Proton R3 Duo Dominates MSS Round 1!

Jay

Known Member
Mar 6, 2012
Kuala Lumpur

Back-to-back race victories in round one of the Malaysian Super Series (MSS) currently places the PROTON R3 Racing Team on top of the Malaysian Touring Car Championship in Class 2 for production cars up to 1,600cc.

<!--more-->Young drivers Syafiq Ali and James Veerappan set a blistering pace in the Satria Neo of the Proton R3 Racing Team over the weekend to give the team’s 2012 MSS campaign a tremendous boost. Driving to victory in front of some 100,000 spectators who attended Grand Prix over the three-day weekend at the Sepang International Circuit, Syafiq and Veerappan were in dominant form.

Syafiq won the curtain-raiser nine-lap race on Saturday finishing first in class ahead of drivers Sutan Mustaffa and Ahmad Faizry. He also finished the race fourth overall.

Veerappan meanwhile, secured victory in the second nine-lap race on Sunday from fourth position on the starting grid, finishing an unassailable 36 seconds ahead of second place winner Abu Bakar Fitri with Kok Pak Chiang a further two seconds behind.

“Both drivers were incredibly fast over the weekend. It’s an excellent season-opener result and we look forward to keeping this strong
momentum going throughout the year. The objective of course, will be to successfully defend the championship we won last year,” said Team Principal Tengku Djan Ley Tengku Mahaleel.

PROTON not only won Class 2 of the Malaysian Touring Car Championship in 2011 but also secured second place. Unlike last season however, the 2012 Malaysian Touring Car Championship will be run under a new format as a one-hour race with a compulsory pit stop and each car must have two drivers.

“We have a good driver combination in Syafiq and Veerappan who bring a new level of pace, technical knowledge, maturity as well as enthusiasm into the team and this is an incredibly big motivating factor,” said Head of PROTON Motorsports Datuk Abdul Razak Dawood.

Commenting on the Satria Neo’s on-track performance, Datuk Abdul Razak added: “As a standard production model, the Satria Neo essentially offers a good overall package to begin with in terms of dimension, vehicle dynamics and performance. It is a competitive car and we have clearly underlined this by winning last year’s MSS title, as well as the overall Asia Pacific Rally Championship (APRC) manufacturer’s, driver’s and two-wheel drive titles.”

“As a team and as a division, R3 has achieved a great level of maturity and accomplishments for a relatively new entity in terms of engineering prowess and technical knowledge via its racing involvement. Research and development drives R3’s strong winning spirit which in turn translates to performance-driven road-going production models.”

The team’s participation in motorsports remains an instrumental and driving force in the development and engineering of new high performance technology for Proton cars. Lessons on the race track are available to the public in the form of the limited edition R3 Satria Neo as well as R3 performance parts for other Proton car models.

Attachments

kUmUcHaI 11/1

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
JB - KL
36 second ahead the second racer...wah...he is fast

Team Principal Tengku Djan Ley Tengku Mahaleel... the race just remind me of topgear..
Guys.. remember the top gear british, when they challege the Topgear from germany or Australia... that instead of James may ( captain slow ), the Stig drive the satria rally s2000 and win the race... may be Tengku Djan is inside the car..haha
No offence.. just kidding

Congrats...

fordrunger

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
KL
36 second ahead the second racer...wah...he is fast

Team Principal Tengku Djan Ley Tengku Mahaleel... the race just remind me of topgear..
Guys.. remember the top gear british, when they challege the Topgear from germany or Australia... that instead of James may ( captain slow ), the Stig drive the satria rally s2000 and win the race... may be Tengku Djan is inside the car..haha
No offence.. just kidding

Congrats...
maybe you are 'just kidding', but what is quite obvious is the fact that you find it hard to believe some unknown called James Veerappan can finish 36 seconds ahead of second place. In your mind, it makes more sense to associate such brilliant driving with an equally 'brilliant' personality.

I find this sad.

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
fordrunger.

we know Mr James Veerapan is not an unkown :biggrin:. the fella who commented probably doesn't know enough real race drivers to comment as such

fordrunger

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
KL
Faisal - you are right.. I guess if I were James I would be pretty upset reading such comments. They guy drove his heart out only to be compared to T. Djan. Can't please everyone I guess..

dawg

Known Member
Nov 29, 2003
Selangor
dawgsevo.blogspot.com
James V is a very talented driver! Good history of karting, MME and even won the latest gymkhana event beating a fellow McRae! 100% homebrew hero I'd say =p

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Something rather interesting about the future of tyres.

Michelin plans to make all of its tyres with recycled, renewable, biosourced materials and go 100% sustainable by 2050. In this video, it shows in brief the materials and processes involved to achieve that.

In 2017, Michelin introduced the VISION Concept tyre which featured an...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience