Proton recalls in the UK (Warning: May contain Proton bashing)

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse for Proton. When it rains, it pours!
I’ve gathered a list of Proton recalls in the United Kingdoms according to The Automobile Association’s website.

Car: Proton GEN-2
Recall Reference: R/2005/075 (09 June 2005)
Problem: Battery harness tie band needs re-routing.

The battery harness may not be sufficiently secured. There is a chance, if not noticed during servicing, that the insulation of the harness could chaff and expose the wiring. This could then generate sparks and excessive heat within the engine bay.

Solution: Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected and where necessary fit an extra cable securing band.

Car: Proton Persona (Proton Wira)
Recall Reference: R1996/046 (22 April 1996)
Problem: Leakage from fuel tank

As a consequence of broken or missing spot welds on vehicle identification numbers 007100 TO 007385, leakage from the fuel tank may occur at the fuel pump mounting flange.

Solution: Recall the affected vehicles for inspection of the fuel tanks. Where any spot welds are broken or missing, the fuel tank will be replaced.

Recall Reference: R1997/079 (03 November 1997)
Problem: Loss of braking vacuum assistance

The brake booster vacuum hose check valve may stick and cause a loss of vacuum to the brake booster. This will result in increased brake pedal effort and increased stopping distances.

Solution: The affected vehicles are being recalled to have the brake booster vacuum hose replaced.

Recall Reference: R1998/77 (16 September 1998)
Problem: Tyre Deflation

Incorrect machining of the valve hole on the wheel rim has caused the valve hole to migrate towards the well of the wheel rim. Attendant to this the tyre valves have not been correctly fitted.

Solution: Suspect wheels and valves will be replaced with quality assured units.

Car: Proton Wira & Proton Satria
Recall Reference: R/2004/125 (29 July 2004)
Problem: Possible loss of engine power

Vehicle numbers B5964420000000000 to B8594610000000000, and B04374B0000000000 to B0607770000000000. The target wheel may give the ECU a false misfire signal. In extreme cases this could lead to a loss of engine power and poor driveability.

Solution: Recall affected vehicles and replace target wheel with a rigid target wheel (without damper) and the control unit and keys.

Car: Proton Satria GTi
Recall Reference: R2001/134 (17 October 2001)
Problem: Suspension Stabilizer Bar May Break

The front suspension stabiliser bar may break which can adversely affect the driving stability and handling of the car.

Solution: Recall affected vehicles to fit a quality assured replacement stabiliser bar.

Car: All Proton Models
Recall Reference: R2001/057 (01 May 2001)
Problem: Starter Motor Relay

The starter relay may allow the starter motor to operate independently of the ignition switch. In extreme cases this could lead to the movement of the vehicle if left in gear or a fire hazard.

Solution: Recall affected vehicles and fit a quality assured starter motor relay.

Can anyone confirm whether our local models have ever been affected and if any recall was done?
From here: http://paultan.org/archives/2005/10/01/proton-recalls-in-the-uk/

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
recent recall also made in malaysia... proton had no choice but to announce the recall due to safety aspect involved.

this involves all Waja EV ONLY, which has chassis number from PL1CF1SNR4F192489 to PL1CF1SRR5F217757, assembled from June 2004 to January 2005.

all Wajas involved are required to come for free inspection on the alloy wheels, which are suspected to suffer from weak construction during manufacturing.
Replacement if required necessary will be covered under warranty and no charges at all to the owner.

the problem roots from supplier and not from Proton itself. :D

AE80TypeD

1,500 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Puchong
Visit site
Solution: Suspect wheels and valves will be replaced with quality assured units.

Solution: Recall affected vehicles to fit a quality assured replacement stabiliser bar.

Solution: Recall affected vehicles and fit a quality assured starter motor relay.

im an idiot. ZWTFOMG. i dont understand what this means? obviously it was not the best choice of words (maybe it was not meant for the public to see), but what the hell are the parts already installed if they are to be REPLACED with "quality assured" units? hahaha, i understand the legal meaning behind the actual report but man, if u'd want the public to be able to see this information, those are really a poor choice of words. it implies that the first parts on the car that turn out faulty, weren't QA'ed in the first place :rofl:

but then again, even BMW had recalls before. i wont start the direct bashing. just pointing out the funny thing in that quote :D hilarious i tell ya. :rofl:

palabanas

Aug 3, 2004
QA? what is it? how to pronounce it? never heard of it in my life! maybe because I'm driving a Proton. I wonder when they would recall all proton cars and replace with VW.

ehaab

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2005
Malaysia
the most disturbing defect is the leakage in the FUEL tank the Loss of braking vacuum assistance and
Suspension Stabilizer Bar May Break
god these are serious problems...and will definetely make the image worse...
the recall that is taking place here in malaysia is a small problem though and i am happy atleast that proton is taking a step forward by recalling..i hope they learn from their mistakes...

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
zan said:
the problem roots from supplier and not from Proton itself. :D
It doesnt matter. Proton is at the end of the QC line, and has responsibility over every part of the car they sell.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Rats! This place ain't sizzling like I was expecting it to be...

Where are all the bashers and the basher bashers?

kinki_kidz®

Known Member
Feb 1, 2004
Visit site
everyday bash..not sien meh :p
bash liao too..we know..wont produce any sort of solutions to solve the 'outstanding' problem of proton what
whats the point i wonder

ambayah

1,000 RPM
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
si|verfish said:
Rats! This place ain't sizzling like I was expecting it to be...

Where are all the bashers and the basher bashers?
hahaha you love that eh.

Maybe Savvy saved proton :tee:

ehaab

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2005
Malaysia
...tired of bashing...just like u said ..it wont produce any effect...
just by looking at their ads in the paper...i start to wonder, how long can they fool so many ppl out there...maybe its just because they are protected..its not a freee market..
as long as proton sells..good enuf for them la..for them money is wat counts...not quality or standards or competition...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi. Would the ZTH members share their pricing regarding this services below. I don't wanna get cheated so i would appreciate your help. My car is perdana sei.

How much is it for :

Pumping Front Cambers
Pumping Rear Cambers
Alignment
Balancing
Nitrogen

I would really appreciate your help for these info and let it be shared so that people out there won't get cheated.

Do quote me the price for pumping of front and rear cambers for perdana. Thx. :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience