[Q]Unit measurement of power

kk9972

Known Member
Dec 27, 2005
Hi All master here,
I would like to comparewhat what is the different between HP and BHP, bar and PSI.
It makes me confuse some of the time. Does anyone know?

emechelmi

Jul 5, 2006
HP is general measurement of power. BHP is measured by applying a resistance (brake) to an engine until it ceases to run. 1 HP is equivalent to 746 W in metric system.

bar and PSI are the unit to measure pressure, not power. One is a metric and the other is imperial. 1 bar refers to 100 kN/m2 or 100kPa. PSI (pound per square inch) comes from Imperial unit system.

kk9972

Known Member
Dec 27, 2005
Hi emechemil,
Thanks for the explaination.
So, HP is generate measurement being calculated from engine output (watt)? Is it? BHP is the way by deducting the resistances to get the actual power?
Example, 160 BHP is more power compare to 160 HP?

Bar and PSI, pressure measurement. This thing confuses me a lot with the boost meter with offering PSI or Bar reading. So, in this case, if I boosted at 0.7 bar, what is the reading in boost with offers PSi reading?

Thanks for the help in advance.

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
emechelmi said:
HP is general measurement of power. BHP is measured by applying a resistance (brake) to an engine until it ceases to run. 1 HP is equivalent to 746 W in metric system.

bar and PSI are the unit to measure pressure, not power. One is a metric and the other is imperial. 1 bar refers to 100 kN/m2 or 100kPa. PSI (pound per square inch) comes from Imperial unit system.
yeah, to make things easier and faster - use wiki!

but the quote above is correct though.

HP is measured at engine's crank pully which is the power supplier like a horse.
BHP is measured at the wheel; where the brake is located - hence the acronym of 'brake horse power.'

kk9972

Known Member
Dec 27, 2005
Share with you guys

Thanks for you guys reply. I got the ideal now. cool~:shades_smile:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.citroen.co.uk/conversion/c_converter_rates.asp?pagetype=c_converter_rates

Just found this useful unit conversion table from Net. Quite useful for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey ZTH-ians. Im planning to change my exhaust piping system, but the thing is I dont want that Deeep loud noise like the one on a Subaru STi V8. No. I want a high pitched sound like an F1 or the LExus LFA perhaps. Can anybody out there help me?

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience