Project Z Week 23: Spare Z31 Chassis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak

I spoke to Rahmat about the condition of our current Z31 and he cites that a lot of work has to be done and may take up to 4 months or more to actually get it up in tip top condition. Rust and holes are to be blamed to the extent of the damage in our car. We could really spend all the time to repair the rust and damage, but it wouldn't be worth the effort to do so, when better condition parts are available.

We managed to look around and managed to find one empty Z31 shell that has been parked in the street outside of a mechanic shop. The Z31 has no engine and the dashboard missing, however a few important trim parts, such as interior liners are still present. The rear wipers assembly and the wing mirrors are missing or broken on our current car, so these parts are a great addition to the parts bin.

There are other crucial parts necessary to the build, which has parts that allow us to convert from our current 4 lug hub into 5 lug hub. The doors, fenders and other panels are important to our build, as ours are badly rusted from inside.

This is approach is similar to re-shelling the car, but it's merely a transfer of body parts from the former to the latter. What is re-shelling if you may ask? Here's an explanatory video by Mighty Car Mods of swapping damaged or bad parts with a better one from a donor car. Check out this video if you can.

How To Reshell a Car - YouTube

Purchasing the shell will cost another RM4,500. Currently, we did set aside a donation box to purchase the engine that was in possession with our half-cut suppliers. I hope we can raise up more funds to get the project going, as currently bills are rising up to our noses. I hope we will acquire the shell and have our project moving again!

Fellow readers, I am glad that you have followed me this far up to the 21st week in the Project Z restoration, modification and build. As certain readers have pointed out that they are gladly to donate the money to make this project a reality, I have seek permission from Tom and he has approved a donation box through either Paypal or Maybank.

The donations can be in minimum denominations of RM50 and we will acknowledge your name (either in your forum username or full name). We will continuously update the donors list week by week, whenever there is one. Please email me at [email protected] if you have made your donations.

You can donate by either methods : Paypal or Maybank2U

The paypal account address is [email protected]

or

Here's the details of the bank in account

Maybank
Lee Han Foong

As I am only using my CIMB account to receive money from my employer, my Maybank account has been pretty much dormant. It currently holds about RM104.18 in funds in the account. So any donations would be noted down in my mini statement.

Please do your part in helping us realise our dreams. I hope the Nissan Fairlady 200ZG Z31 will complete hopefully by end of the year, so we can participate this car in the upcoming races. We also look forward to participate in the MSS Classic car challenge, which allows cars 25 years or older to participate. This car will turn exactly 25 years next year, so it would be a great way to celebrate its birthday.

The money donated would be used to purchase neccesary items to complete the build. At the moment, we look into finding a Nissan RB26DETT engine that costs RM2,800. This engine is incomplete and needs a flywheel, coil and an ECU. The wiring harness is present. The turbines are gone though. So if you think you donate either in cash money or parts donation, we will be very willing to take it. I intend to label every part you donate with LabelMe stickers so that every part donated will be credited. Thank you for your support.

Donated parties - engine purchase (cash)

1. RM50 from Nadz - M2U
2. RM50 from (name withheld) - Paypal
3. RM50 from tksu - Paypal
4. RM50 from VectorX2 - CIMB Clicks
5. RM50 from Zaidi - Paypal
6. RM100 from Izso - M2U
7. RM50 from newuy - M2U
8. RM100 from savahn - M2U

Donated parties - spare car purchase (cash)

Donated parties (items)

1. RM300 from Kevin Lee - Interior dome light, pilot light and door handles

Attachments

Last edited:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
In my opinion, should concentrate on getting engine first. This will get people excited and hopefully more will contribute. This chassis thing took too long dy and people getting tired. And it is slowing down...

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
actually, the engine is held by our half cut supplier, so we will buy them in due time. the chassis is on the other hand, rarer than the engine.

plus without a chassis, the project would stall and wait. still getting the rb26dett btw

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
What Veloc was trying to say was, ppl are begining to get bored of the project without some real rotating part and exhaust...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
What Veloc was trying to say was, ppl are begining to get bored of the project without some real rotating part and exhaust...
Thanks man...

actually, the engine is held by our half cut supplier, so we will buy them in due time. the chassis is on the other hand, rarer than the engine.

plus without a chassis, the project would stall and wait. still getting the rb26dett btw
And I think if there's not significant update/progress, no need to put progress report. Already week 23 and like that... It will be a turnoff. Sorry I couldn't find other word... Didn't mean to discourage you man... I love this project. Just giving some suggestion for the good of it.

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
yeah well, i need to let u know that, the project is worked remotely. i am based in perak while the car is based in selangor. i have to ring up and make sure they pass the ball, else it gets stalled!

plus ive been running around asking for sponsors. its not easy to get the cash funds. currently the spare car is purchased with a loan, so i need to get some cash sponsors hopefully to reimburse the differences.

the real reason with slowing down is, that, the car is too bad of a condition and may take 4 months to finish welding, instead of 1-2 months. so acquiring panel parts speeds it up to 2 months or less! thats the idea. once the shell is ready and painted, the engine goes in! so if the project needs a boost, cash flows must be great too!

anyone wanna buy the rb20, gearbox and an axle? ring me, everything must go!

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Love the project and admire your perseverance and passion bro :adore:... Gambateh!

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
Its not easy to run a show, in theory it looked so easy and good on paper, but when u do it, there's tons of hindrance, nonbelievers and test of patience. Next to note is that although Many weeks has gone by, I spent a month in Europe so I didn't cover progress that month, the week numbers are to indicate how many months has gone by and I need to feature the sponsors related to the project , it's only fair

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
Its not easy to run a show, in theory it looked so easy and good on paper, but when u do it, there's tons of hindrance, nonbelievers and test of patience. Next to note is that although Many weeks has gone by, I spent a month in Europe so I didn't cover progress that month, the week numbers are to indicate how many months has gone by and I need to feature the sponsors related to the project , it's only fair
On the contrary it's quite easy 'to run a show' as you so put it.

First and fore most, I think I am one of those non-believers. I am sure those who has been in the 'scene' as long as me, majority of which are non believers. I'm being kind when i just the word majority. So for those who wants to continuously believe and do not want my honest opinion (which would be later be twisted by TS to be a 'biased' one or just simply be deleted) please do not continue reading.

By now if you are reading this, it's either you are one of the 'silent few' who has doubts or the 'majority seasoned' unbelievers.... please continue reading... unbelievers beware... i may break your hope and dreams with my rants......

By reading this line, it shows you are either truly the 2 categories i mentioned or a very inquisitive believer... rest assured, you will be rewarded by my wisdom LOL.. now, why am I not a believer? This is supposedly to be a project which involves getting funds from public via donations using ZTH's name. First and foremost, TS is kind enough to use some of his spare change to get a car to race in the name of ZTH as a tribute to Tom. Though it seems a bit anal but at least the respect is there. Due credit has to go where credit belongs, hence I am saying this - it's a respect that is rarely seen nowadays and that deserves my hats off gesture.

Firstly, the car is 'simply' selected based on its cheapness. Knowing the condition of the car it is still purchased 'as it's deemed fit' by a rather poor judgement by the 'project manager'. Now I will not dwell into details as my purpose is not to educate but to rant about my disbelief and lack of confidence towards this project.

Later down the road, because the initial selected ride is rusted badly and to repair it costs alot... (and to me, i think even after repair or restoration, the structural integrity may not withstand the rigorous activity of motorsports) it is expected to have 'another category' of donation - spare car purchase? that in project term is called overrun. It has to be justified - why? what happened? who made that call? how much more in terms of hidden cost? i.e. labor? time? ... now, we wont go there as well, it would wipe out any grains of confidence left in those who has doubts and well, the center of talks for those who from the beginning never believed in it.

Now... a good project manager would have in the beginning (listed a few, no time to educate as i'm not paid and i rarely do unworthy charities):

1. Laid out the roadmap of the project
2. Phases of what to be purchased - and the cost
3. Financial budgeting - budgeted cost vs current expenditures + cost overruns justifications
4. others

But in the end, i doubt this matters anyways.. even without the project missions, goals, objectives and of course - investment sum.. and it has two thermometers erected... with one heating up...LOL...

I'm rather surprised there are willing donating parties but I guess it's all done in good faith and their respect for Tom. My hats off to them. However, I find it rather intriguing that there are actually business owners sponsoring it. Back in the days, when people ask for sponsorship, they need to submit their proposals... Has time changed to such a degree that either the business owners are desperate for publicity or they have too much disposable income at hand? last i checked, US is at the brink of a double dip recession and EU has potential default issues... It's coming our shores pretty soon...

This seems to be a fantasy more than a dream.

I got a nickname for the ride - Falkor and the driver - Atreyu

It's a 'Never ending Story...'

;)

Last edited:

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
After this car completed, who gets to own it?

Or this car going to be parked at the lobby of Menara ZTH?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Blackhowling... That was my thoughts and doubts in the beginning... But I was trying every way to blunt it out lol... I thought that since I never donated, I better don't talk much... HAhahha... But you really kaw kaw...

IMO, if one want's to build a supercar killer, better start off with a supra/skyline base where the chassis and engine already proven. And not halfway rotting like this... The cost of tuning, mods and all will be even cheaper. Compared to when major restoration being done to the chassis alone that takes lots of money and time.

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
On the contrary it's quite easy 'to run a show' as you so put it.

First and fore most, I think I am one of those non-believers. I am sure those who has been in the 'scene' as long as me, majority of which are non believers. I'm being kind when i just the word majority. So for those who wants to continuously believe and do not want my honest opinion (which would be later be twisted by TS to be a 'biased' one or just simply be deleted) please do not continue reading.

By now if you are reading this, it's either you are one of the 'silent few' who has doubts or the 'majority seasoned' unbelievers.... please continue reading... unbelievers beware... i may break your hope and dreams with my rants......

By reading this line, it shows you are either truly the 2 categories i mentioned or a very inquisitive believer... rest assured, you will be rewarded by my wisdom LOL.. now, why am I not a believer? This is supposedly to be a project which involves getting funds from public via donations using ZTH's name. First and foremost, TS is kind enough to use some of his spare change to get a car to race in the name of ZTH as a tribute to Tom. Though it seems a bit anal but at least the respect is there. Due credit has to go where credit belongs, hence I am saying this - it's a respect that is rarely seen nowadays and that deserves my hats off gesture.

Firstly, the car is 'simply' selected based on its cheapness. Knowing the condition of the car it is still purchased 'as it's deemed fit' by a rather poor judgement by the 'project manager'. Now I will not dwell into details as my purpose is not to educate but to rant about my disbelief and lack of confidence towards this project.

Later down the road, because the initial selected ride is rusted badly and to repair it costs alot... (and to me, i think even after repair or restoration, the structural integrity may not withstand the rigorous activity of motorsports) it is expected to have 'another category' of donation - spare car purchase? that in project term is called overrun. It has to be justified - why? what happened? who made that call? how much more in terms of hidden cost? i.e. labor? time? ... now, we wont go there as well, it would wipe out any grains of confidence left in those who has doubts and well, the center of talks for those who from the beginning never believed in it.

Now... a good project manager would have in the beginning (listed a few, no time to educate as i'm not paid and i rarely do unworthy charities):

1. Laid out the roadmap of the project
2. Phases of what to be purchased - and the cost
3. Financial budgeting - budgeted cost vs current expenditures + cost overruns justifications
4. others

But in the end, i doubt this matters anyways.. even without the project missions, goals, objectives and of course - investment sum.. and it has two thermometers erected... with one heating up...LOL...

I'm rather surprised there are willing donating parties but I guess it's all done in good faith and their respect for Tom. My hats off to them. However, I find it rather intriguing that there are actually business owners sponsoring it. Back in the days, when people ask for sponsorship, they need to submit their proposals... Has time changed to such a degree that either the business owners are desperate for publicity or they have too much disposable income at hand? last i checked, US is at the brink of a double dip recession and EU has potential default issues... It's coming our shores pretty soon...

This seems to be a fantasy more than a dream.

I got a nickname for the ride - Falkor and the driver - Atreyu

It's a 'Never ending Story...'

;)
T_T can i like >9999 ur post mr blackhowling?

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

After this car completed, who gets to own it?

Or this car going to be parked at the lobby of Menara ZTH?
the owner of the car is basically Kevin, so all are sponsoring and donating to mod and restore his car. i doubt the car will be parked at menara zth. :rofl:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Anything also okay... But please don't get spare chassis even before an engine. Means you are getting 2 of the same things. If the chassis so rotten that it needs a spare for parts, better straight get a good chassis since start. Fast and cheaper to set up.

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
being a z31 owner myself, i believe chassis restoration is an integral part of the car's project. z31s are prone to get rusty floorboard (mine is always garaged, very very seldom exposed to rain/shine and even my car suffered from rusty floorboard). if budget permits, then it would be great to work on the engine while chassis is being worked on but based on kevin's financial situation, i think chassis restoration is the way to go.

i'm in the same boat. i started my z31 project in 2007 and i have only looked at engine/suspension/braking conversion/upgrading/maintenance department. i should have restored the chassis before transplanting the engine cos once we get the horsepower-hunting momentum, we will never look back...

...and in 4th quarter of 2011 i'm still hunting for more horsepower + better braking power + better handling... rusty floorboard still neglected...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi again all ZTH members ... Here to create a thread which will mainly discuss only SUPERCHARGER issues ... I understand that supercharger is a type of Force Induction system which is the kit itself is mounted on the crank (engine) ... The pulley driven device will drives the air into the kit and compresses it then send it to the intake manifold ...

Ok thats some brief introduction ... Hope i've got them all correct ... Now the further on discussion will be NA engines to fix with...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience