Perdana V6 To Sell or Not to Sell Dilemma!

moggy

Oct 2, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hello Taikors, in need of your wisdom and advice as I am thinking whether i should sell my Perdana. I have a Perdana SEI, currently on stock setting, 6A 12 TT. It is my daily car, but I've come to a stage of life where am thinking if i should invest in upgrading and maintaining the car ( Rasa kocek thinning hehe) or I should just sell it and get a simple compact car. Your 2 cents would be highly appreciated, as this is how much work has been done of the car:

6A12TT Manual- Stock setting
Full time 4x4 ready *Need to find rear differential for manual 4x4*
Twin Port Disc Front and Rear
Performance muffler system
Strut bar, stabilizer, etc etc.. sudah pasang
Full Sound proofing
6 pieces Sounds system *I suka nice music :biggrin:*

Current issue I need to Change or repair or etc:

Top overhaul *Valve and seal need to change..tek tek tek sounds getting louder*
Throttle Body * RPM start to disco abit sudah*
4 channel Amp *One of the amps not stable, have to change :argh:*
Rear differential for Manual *Previously was an Auto, so the rear gear ratio can't align with the 5th gear when i change it to manual*
Shock Absorbers *Starting to get softer, will need to change it soon?*

Really appreciate your comment as the list goes, it'll take a toll at my funds which at the moment I've other life commitments to attend to. Being me, and having itchy hands that wants to tackle all those issue or coming issues *you guys can relate to it right:rofl:*, I plan to sell it so I could first balance my own budget by trading it off for a simpler , maintenance free car *Am considering a myvi :argh:*.

Much appreciated your two cents, advice... etc etc etc... :biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Are you kidding? From your 6ATT to a 1.5 Myvi would be a culture shock. First of all :

1. You will not get used to the lack of power.
2. The boat-like handling will be annoying compared to your stiffened ride.
3. Why a Myvi? Why not a Persona or Preve? Or the new Vios?

leynye yamin

Known Member
Sep 30, 2011
Sabah Sandakan
ur rite, myvi will be a really be a maintenance free car, at least for the next 10 years. but you will lose the fun in driving which you once had in the v6, in the myvi you will need to do mods in the myvi just to achive the comfort and performance standard in the v6. is your v6 fully paid? is the car brand new when under your ownership? if yes, worth to keep it, and perform needed repairs. economy is not very good nowadays, keep cash in your hand if possible, reduce outflow.

But will the problem really resolved after you perform the said repairs? you can DIY the repairs? if yes then the car is worth keeping.

However, if the new car's total expenses is much lesser than your v6 in general maintenance in total, ie, money wise, i would suggest you get the myvi and go ahead with your life, less one matter to worry is better for your mind.

Considering the fact you pointed out, i can see that you really need to fork out another few more RM K's to really get the car in running condition that can put you worry free state for the car. You do the calculation, but personally i would suggest you get Proton Preve instead, the non turbo version, but seeing you in this state, i would suggest you to get Alza as it is the nearest to your v6 in terms of cabin size.

Cheers!

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

btw, wat is the market value for your v6? just asking?

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Unlike my condition, my 2003 kenari auto was valued at rm 10K only at some local used car dealer, bcos my kenari was already fully paid,i was thinking of trading in the kenari and use the money for the downpayment for the proton preve cvt non turbo, but to my dismay, that the value given was so low that i decided to keep the car and save up for the deposit instead, as all repairs i can DIY and repair.

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
Are you kidding? From your 6ATT to a 1.5 Myvi would be a culture shock. First of all :

1. You will not get used to the lack of power.
2. The boat-like handling will be annoying compared to your stiffened ride.
3. Why a Myvi? Why not a Persona or Preve? Or the new Vios?
ok ma bro me from 6a12tt to atos.:rofl:

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

reason why i sold my 6a12tt.
1. age factor, need a old man car :biggrin:
2. not many mods to do on the engine, unlike 4g63t
3. not many aftermarket parts, halfcut parts price increasing
4. age of the car, its a 97
5. wear & tear parts change frequently
6. cannot maintain as kept as 3rd car - no point keeping it

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
I don't think the repairs will cost a lot. You can do it one at a time. But why you keep it 4wd ah?

Though Myvi will save you of maintenance, you need to service the monthly loan instead which in the end you may get a net cash outflow every month. Perdana price is already as low as it can get, any further depreciation is just marginal. If I were you, I will keep the lovely 6A12TT, furthermore it's a manual!

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Hello Taikors, in need of your wisdom and advice as I am thinking whether i should sell my Perdana. I have a Perdana SEI, currently on stock setting, 6A 12 TT. It is my daily car, but I've come to a stage of life where am thinking if i should invest in upgrading and maintaining the car ( Rasa kocek thinning hehe) or I should just sell it and get a simple compact car. Your 2 cents would be highly appreciated, as this is how much work has been done of the car:

6A12TT Manual- Stock setting
Full time 4x4 ready *Need to find rear differential for manual 4x4*
Twin Port Disc Front and Rear
Performance muffler system
Strut bar, stabilizer, etc etc.. sudah pasang
Full Sound proofing
6 pieces Sounds system *I suka nice music :biggrin:*

Current issue I need to Change or repair or etc:

Top overhaul *Valve and seal need to change..tek tek tek sounds getting louder*
Throttle Body * RPM start to disco abit sudah*
4 channel Amp *One of the amps not stable, have to change :argh:*
Rear differential for Manual *Previously was an Auto, so the rear gear ratio can't align with the 5th gear when i change it to manual*
Shock Absorbers *Starting to get softer, will need to change it soon?*

Really appreciate your comment as the list goes, it'll take a toll at my funds which at the moment I've other life commitments to attend to. Being me, and having itchy hands that wants to tackle all those issue or coming issues *you guys can relate to it right:rofl:*, I plan to sell it so I could first balance my own budget by trading it off for a simpler , maintenance free car *Am considering a myvi :argh:*.

Much appreciated your two cents, advice... etc etc etc... :biggrin:
Any car, even the Myvi, will show problems when it ages. So you can expect with a Myvi, 2~3 years down the road the absorber mounting will koyak, front anti roll bar links will become loose, add another 3 years, the drive shaft will koyak, steering rack might make noise, absorbers most definitely dead by now. Engine wise, the K3-VE is bulletproof like the 1NZ-FE, same with the stock auto box.

Frankly speaking, stick to your Perdana V6
+more comfortable
+better handling
+stable
+better performance

Owning a car is like raising a child. When baby come that time you very happy, when they poop you clean it although you don't like it, few years later when they become a rebellious teenager you feel like giving up on them but you won't. So why you giving up on your Perdana?

MAX VRG

Jun 3, 2010
Kuantan
Yeah..thats right,just stick with your perdana..with the perdana price right now...i have one,bought it 5 years ago..drive by my wife now..just keep it for your wife or son and you just buy other one war car or new standarddd car.just my opinion laa.

hamtaro00

Known Member
Sep 26, 2011
Ipoh
i like ixeo comparison ehehehehhe. if its all stock then easier to maintain by d way. unless your place no pro mechanic at all. comparing la, u use 10k to bring to prime state. no need worry maintanence for few years at least. if my wife allows me to keep my 6a12tt, i will do the same. my wife is wayyyy bigger than my sack of balls, so she win

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
yeah, you can sell me your strut bar and other mods..

i wish to improve the handling, text me if you wanna sell

moggy

Oct 2, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Thank you for all taikor's advice. After much calculations and my budget, Am thinking of the following:

• Take off the rear 4wd system and convert back to normal system. (Siapa interested to buy 6A12TT Auto(Awd) tranny + rear differential system + fuel tank)

• Top Overhaul the Engine (Tukar Valve and seal)

• Change Shock Absorbers

• Replace necessary bushings before wear and tear kicks in

• Change Throttle Body

The plan is to do this in one shot and hopefully this reconditioning will improve the car's maintenance level much like what taikor Hamtaro & ixeo suggested:idea:. Can settle within a budget of 10K hopefully :banghead:

At least I don't have to float a car loan for a few more years and have to top up a lot extra. And especially with the current economy where our currency is becoming weaker:argh:

Though I do have another idea, would it be better if I change engine? To something easier to maintain and with easier ,cheaper parts accessibility and I will have less worries of breakdown when driving out of KL? Need all Sifus suggestion please :wavey:. Then I can jualkan engine+gearbox+4wd system to change jantung :biggrin:

Last edited:

hamtaro00

Known Member
Sep 26, 2011
Ipoh
easy to maintain n stuff will be na v6 with manual tranny. on d rpm issue, might b d gear at TB. have it checked first.a dirty engine internal, airflow passage might caused dis as well.if confirm d inner mechanism of TB need replace then only tukar.rmbr to port it b4 hehehe.

and for the works u listed,u will have more than enough with 10k budget. last time when i do my car everything one shot. too much hassle to break d work.

moggy

Oct 2, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Taikor Hamtaro, at this junction, would it be wise for me to maintain this TT engine then or change to a NA one? And I forgot, need to send the gearbox for realignment, I feel like its a bit kasar.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Moggy, if you can sell your 6A12TT you can get a manual 6A12 NA with some cash to spare too, probably.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi all sifu sifu....

yesterday i just install my ground cable....
first is that my car is old..
so originally.. if open lights.. the rpm will drop a bit..
but then.. after i install ground cable, also same.. :(
dono why like this..
maybe my cable not thick enough? ( i using like 16 gauge)

the point i use is ... 2 point at engine block..
and one point at firewall, another point at body near the headlamp.
maybe not enough point?

any sifu can help?

another thing wan to...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience