please give advice for newbie

reubenc

Known Member
Apr 22, 2004
basically, im thinking of taking part in tarmac rallying.

but right now, i have no idea how the rally scene goes and it would be great if forummers who have and are already inthe scene give me some pointers on where and how am i to go about it.

1.what do i need before i start rallying

2.what are the stages i will go thru during a tarmac rally. what happens in each stage

3.how about the car i am gonna rally in?what are the legal specifications?

4.anyhting else i will need? e.g. pit crew, navigator, things such as suit,helmets etc.

5. finally, how much wili i be looking at to start this hobby?
(cost from getting a license all the way to finishing the my first rally?)

please do reply and give pointers and tips.
this thread will save alot of hassle for other newcomers like me who are interested in rallying but do not have anyone to guide me thru the steps

Khorne

500 RPM
Dec 4, 2003
PJ
Visit site
reubenc said:
basically, im thinking of taking part in tarmac rallying.

but right now, i have no idea how the rally scene goes and it would be great if forummers who have and are already inthe scene give me some pointers on where and how am i to go about it.

1.what do i need before i start rallying

2.what are the stages i will go thru during a tarmac rally. what happens in each stage

3.how about the car i am gonna rally in?what are the legal specifications?

4.anyhting else i will need? e.g. pit crew, navigator, things such as suit,helmets etc.

5. finally, how much wili i be looking at to start this hobby?
(cost from getting a license all the way to finishing the my first rally?)

please do reply and give pointers and tips.
this thread will save alot of hassle for other newcomers like me who are interested in rallying but do not have anyone to guide me thru the steps

Here's my version of 'RALLYING FOR DUMMIES'

LEARN HOW TO DRIVE FIRST BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO GO RALLYING. (I'm not shitting you)

First is to get your and your navigator racing licenses (both of you must hold valid driving license)
1. Join an AAM certified club
2. Get medically certified by an AAM panel doctor
3. Go to AAM Motorsports department and apply for a license
4. Collect your license when it's done.

It will take you about RM500-600 for the complete procedure and remember to get 8 Passport size photographs.

Second you will need a road legal car which has been prepped up for rallying purposes;
Rollcage, extingushers, bucket seats, racing harness, helmets with intercomm set, sump guard (only for gravel rallying). You don't need to spend like youre a millionaire on your first rally. Do up the necessary things first and work your way from there, but if you have the money then by all means go ahead, buy the best that money can buy.

Third is to register for the rally event, entry fees vary depending on event usually about RM600 for privateers. Then you'll need to buy tyres, jerry can's for petrol and water, a basic tool set for the car, jack, stands and maybe some spares if you have a service crew with you.

Fourth is to drive as fast as you can in the stages without killing your or your navigator. Put your training into work here.

Fifth is to clean up your car and prep it up for the next event.

Repeat what's necessary after that.

Thing's that you'll need to do before you go rallying

LEARN HOW TO DRIVE
Find a navigator
Practice with him/her, here's where you need to come up with your style of navigational styles my personal favourite is Colin McRae rally 4, it's the same thing only that youre playing it on the telly. You can learn alot from CM4 and also there's this thing called the internet where you can use www.yahoo.com or www.google.com or even better www.yahoogle.com and do a search on rallying and anything else that you want to know.

Thing's that you'll need for your car before you go rallying

There's the tyre issue, buy what you can afford, but don't go cheap on them cause it's the only thing between your car and the road.
Up grade your brake pads to higher temp ones.
Don't touch your engine, run it stock. Keep what's in the engine bay stock.
Slight exhause mods can be done for that ala rally sound.
Buy jerry can's for the petrol and water for the car.
Buy jack's and stands and basic tools if you have a service crew if not then juct stick to the jerry can's, funnel, duck tape, cable ties and a hammer.

My advice is to get in touch with the boys that are already in the scene and learn from them. Follow the rally scene if you have to. There's no easy way to anything. Throw yourself to their mercy and crew for them. Buy them teh tarik and ask them questions. Read articles on the internet like Andrew Bargery's website or Nicky Grist, Phil Mills even.

From start to finish youre probably looking at a minimum of RM30K for a car, prepping it up, licenses, misc and bla bla bla...

The key rule is to keep things simple

'To finish first, you must first finish' YSKhong

reubenc

Known Member
Apr 22, 2004
thanks man!
thats alot of info there and i think u basically covered everything i would like to know.

dint know it would cost nearly 30 k for the first rally...
talked to a tarmac guy and he told me i needed bout 5k to start only...
(and 5K is alot to a student like me)

between tarmac and gravel, i think i would like to strt with tarmac first...
aint got the guts to go fast on gravel yet.

wadaya guys think of a saga for a tarmac rally car?possible?or am i just daydreaming of a disaster waiting to happen?

Khorne

500 RPM
Dec 4, 2003
PJ
Visit site
Reuben,

What I budgeted out is starting from scratch...
Includes buying a car and doing it up from there...
If youre really interested I know a friend who is looking to sell his Satria 1.6 ready to race. It's fully prepped up and it's a road legal car...

5K is enough to go rallying provided that you already have a car...
Seeing that youre selling away your Claire I assumed that youre gonna need to buy a car for rallying...

Anyways tarmac rally is a good way to start, but sadly event's in Malaysia is limited but you always have the option of entering the SSO and KKS Autokhana event's...

I would advice you to start grassroot first then slowly make your way up...
The sky's the limit once you get your feet wet...

Call me if you need to know more... You have my number... Ivan Ng here...

reubenc

Known Member
Apr 22, 2004
ic...ic....
clair hard to sell la...
thinking of keeping it and build it up again.
its gona burn a hole in my pocket.so much to add in.well, we will see how it goes.

how much your friend seling his satria?
possible that he is somebody i know?haha.

price and specs?

but ihave been adviced not to buy ready prepped cars la....
ive been told i will be btr off making my own...

considering a saga or my clair..:P
yea, i know its you la..thanks for the replies

reubenc

Known Member
Apr 22, 2004
its sad how the rallying scene in malaysia is so limited for the time being.
yea, KKs and grassroots are the only avenue for this tarmac passion.

ei, autocross and autokhana different rite?
if im not mistaken, autocross got no reverse stunts?am i correct?
man, i would love that. the reversing killed my time in the last autokhana
ientered

Khorne

500 RPM
Dec 4, 2003
PJ
Visit site
I'll only ask for the price if youre serious and it's not who you think it is...
Anyways it's up to you on the car of your choice and how you want it to be...
Building up your own car would be fun, but the time and money spent won't be...

There are advantages to buying prepped up ones expecially if you can find a good buy... Since you already have your claire why not just use that...

Anyways remember this thing called the internet, where you can use www.yahoo.com or www.google.com or even better www.yahoogle.com to do searches on rallying and anything else that you want to know. Try it you'll love it...

RS4wd

Known Member
Dec 16, 2003
are those kelisa rs aka rally spec still available?that one is FIA approved and only for rally use, right?

killerloop25

Known Member
Aug 31, 2004
Guy's,
Try to hook up with the real people who are actually in the rally scene. Go an experience watching a rally may it be gravel or tarmac. It would even be better if you could hook up with a photographer or the media guys which you might be able to get a close up view on the stages and the service parks. Talk to the privateers and ask them what rallying without any sponsorship is all about. Talk to Karam, Guna or Saladin and these are the people who can actually help you out in most ways. Go watch a real life rally and it would actually give you a wider scope on what rallying is all about. But let me warn you guys that tarmac rallying is much more less forgiving compared to gravel rallying. It will put a lot of stress on your car. Watch it the APRC in Kota Tinggi on the 19th-21st of August. That event is just a step below from the WRC.

Roll cage, harness, intercom, tera trip, sumpguards and the list goes on. Actually I found it cheaper to rally on a wira chassis because rally stuff are much easier to source.

reubenc

Known Member
Apr 22, 2004
wow, talk to karamjit singh..
it would be nice to have a chance to meet these champs!
thanks for the info guys.
anymore tips for newbies?

ivan, yep, im thinkin of using the clair...its either that of the saga.
the saga would be less burdensome on my pocket definately:)

KKS autokhana next sunday!!
those who wana learn more on driving,come and see the event!

Khorne

500 RPM
Dec 4, 2003
PJ
Visit site
RS4wd said:
are those kelisa rs aka rally spec still available?that one is FIA approved and only for rally use, right?
The Kelisa's should be still available but I doublt that theyre FIA Approved...
Theyre called the Kelisa RS...
You can try contacting WSM for more info, but I don't have their number cause they shifted to Dataran Prima...

Khorne

500 RPM
Dec 4, 2003
PJ
Visit site
reubenc said:
wow, talk to karamjit singh..
it would be nice to have a chance to meet these champs!
thanks for the info guys.
anymore tips for newbies?

ivan, yep, im thinkin of using the clair...its either that of the saga.
the saga would be less burdensome on my pocket definately:)

KKS autokhana next sunday!!
those who wana learn more on driving,come and see the event!
I wouldn't advice you to use the Claire for rallying...
You'de be better off with a Proton...

And another thing do what KillerLoop25 suggested cause that's one of the best way to learn, hands on...

CHEERS

reubenc

Known Member
Apr 22, 2004
CHEERS too!
thanks for all the advice.
ei, whn got rally kaki tt ar?

which kelisa is the kelisa RS?
i doubt i have ever seen one.
what does it look like?

alexz

500 RPM
Nov 22, 2004
Visit site
the kelisa rs is a special rally spec low cost kelisa with stripped out chassis etc... for privateers. but it is not FIA homologated though... so only local rallies, no international ones.

i think they should have a few left unsold...

if u ask the WSM guys i think they could lead you to it.

Khorne

500 RPM
Dec 4, 2003
PJ
Visit site
reubenc said:
CHEERS too!
thanks for all the advice.
ei, whn got rally kaki tt ar?

which kelisa is the kelisa RS?
i doubt i have ever seen one.
what does it look like?
Rally kaki TT !!! I don't think that there is such a thing...
The rally community is small and the only time they get together is during rally's or when we accidentally bump into each other...

The Kelisa RS is like that Alexz said it is...
It's the RS version of the Kelisa...
No creature comforts, just the bare essentials for you to go rallying with...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,

Im planning to upgrade the exhaust system of a Satria Neo R3. Im looking for a 4-2-1 extractor/header with a straight flow muffler. Please share your thoughts on the preferred brands (and why), workshops, experiences, price and any other information regarding about the topic would be helpful :D

My budget is around 1.5k-2k but if there are other better options that exceeds 2k, Im all ears. I would like to keep my options open for now.

Thank you :D
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience