Putra gear not smooth

xhaan

Jan 15, 2010
Selangor
i always had this problem but i tried to get use to it, i guess i can't...
see the thing is, when i shift gears, its a bit hard to shift into gear 1, 5, and reverse, sometimes i have to play with it to find the gears, i don't want to force the gear harshly so any comments?

-the car was originally auto, previous owner changed it to manual.
-the clutch pedal is also problematic, it always ruins my upper clutch pump's grease making the grease enter the gear oil container.

is it because the clutch pump not working properly thats why its hard to shift gears smoothly?
just trying to get an outside of the box thinking with the seniors here :)

ibra76

Jul 10, 2006
Im a putra owner too..had problem with my 5th gear which would kick back to neutral when cruising. Solved by replacing 5th gear with MIVEC one. So far so good but at 100kmh the rpm is around 2.7k compared to previous is 3k at 100kmh. Please advise if this is normal.

And now i am facing problem to engage in gear 1 and 2. It is so sticky and nowadays have to push it with force to engage. Strangely once in a while it will engage smoothly. example out of 10 times maybe 3 time is smooth. What could be the problem, please reply. Honestly im very irritated especially when have to shift quickly in heavy traffic condition.

xhaan

Jan 15, 2010
Selangor
same!! my prob is similar like yours except for the kicking to neutral one, i dont know what is causing the problem though...

Sergei_korolev

Sep 27, 2009
Ipoh
I have a similar situation too after changing from auto to manual.
changed to the mivec 222 and semi racing clutch and i do feel the hardness
when engaging the 1st and reverse, 5th no problem.
gotta try the RPM thingy at 100kmh (5th gear)

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
5th gear kicking out to neutral is because the synchro is gone case. Replacing the synchro can be costly.

Mivec final drive is shorter that original putra. Hence about 9+km/h you will be hitting almost 3k rpm already.

1st and 2nd gear hard to engage most of the time, try to check the shifter join on top of the gearbox, there should be a rubber there, see if its worn. Replace if needed.... few bucks only.

Erm.... if i advice wrongly, let me know cause these are the same problem I had on my putra and above is what i did to fix them.... except for 5th gear kicking out... that one i replaced the entire gearbox...... my mistake.

xhaan

Jan 15, 2010
Selangor
5th gear kicking out to neutral is because the synchro is gone case. Replacing the synchro can be costly.

Mivec final drive is shorter that original putra. Hence about 9+km/h you will be hitting almost 3k rpm already.

1st and 2nd gear hard to engage most of the time, try to check the shifter join on top of the gearbox, there should be a rubber there, see if its worn. Replace if needed.... few bucks only.

Erm.... if i advice wrongly, let me know cause these are the same problem I had on my putra and above is what i did to fix them.... except for 5th gear kicking out... that one i replaced the entire gearbox...... my mistake.
awesome bro~ i changed the rubber thing now everything okay, never suspected that thing, the car is so old already no wonder got alot of worn out rubber~ thanks bro!

ibra76

Jul 10, 2006
awesome bro~ i changed the rubber thing now everything okay, never suspected that thing, the car is so old already no wonder got alot of worn out rubber~ thanks bro!
My shifting problem now seem to be solved after replacing gearbox oil to Redline 75/90. Totally smooth. However i want to also check for the worn out rubbers mentioned earlier. I just dono where to locate it exactly or how to easily describe it to mechanics who may not be familiar with the term.
Appreciate if you could post a picture of it.

Dark Accoon,
So does it mean my 5th gear now will have better top speed? What is the advantage of this Mivec 5th gear?

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I may be wrong...

But i think you need to change your gear bush,

I think its quite cheap...

Also you may need to adjust your clutch cable:joyman: to "higher" level, meaning you let go your clutch higher before it moves....

Last edited:

maze

Known Member
Jan 16, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
worn clutch plate also could be the culprit.. i've experienced 1st and 2nd gear very hard to engage especially at traffic lights, after replace to new clutch plate and clutch cover together with transmission fluid everything turn out to be fine after that

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I was browsing through the net and I found this in Mudah.com. It look pretty obvious that the defi's that this guy is selling WITHOUT the sensors and for the Price.

Now I wont say that this item is 100% stolen. I might be wrong. MAYBE the guy lost/spoil all his Defi sensors and decided to sell his defi for a super duper cheap price. Anyway maybe any members in this forum that their defi's and other meter that been stolen able to recognize their belongings...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience