part is actually to figure out how to keep the car sticking on the ground at high speed. Which involve around 3 years (if I'm not mistaken) just to calculate based on the aerodynamics and downforce!

MaNofWaR

500 RPM
Nov 22, 2003
On the AiR
Visit site
i have canards and splitters fitted to my car. basically its only functional at speeds above 100km/h. car nose feels more planted thus giving u better confidence level negotiating a bend.

racing cars go thru wind tunnel testing to ensure optimize usage by speeds

yes it does help stray away rempits coz its sticks out thus preventing them to 'cilok' by your bumper. but ensure splitters u have are really strong. otherwise its gonna be broken. had one exprience when one of them 'cilok' in front of me during jam (he just got his leg bruised) & mine is still intact

just my 20 baht

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

What’s the deal?

BMW Malaysia has rolled out their latest addition to the F30 3-Series fleet, the 330e hybrid at BMW Innovation Days Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur today.

Equipped with a state-of-the-art electric motor working harmoniously with BMW's...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience