Proton Iriz!

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
So, the car has launched, and I've test driven it.

Article coming soon!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long story short, took the car for a short drive, and I do like it. Engine was still tight (About 10km on the odometer), gearshifts are not particular good (feels rather rubbery and vague). Torque is decent, but for me again, doesn't feel enough. Surprisingly engine noise is well insulated, as well as wind noise and road noise. Despite that, the engine sounds better than my own CamPro IAFM (VVT maybe?).

Didn't test long enough to try the handling, but did jam brakes when I almost missed a bump.

Last edited:

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
Small-ish update.

Tried both CVT and manual. Seems like the manual variant is quieter than the CVT.

Weird.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
CVT whining noise? I heard it in the Supramaniam S, I don't like it, unrefined. Same with the engine+turbo.

The Proton Iriz is overpriced IMO, too much money for not enough. Against the likes of Ford Fiesta and VW Polo? I'll take the Fiesta for the same money -- yes, here Iriz is cheaper, but if this is a global car, it will be selling for the same $ in Australia with Ford Fiesta..

Compare apples to apples. It is better equipped than anything Perodua has, that's for sure.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
hv yet to test drive it.
it has the look,colour choice oso adds life to ownership.

built quality seems to be better than preve even hard plastic is used all around.the fitment is better.
they manage to not make it look cheap.
never expect u can sew on plastic though...i kept running my finger on the sewing...

1.3 model will sell the most.
1.6 is veru desireable but beyond reach for most.
well,thats why they have the wannabe variant rite?

i guess proton is expecting the same as not all showroom have the 1.6 premium model for display in Seremban.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
If only the Iriz is fitted with turbo then same like Preve xD then only worth the price.

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
The ride is hard/flat through the corner. 1.3 MT.
And the starter is so so much better. Started the car so fast.
New ECU ma. Instead of Continental, its now from Bosch.

If only the Iriz is fitted with turbo then same like Preve xD then only worth the price.
Maybe R3 variant might have? :rofl:

hv yet to test drive it.
it has the look,colour choice oso adds life to ownership.

built quality seems to be better than preve even hard plastic is used all around.the fitment is better.
they manage to not make it look cheap.
never expect u can sew on plastic though...i kept running my finger on the sewing...

1.3 model will sell the most.
1.6 is veru desireable but beyond reach for most.
well,thats why they have the wannabe variant rite?

i guess proton is expecting the same as not all showroom have the 1.6 premium model for display in Seremban.
1.6 I feel is more worthy..

CVT whining noise? I heard it in the Supramaniam S, I don't like it, unrefined. Same with the engine+turbo.

The Proton Iriz is overpriced IMO, too much money for not enough. Against the likes of Ford Fiesta and VW Polo? I'll take the Fiesta for the same money -- yes, here Iriz is cheaper, but if this is a global car, it will be selling for the same $ in Australia with Ford Fiesta..

Compare apples to apples. It is better equipped than anything Perodua has, that's for sure.
Overpriced? Funny, no one bat an eyelid when the Myvi Extreme retailed at 60k +

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
New ECU ma. Instead of Continental, its now from Bosch.

Maybe R3 variant might have? :rofl:

1.6 I feel is more worthy..

Because is PERODUA and is still running Japanese blood which is why ppl would think Perodua is worth it while Proton is still proton. :rolleyes: :rofl:

If it is R3 variant then the price sure mark up adi.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Buy one then BOT:driver:....hhahhaha:rofl:

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

The ride is hard/flat through the corner. 1.3 MT.
And the starter is so so much better. Started the car so fast.
Starter is for cranking, to get the car started then see your engine loh! Air fuel delivery, spark plugs etc., You mean you have problem starting your Persona?:smokin:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Irrelevant. Perodua is not a "Global Car". Its a cheap alternative for poor Malaysians who are over taxed.

No idea why anybody would buy the Myvi Extreme.

Proton says they benchmark the Iriz against Ford Fiesta & VW Polo, not me.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I am still thinking about the term "global" used by proton. Whatever it mean.....

Will the car fulfils the global requirement (say, US, UK, Europe, China, etc), globally acceptable in the design sense? safety requirement and sold widely across the globe?

I am not questioning nor criticizing the global car, but proton has to make sure the term "global" they use really reflect its meaning.

Reminds me of Waja that Proton claimed to be the BMW of the East, or something like that....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I need help here on throttle body conversion, which i dont know if theres any existed post. so, if theres any post related to this please send me the link.

so, heres my case,

I'm using a 2000 proton satria 1.3 manual
-stock throttle body(reconditioned), unserviceable ISC(idle step controller)
-3rd throttle body in 2 years, and i'm sick of it.

i was thinking of looking for a bigger size throttle body, from the halfcut available.

question:
-does any of these throttle body fits...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience