Opinion on nissan b13 with sr20ve 20v?

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
Hi guys,
Recently i went to test drive a nissan sentra b13 with sr20ve 20v and 6 speed manual gearbox.
I am quite interested in the car.
Anybody have opinions on the reliability and maintenance?

Thanks

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
Its not a 20 valve engine. The 20v is a common name for this engine haha. Yes this engine is a neo vvl with 204hp and 207nm torque. Similar to vtec when vvl opens haha.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi guys,
Recently i went to test drive a nissan sentra b13 with sr20ve 20v and 6 speed manual gearbox.
I am quite interested in the car.
Anybody have opinions on the reliability and maintenance?

Thanks
B13 the Genting taxi is an aging platform. Parts will be hard to get and that goes for the SR20VE also. How'd that fella get the 1.6 endorsed to a 2.0? I used to have a B13 and it was a pretty simple car. Nothing fancy, nothing complicated. Just now the parts are going to be rare.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
An old car, with a transplanted engine that probably involved wiring work, not to mention an engine that is overpowered for the original chassis. Sounds very familiar. Like a car mentioned in these forums. That's just parking.

@brokenjars trust me you really DON'T WANT to do this. Just buy a newer stock car.

Reliability: depends on the work done by the owner. 9 out 10 times its shit
Maintenance: depends on the above, if its shit, then you gonna have a hard time maintaining it cause 90% of the time you are fixing it.

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
B13 the Genting taxi is an aging platform. Parts will be hard to get and that goes for the SR20VE also. How'd that fella get the 1.6 endorsed to a 2.0? I used to have a B13 and it was a pretty simple car. Nothing fancy, nothing complicated. Just now the parts are going to be rare.
Yes it is the taxi genting. Car looks to be ok, no weird noises or clanking when i test drive the car. He said he endorse 1.8, before he endorsed 2.0. I told him as long as he can get pass puspakom I am ok haha. SR20VE 20V engines are quite new, and the engine kosong are cheap too. Shouldn't be that hard to get I think?

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
An old car, with a transplanted engine that probably involved wiring work, not to mention an engine that is overpowered for the original chassis. Sounds very familiar. Like a car mentioned in these forums. That's just parking.

@brokenjars trust me you really DON'T WANT to do this. Just buy a newer stock car.

Reliability: depends on the work done by the owner. 9 out 10 times its shit
Maintenance: depends on the above, if its shit, then you gonna have a hard time maintaining it cause 90% of the time you are fixing it.
Haha somehow I like older design cars. I was driving the AE101 4AGE blacktop manual 6 speed before I sold it today.

What are your suggestions on the type of cars I should go for?
Below 25k budget. The cheaper the better. haha

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Haha somehow I like older design cars. I was driving the AE101 4AGE blacktop manual 6 speed before I sold it today.

What are your suggestions on the type of cars I should go for?
Below 25k budget. The cheaper the better. haha
Old cars definitely have their charm, the mechanical feel to it. RM25k budget, not sure if you can get a used Proton Iriz 1.6L with the 5 speed manual by Getrag.

Something like the Iriz offers you:
+Safer chassis, improved crumple zones and rigidity where needed
+Modern handling - Lotus inspired
+Rev happy (and thirsty) engine
+This variant gives you a Getrag 5 speed manual

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
Old cars definitely have their charm, the mechanical feel to it. RM25k budget, not sure if you can get a used Proton Iriz 1.6L with the 5 speed manual by Getrag.

Something like the Iriz offers you:
+Safer chassis, improved crumple zones and rigidity where needed
+Modern handling - Lotus inspired
+Rev happy (and thirsty) engine
+This variant gives you a Getrag 5 speed manual
Yes modern cars definitely have better safety features and with better chassis. However i plan to buy this car as my project car and will have another modern family car soon. Hence due to my low budget, i plan to get a car with as powerful and fun engine and handling, couple with moderate maintenance.

Having sat on a modded toyota seg ae101 with 6 speed blacktop, i think the iriz will feel quite a downgrade to me. My blacktop can get me 0-100 in 7.8 seconds.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Yes modern cars definitely have better safety features and with better chassis. However i plan to buy this car as my project car and will have another modern family car soon. Hence due to my low budget, i plan to get a car with as powerful and fun engine and handling, couple with moderate maintenance.

Having sat on a modded toyota seg ae101 with 6 speed blacktop, i think the iriz will feel quite a downgrade to me. My blacktop can get me 0-100 in 7.8 seconds.
If you want a project car, buy @Izso 's #bmw1jzparking
2JZ yo. Apa lagi mau?

You offer him RM25k see he wanna sell or not. Since you will have another modern vehicle. Alternatively this one
https://www.mudah.my/Bmw+e34+2jz-70321924.htm?last=1

E34 with 2JZ. Personally I'd get a 3 series chassis over a 5 series.

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
If you want a project car, buy @Izso 's #bmw1jzparking
2JZ yo. Apa lagi mau?

You offer him RM25k see he wanna sell or not. Since you will have another modern vehicle. Alternatively this one
https://www.mudah.my/Bmw+e34+2jz-70321924.htm?last=1

E34 with 2JZ. Personally I'd get a 3 series chassis over a 5 series.
2jz is 3000cc man. Sure maintenance and fuel consumption high. Not to mention the road tax haha

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
2jz is 3000cc man. Sure maintenance and fuel consumption high. Not to mention the road tax haha
Well your old car also 0-100km in 7.8 seconds. You wanna upgrade right. 2JZ confirm upgrade lor. @Izso one is 1JZ, also upgrade.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yes it is the taxi genting. Car looks to be ok, no weird noises or clanking when i test drive the car. He said he endorse 1.8, before he endorsed 2.0. I told him as long as he can get pass puspakom I am ok haha. SR20VE 20V engines are quite new, and the engine kosong are cheap too. Shouldn't be that hard to get I think?
The engine isn't hard to source parts. It's the car itself that's hard to source. Absorbers, bushes, gaskets, etc these days are not easy to source. Not impossible, just rare.

Dude.. you want a turbo car what are you complaining about? Name a turbo car that has good fuel consumption and I'll tell you that you looked at the numbers wrong. Anyway, my 1JZ single turbo is not a thirsty bugger as long as I don't boost. I don't boost much now because the rears need to upsize so it gets me about 9-10km/L off-boost. On boost it drops to 5-6km/L

For 25k cash up front there isn't much you can opt for that's reasonably good on the FC and fun to drive. Would you consider conti? E36s sell between 9-15k depending on condition and capacity. The stock M50/S50 engines are pretty peppy and with a manual (which aren't rare) you can get pretty decent levels of fun. RWD, and parts are surprisingly plentiful (new) - just get the contacts off me, and bodykits and stuff aren't rare either. Looks better than most Japanese cars of the same age, era and cost too. Once you go RWD / AWD, you'll never want to go back to FWD again unless it's a Civic Type-R. Those are pretty awesome machines.

Reactions: alcyon

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The engine isn't hard to source parts. It's the car itself that's hard to source. Absorbers, bushes, gaskets, etc these days are not easy to source. Not impossible, just rare.
Body parts same like my Hyundai. Engine is mitsu base so quite ok, but body parts really hard to find, and absorbers are really expensive......

Reactions: Izso

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The price of cars in Malaysia may not go any lower if the government removes the various duties imposed on imported automobiles, said International Trade and Industry Deputy Minister Jacob Dungau Sagan.

He said there are various factors that are outside of the government's control in determining the price of imported cars, such as component prices and foreign exchange rates.

“Reduction of duties...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience