Owen deveploment

Discussion in 'Forced Induction & Engine Management' started by scor, May 31, 2011.

1. Jun_EK9

Jun_EK9 Senior Member

FP is the best so i should stop thinking of buying owen and put back my green turbo...wait till 4500rpm for full boost

2. jinkl

jinkl 15 Year | Platinum

Ok guys, since the topic got too hot , and i dont want to argue n make fire ,firstly i would like to say sorry to Mr Jonathan, lets continue discussing constructively , so as for all Zth members, it would be wise if you could educate us now, im sure u know alot more about owen than the rest does.

1. What cars have been equiped with Owen's Customed Turbo
    2. How did it perform and what are the results , any dynocharts or race records
    3. What does make Owen's turbo diffrent from a FP and Original Garrett that makes it special
    4. What is the internal heatshield by Owen's , how does it look like and how does it help
    5. What are the max flow's of Owen development turbos , lb/min
    6. A rough price of the Owen's turbo in Msia, lets say GT30 Owen spec ?

simple :)

#22 jinkl, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  3. skzzi

skzzi Senior Member

1. What cars have been equiped with Owen's Customed Turbo
    I know STi owner running Owen customed turbo.
    2. How did it perform and what are the results , any dynocharts or race records
    His main objective not outright power but hella wide powerband, he dyno tune twice only i think, dynochart doesnt look very impressive but the chart doesnt justify when you actually sit in the car.
    3. What does make Owen's turbo diffrent from a FP and Original Garrett that makes it special
    Cant comment on this as STi have shitty choices of turbo selection.
    4. What is the internal heatshield by Owen's , how does it look like and how does it help
    Dont know and no idea.
    5. What are the max flow's of Owen development turbos , lb/min
    As above. no idea.
    6. A rough price of the Owen's turbo in Msia, lets say GT30 Owen spec ?

Price wise, i think the owner would like to keep it discreet. Although is not cheap, but according to the owner, is worth the money and worth the wait. FYI his owen is still twin scroll, not the single scroll conversion.

End of the day, all these car parts are subjective, some individual would spend, some won't. Some will buy hella expensive rims and put on shitty tyres. Some will spend 10k on the bodykit, some will spend 10k on its engine. And this fella i know off, he wont give a damm if his bumper fell off, or scratch like hell, he just drive.

4. jinkl

jinkl 15 Year | Platinum

These is the kind of response that I am looking for :) 10q

5. Dayline668

Dayline668 Senior Member

Ya.. i'm interested too in turbo that V8 Sti can use.. price range..? any1 can share the dyno chart or ref..?

6. Jonathan Leong

Jonathan Leong From Facebook

skizzi: pay so much to get same hp for wat must well buy fP.lag is not a prob but can have big hp

7. jinkl

jinkl 15 Year | Platinum

please sifu JUN_ek9 , the questions are still above , any anwsers so far for my questions ? is it a secret ? :)

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

im also hoping to find some dyno chart to be shared, quite mysterious

#27 jinkl, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  8. Jonathan Leong

as a moderator u should be neutral at the 1st place.

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

the only answer i will tell u is big power without respond is nothing

9. jinkl

jinkl 15 Year | Platinum

you can go back to my posts, there was no foul language used , no one was called stupid or anything such, nothing personal was written on a personal level , as forumer you are encouraged to discuss constructively with arguable facts and opinion , for an example, when someone says something and states his opinion, he includes his referral links and proof for his statements, the right way to do anwser or discuss positively, correct someone if they have stated something wrong, no one is always right , even as a moderator , you are encouraged to discuss constructively

by asking this questions above, it doesnt mean I am shooting you , in a discussion or forum thread, each question and anwser is a contribution to the readers of the forum. There is no need to be neutral in a discussion, no foul language or personal wordings were used. What has happened in this thread can be summarized.

User 1 : Posts pictures of Owen Development Turbo's in multiple thread which was later combined
    Me : Responded to show other available plug n play Evo 8/9 turbos available to compete with the available Owen's plug and play turbo
    Me : Showed that FP is the manufacturer of the core that was used by Owen's with proof of links and information regarding it *this is usefull information for readers to know, its not against the topic at all*
    after further discussion, we found a few things diffrent from the GT series from FP and Owen which is Owen offers their turbo at an exclusive price for 3 main diffrences , "added bullet nut, more durable bearing , internal heat shield"
    Jonathan : Comes in and says , the FP's are laggy
    Me : i further post FP achievements in the drag scene to proof that FP's which were said to be laggy has performed wonderfully in the motorsport industry.
    Jonathan : Says, original garrett turbo's are laggy too and Owen has made modifications to the GT's for the better. Also said that I should create my own FP topic instead of discussing it over here.
    Me : shoots question regarding the Owen's turbo, that currently till this moment has no anwser.

In my opinion is wrong, when there are two comparative products in the market , its not wrong at all to bring in the product and compare them in the intended thread. Its to compare what is discussed in the thread to what other is available. Questions should rise, why is it different, where is the origin of the turbo, what changes has been made by Owen compared to the FP's, why it was made that way and such. That is what I call a healthy discussion.

For example:
    You can say "I have strongest man alive".
    To proof to the world , you should have a video lifting 200kg weight , able to pull an airplane n etc

They say "The world fastest road car is the buggati"
    To proof to the world , they drove the car and achieved 400kmh , showed to the world the specifications of the Buggatti, the results, the dyno n etc.

So in our scenario :
    What is the proof that Owen's do spool faster than the comparative origin product which is the FP.
    The readers of this thread knows that FP took garrett's turbo and made the HTA series. Owen's took the FP HTA series and made enhancement to make their own series. Owen has stated , they have several changes that I do have listed in my question, which I ownself do not have the anwser for. Since you are already a Owen's user , in my mind I thought you would know the anwser to my questions. Please do remember that this is a discussion thread and not a adverstisment marketplace thread, discussion should be opened.

So , now you would say "the only answer i will tell u is big power without respond is nothing". So the readers over here would have questions like mine
    "How faster spool is the Owen's turbo compared to the standard"
    "Why is it faster"
    "What has Owen changed in his turbo"
    "What other things has owen done"

Currently the situation is like a hit and run, it currently states for an example
    "my car is the fastest in the world" , when someone asks, what is your proof , what is inside your car , i hear an absolute silence with one sentence anwsers "my car fastest". Thats just an example, so the question is simple, "why is owen's turbo special"

Thank you

#29 jinkl, Jun 10, 2011
  10. kumar22mostwanted

kumar22mostwanted Senior Member

i absolutely agree with you that bench racing or even the use of butt dyno shouldnt be enough to judge a products performance
    dyno charts and lap timings should be proper judge of the products performance
    and a comparative dyno chart would be the best judge of the difference in cfm and spool times for two different turbos
    comparative dyno chart in my mind is like 1 car max boost run then record max whp and torque thn turun then next car run and max boost and record max whp and torque then the two cars max whp and torque and spool can be measure on the same graph even
    it is a hassle lah but needs to be done to get the best comparison
    *peace* :rolleyes:

11. Jonathan Leong

does it mean i need to prove to u owen spool faster? see it your self what material use on a owen and FP.i also lazy want to read your post as i know a moderator like u shouldnt be at all. u bring in a funny car show us a dragster but do u think what they used on the dragster is same turbo as they sell to u?
    lazy want to reply u as getting no where.sharing things can be good but b4 somebody try to share u starting to shoot.

12. jinkl

jinkl 15 Year | Platinum

if you say something, you should stand behind it isnt it ? isnt that why a forum is created , to discuss ?
    Please do note the diffrences, a dragster, funny car and a drag car is two diffrent things. Those cars posted previously are not some simply some cars on the internet, its all members of the NABR , Evolutionm and Dsmtuners members. If you think the way I anwser and discuss is wrong , then I am sorry.

lets end it here, i would like to say sorry to Mr Jonathan , sorry if u felt it was harsh or personal, I would say its simply a mere serious discussion. I rather find myself the anwsers myself and share it with others. Sorry again, I wont get into your way.

These topic is a mere advertisment :)

#32 jinkl, Jun 10, 2011
  13. Boonkae

Boonkae 5 Year | Silver

I've use Owen & FP's turbo on my evo before ...
    Both are quite good turbo companys ...
    But to tell you the truth ... I think Owen's turbo is abit expensive ...
    If you search the evolutionm forum ... they will say that both are good turbos ..
    As for the subaru owner with owen turbo ... i know him ... :biggrin:

14. blackx5

blackx5 5 Year | Silver

Here's some pictures taken from Owen's facebook profile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Richard Billings & Alan Cooks Street Eliminator , supported by Owens

15. scor

scor 15 Year | Platinum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just coming Owen Deveploment GT3076.
    Fully diffuser,billet cut wheel(custom wheel angle,light weigh,fully balancing,better compress result),conical nut,F2 bearing,internal heatshield(compressor side and turbine housing side)and metal casing.Share to everybody.:biggrin:

16. Slowboy

Slowboy 5 Year | Silver

Price bro?

17. scor

scor 15 Year | Platinum

18. blue.taxi

blue.taxi Senior Member

this Owen Deveploment GT3076 is it the same unit in one of drift car?

may be should used 1 of the kopi ad... "I ask u to try!!" keke......

19. scor

scor 15 Year | Platinum

Which drift car your mean?

20. blue.taxi

blue.taxi Senior Member

errr... I saw it in the last week S'pore auto show car is green color, promoting some tyre brand & drift show. the turbo look very close to the pic u shown...