Project Z Week 20 : Playhouse Garage Restoration and Customisation Services

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak

Edison had his opening ceremony for his shop in Top Secret and was busy. He managed to send off the car to Rahmat, the owner of Playhouse Garage this morning. He had to show the car to prospective clients and sponsors, so that we get more of the project moving along.

Playhouse Garage was formed in 2009, over a friendly discussion at an old school forum in Malaysia, where a bunch of friends dreamed of an idea to bring in old rust buckets and restore them into the former glory.

Where most people would depend the "under the cherry tree uncles" for welding works, these guys are the true overhaulin' guys. Rahmat is a very meticulate guy who will pick up any old rust bucket and transform them back into their former beauty. He is very much like a plastic surgeon, except he works on metalworks. Rusts and holes are what he desires to fix and repair the most. His passion for rust makes him one of the best person to talk to, if you have a car that you think is rusted beyond usage.

He will create new pieces of metal just for the car, even the part is almost disintegrated, as long as he has photographic source or an idea how the part looks like, he could replicate it with some awesome metal works. Furthermore, he can lighten and straighten it, with better modern materials to make the cars stronger and ligther.

What his workers would do, is to measure the length of the piece of metal, to ensure the measurements and clearances are right, before they cut and fit the new metal piece. This precision work is likened to the old ways of building a car, like old school coachwork repairs. You definitely don't see this kind of work any more. Most of the metal works are now done by car plant robots, so this is pretty much like hand-crafting metal pieces into your car.

To align the measurements and balance of the car, he uses a jig to make sure the car is straight even right after the metalworks is applied. This is to ensure the car handles properly right after all the work has been done. A crooked chassis can be detrimental to the entire built, as it would be unsafe to drive as the car would not be able to driven safely or have the wheels aligned in a straight position.

Once the metal repair has been done, he applies a layer of grey prepwork to prevent the part from rusting further, after the bare metal had been exposed to the air, where rusts can occur again.

This Volvo has most of its metal rust sealed up and repaired. It is given a final coat of metal prep before it is sent to the paintshop. The green metal prep coating is most durable and could be a great way to protect your car from rusting more in the future.

Toyota Celica TA22 under restoration process

As for my Fairlady Z31, the chassis was badly rusted and the floorboard has cheeseholes. He has given the assessment that the car had a minor accident and has a weak chassis. Right now, he will help me repair the chassis and do metal repair works to the rust holes that exist in the car. My goals is that, he is able to fix the chassis and be able to withstand at least 350-400hp of power, where I would mostly use the car on the track. Since the chassis is so old, about 24 years now, it must have definitely gone through a lot with wear and tear.

Oh la la, Datsun 240Z hidden under some drapes

If your keen on restoring your old school, antique or classic car, you should approach Rahmat in Playhouse Garage. He could also give you a seriously beautiful customisation job, the way you want it and like it. I sincerely believe that he is the one with the skill in Malaysia to restore your car properly and his metalworks is simply out of this world. Since Rahmat will help us realise our Z project, he mentions that a special discount is given to interested parties who wants their old bombs restored by him.

Just mentioned that you found this advertisement on Zerotohundred.com and contact him on this:

Playhouse Garage

Mus - 010 218 7238
Rahmat- 016 668 0086

47,JALAN INDUSTRI USJ 1/5,SUBANG JAYA
47600 SELANGOR

Here's an old school Toyota wagon to stare at. At the mean time, indulge yourself into loving old schools. Thanks for reading.

Karmann Ghia MK3

Attachments

Last edited:

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
hahah, z32? i think that costs 5 times as more as the z31.

2 z31's had been featured in wangan midnight racing

akio's first ride prior to the 240z

harada's 300km/h z31

well, we will try to get the metalwork to comply to jpj/puspakom ruling, thats the most important bit

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
thanks, will be a while till it finishes!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i read somewhere in zth that they recommend putting a bit of Tufoil into the tranny? what are the advantage of doing so?

i am currently using Redline ShockProof heavy with rating 75/240 cause i get loud "cluck" sound when engage gear using MT-90. with Shockproof heavy, the "cluck" noise if almost gone except a bit harder to engage gear during cold (start) which requires more strenght to push in gear.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience