performance filter

richardtan

Known Member
Mar 23, 2009
:driver:Hello SiFus :burnout:

If I use a good quality air intake filter for the engine, does it mean there is no adjustment to the ECU necessary? I mean, what if the air intake is so much the ecu does not know how to adjust the petrol to mix?

regards
Richard

Last edited:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
No matter how high the performance of your air filter, I don't think the airflow in an NA engine will be so high that the ECU can't adjust. Stock MAP sensors and AFMs for NA engines are even made to operate properly under a bit of positive pressure. Just a little bit over normal atmospheric pressure. If not, engines will go haywire when running in cetain places near the coast or even sometimes at areas below sea level for example underground carparks. Even if you turbo the engine, the stock sensors can still function until a certain level where the ECU intervenes. So the extra airflow from upgrading air filter won't make a mess. Feel safe bro. :burnout:
Sifus correct me if i'm wrong.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Sure no problem one..

all injection engine have air sensor..

ur fuel mix is controlled by the ECU..

just control ur right foot, and u'll be fine :burnout:

richardtan

Known Member
Mar 23, 2009
Thanks to all Bros and Sifus of this wonderful forum.

Cheers!

n0th1n

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
japan
junk-dealer.blogspot.com
wow, many opinion.
try use no filter, and check your exhaust gas with wideband sensor. then compare the result with wideband when using original filter. will it be same? (normal ecu will maintain stoich)
some more, higher air flow, such as velocity stack, you will feel the engine sluggish at low/high rpm (depends on the length of the V.S) why this happens? ecu cant compensate the higher volume of air. to overcome, re-tune air/fuel ratio and ignition.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
wow, many opinion.
try use no filter, and check your exhaust gas with wideband sensor. then compare the result with wideband when using original filter. will it be same? (normal ecu will maintain stoich)
some more, higher air flow, such as velocity stack, you will feel the engine sluggish at low/high rpm (depends on the length of the V.S) why this happens? ecu cant compensate the higher volume of air. to overcome, re-tune air/fuel ratio and ignition.
I think unstable idle and poor low-end torque from velocity stack and trumpets is mainly caused by poor mixing and atomisation of fuel. Because the air flow will only be fast at high rpms...

richardtan

Known Member
Mar 23, 2009
Hi Sifus,

so , am i right you are saying that ECU should be adjusted for best effect?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello friends

A very good Thursday from Mauritius :wavey:

This detailing job took over 5 days, from decontamination to coating, loads of defects removal and paint leveling.

Upon arrival:

Wash:

2BM method using mf wash mitt
Local car shampoo and APC mix...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience