Proton CFE Manual Swap

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
Hi Guys, its been ages since i have posted here in zth. Currently i own a Suprima and would love for it to have a manual box instead of the CVT. i think mechanically it is tedious but pretty straight forward as i can get the bits from the Preve manual version(iafm). However the challenge is getting the ECU to recognize that it is no longer a CVT. i think there are two possible routes to this, 1) i think it is possible to Flash the standard ECU to tell it, it is a manual now. (layman speaking maybe easier said then done) 2) would be to run a standalone. i have heard of a horror story of someone going down the standalone way and not getting the car to run properly not to mention after spending a ton of $$$. Apparently the stock ecu still had to be hooked up. Even then, an array of lights were lit on the dash. i have done some research and basically i think the main challenge is to get the Standalone to speak the language that the Proton CAN systems can decode. i think for other more popular makes, there are CAN emulators out there which gets the car to run almost 100% The emulators converts the output from the ecu to a signal readable by other CAN systems in the car and vice versa. Im pretty new to this, i do hope someone has more info on ECUs and their systems and how i can run a manual gearbox in this car.

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
Well i am not planing for insanely big numbers..deffinitely more then what is on now. I want more control and i would think a manual will be more robust as well

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
I own a Suprima too, and hate the CVT. As far as I know, many people have tried to do this combo (CFE engine + manual gearbox) but failed. Usually they end up swapping a mivec, GSR or even an Evo engine, which is easier to be done.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
I wud rather advice u get the gb set complete with the ecu for the manual version, or just rewire the terminals at the gb end for the cvt wiring.

U sure the cvt doesnt have a saparate tcu?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I own a Suprima too, and hate the CVT. As far as I know, many people have tried to do this combo (CFE engine + manual gearbox) but failed. Usually they end up swapping a mivec, GSR or even an Evo engine, which is easier to be done.
Are the engine mountings similar?

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
I'm not sure whether the mountings are similar. Should be, since Campro engines were designed using older Mitsubishi engines as template. These guys have done more than 10 conversions on various CFE cars (Exora, Preve, Suprima).

https://www.facebook.com/tamturbomotorsport/

The most popular swaps are from GSR and mivec engines I think.

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
Hi Guys, its been ages since i have posted here in zth. Currently i own a Suprima and would love for it to have a manual box instead of the CVT. i think mechanically it is tedious but pretty straight forward as i can get the bits from the Preve manual version(iafm). However the challenge is getting the ECU to recognize that it is no longer a CVT. i think there are two possible routes to this, 1) i think it is possible to Flash the standard ECU to tell it, it is a manual now. (layman speaking maybe easier said then done) 2) would be to run a standalone. i have heard of a horror story of someone going down the standalone way and not getting the car to run properly not to mention after spending a ton of $$$. Apparently the stock ecu still had to be hooked up. Even then, an array of lights were lit on the dash. i have done some research and basically i think the main challenge is to get the Standalone to speak the language that the Proton CAN systems can decode. i think for other more popular makes, there are CAN emulators out there which gets the car to run almost 100% The emulators converts the output from the ecu to a signal readable by other CAN systems in the car and vice versa. Im pretty new to this, i do hope someone has more info on ECUs and their systems and how i can run a manual gearbox in this car.
Aiyaa why waste time and money for such thing. sell your suprima and buy evo gao dim edi.

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
I'm not sure whether the mountings are similar. Should be, since Campro engines were designed using older Mitsubishi engines as template. These guys have done more than 10 conversions on various CFE cars (Exora, Preve, Suprima).

https://www.facebook.com/tamturbomotorsport/

The most popular swaps are from GSR and mivec engines I think.
Yeah, i have heard of them.. but i dont want to go down that road.. it will ruin the handling character of the car.

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
Aiyaa why waste time and money for such thing. sell your suprima and buy evo gao dim edi.
This is true, but really cant afford to maintain an evo. I for one am damn particular with maintenance so i do spend a fair bit on it. An evo would put a huge dent on car maintenance budget

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
I wud rather advice u get the gb set complete with the ecu for the manual version, or just rewire the terminals at the gb end for the cvt wiring.

U sure the cvt doesnt have a saparate tcu?
It does have a seperate tcu bro.. but problem is the canbus system in the car.. every thing talks to the ecu and ecu replies. So when tcu doenst get signals funky things are bound to happen. Unfortunately there is no production manual option for the cfe

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
It does have a seperate tcu bro.. but problem is the canbus system in the car.. every thing talks to the ecu and ecu replies. So when tcu doenst get signals funky things are bound to happen. Unfortunately there is no production manual option for the cfe
I say, just sumbat masuk the manual and rewire the cvt wiring to indicate "N" gear jer, see how that goes. I think shud be the same jer with any autobox, weve done dis in few cars. The ecu and tcu are usually independant of each other fyi

Reactions: ^pomen_GTR^

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
I say, just sumbat masuk the manual and rewire the cvt wiring to indicate "N" gear jer, see how that goes. I think shud be the same jer with any autobox, weve done dis in few cars. The ecu and tcu are usually independant of each other fyi
sounds plausible but need to know for sure before i go down this road. those cars that you have done before are they CAN systems? or analog? why i feel it will still be a problem is because these modern ecus are more intelligent, if there is a speed reading but the can systems see the tcu reading in 'N' not sure what will happen. may cause a host of erros to show up.. car may run but not very well in this case. one way to know for sure probably is to get a CAN sniffer and we can see in the stock system what communicates with what. if we can isolate what signals the tcu sends out (if any) and recieves then i will be more confident to go down this route.

syg bro to start and if cant finish will be such a waste.

Reactions: xtremeleo

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

If it is not too much, we would again like to thank everyone for being a part of the success of Zerotohundred.com’s TIMETOATTACK Round 2 as it was definitely one of the best that we had ever organized so far! And just like the last round, we'll now bring you some of the treats for those who could not make it to last Sunday’s event, in the form of automotive eye-candies, starting off with the JDMs...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience