potong spring!!

jeremy

Known Member
Nov 12, 2004
kuching-penang
Visit site
just wonderin those who potong spring, how much spring u cut .. measuring from either end,izit i complete circle? or semi circle.. n how low does it get if u cut 1 complete circle or semi circle? wat is the lifespand of yur ori absorber if u cut 1 full circle or semi circle...

thank u sifus sifus out there...hehe

DimDimer

Known Member
Jan 10, 2005
Visit site
dun cut. absorber lifespan will be very very short, but your 'sporty feeling' will wear out sonner than the absorber.

go out and invest on good springs.

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Don't cut!

However, if u know the right formula, u may do so... again, it is subjective.

jeremy

Known Member
Nov 12, 2004
kuching-penang
Visit site
i understand tat cut spring is a definite no no.. but u see.. since i throw in 2 12 inch subs + box into my trunk, the car slightly tilt to the bac ~~ planin to cut the front spring a lil , just enuf to make the car look balance..was wonderin how much is , just enuf..planin to lower it bout 1 inch in the front..

care for suggestions any1 who has done it b4?? hehe.. thanks

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
u potong u hailat.. dont do that!! if urs is proton, just buy those lowering springs in brothers for 88buck only...keep yer standard springs.

blue_hippo

500 RPM
Jun 16, 2004
cut springs is ah bengs styles...like what fstrader said..go get sport springs

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
there is no advice to cut down ur spring.. especially at the front , u will totally lost control on ur handling when high conering... can kill u man ..

there is 2 way to solve ur problem.
1. change to sport spring.
2. just shim up 1 inch at ur rear absorbar spring base plate. ( better than u cut ur front spring. )

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
jeremy said:
i understand tat cut spring is a definite no no.. but u see.. since i throw in 2 12 inch subs + box into my trunk, the car slightly tilt to the bac ~~ planin to cut the front spring a lil , just enuf to make the car look balance..was wonderin how much is , just enuf..planin to lower it bout 1 inch in the front..

care for suggestions any1 who has done it b4?? hehe.. thanks
i feel that after u cut the front
the front spring will be more stiff...

then when u carry passenger..
the back of the car will lower more.. ;D

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
u r not looking at the big picture... if u cut springs.. yes, wat u get is a balanced height... but wat u'll also be getting is:

1> Boat ride when u're over slight 'wave' imperfection on hignways.
2> Shorter absorber life span
3> imbalanced handling

u'll hate yr ride

jeremy

Known Member
Nov 12, 2004
kuching-penang
Visit site
erm.. well, guess it's a 100% no no to cut spring,,,my ride is a nissan sunny,,another quest, my front absorber is gas type and it's kinda hard... will it have a longer lifespan if i use lowered spring compared to a oil type absorber??

then the only option to consider is either to change to lowered spring or to shim up 1 inch at ur rear absorbar spring base plate, as recommended by boyzone...thanks all for your advise...appreciate it a lot

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Throw out your 2.5 inch subs + box....Hahaha can get lighter weight somemore.

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
erm, cant say i hate my ride now cause im using cut springs at the front and sports springs at the rear, i wanted the rear to be harder than the front... :D

so erm, actually, its your choice anywayz, im now just having problems cause my car is too low and yeah, it gets harder but i would suggest you remove your springs first to see how long it is and wether would be come out from the base if your absorbers are fully extended. like mine, even if my absorbers are fully extended, the springs stays in place, even after i cut the springs.

so im guessing thats safe enough and the spring has to be of even length on both sides, one side shorter than the other then you are gonna have problems, so get it done properly if you intend to cut it.

btw, im driving a charade aura.

p/s : if you are just going to make the thing looks even, just remember that when you remove your woofers, then your rear is going to be higher compared to the front. personally, i think this setup for me is not good and hard enough, saving for coilovers now cause i wanna go for fast turns now :P ahhahahhaa.....

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
never cut your stock spring...i have see car that cut stock spring, after car went over bump, senget one side since the spring loose out from the coil...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The sensation of speed is determined by the size and type of your car. The smaller the car, the faster everything seems to be.

Let's discuss.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience