Opinion on nissan b13 with sr20ve 20v?

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
Hi guys,
Recently i went to test drive a nissan sentra b13 with sr20ve 20v and 6 speed manual gearbox.
I am quite interested in the car.
Anybody have opinions on the reliability and maintenance?

Thanks
I used to own B13, B14, N16 (2 times). All of them converted to 16ve, 20ve, 20DET W11.

About 20ve 20v, Easy to maintain. The engine is the same with SR20VET. Especially on the head part. SR's are all timing chain. So basically just take care of your engine oil.The chain is a bit different from 16ve and 20ve.
Back to the similarity (20VE 20V = 20VET) Similar in terms of using only one solenoid for VVL activation, thus the intake and exhaust opens at the same time (unlike SR16neovvl and SR20neovvl, both got 2 solenoids whereby they activate intake cams and exhaust cams separately). OemExhaust headers are big. 4-1 headers. Its an upgrade for 16ve and 20ve.
this engine, You can play around with FD2R (stock). This is from experience (a converted N16 with 20ve 20v) So imagine a lighter chassis that is B13.
The GB is 4.7 FD better than 16ve GB (4.4 FD)

Circa 2009, this Nissan primera P12 20ve 20v halfcut would command a price of between 10-13k. Current market is below 9k.
And those days, foremans are facing difficulty when converting this halfcut to another chassis because its TB is sensor activated, not cable.
So they just convert it to WORKS TB and run by cable. As time went by, google becomes wider and more plenty with infos, this prob was resolved and there are foremans that successful in maintaining the electronic TB. (But majority will still prefer converting to cable operated TB). I am not sure about yours. Just put a picture here.

B13 nowadays parts are plenty to come by. new or used. No worries. No prob.No headache.Because some are interchangeable between B14 and N16. If one were to take out the interchangeable factors out...Again i would say it is not a headache at all. Still easy to find used or new. So many B13 users out there. Stock GA or converted to SR.
I have seen so many converted B13 that still runs strong until today.

B13 is the best handling sentra, nissan has ever produced, because: No rear torsion beam. And B13 has the most bushings (front and rear) as compared to other sentra (B14 and N16).

Endorsing from 1.6 to 2.0 is not and never a problem for nissan. Been there, done that by myself. No runner. We are not talking about proton here.

Last edited:

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
I used to own B13, B14, N16 (2 times). All of them converted to 16ve, 20ve, 20DET W11.

About 20ve 20v, Easy to maintain. The engine is the same with SR20VET. Especially on the head part. SR's are all timing chain. So basically just take care of your engine oil.The chain is a bit different from 16ve and 20ve.
Back to the similarity (20VE 20V = 20VET) Similar in terms of using only one solenoid for VVL activation, thus the intake and exhaust opens at the same time (unlike SR16neovvl and SR20neovvl, both got 2 solenoids whereby they activate intake cams and exhaust cams separately). OemExhaust headers are big. 4-1 headers. Its an upgrade for 16ve and 20ve.
this engine, You can play around with FD2R (stock). This is from experience (a converted N16 with 20ve 20v) So imagine a lighter chassis that is B13.
The GB is 4.7 FD better than 16ve GB (4.4 FD)

Circa 2009, this Nissan primera P12 20ve 20v halfcut would command a price of between 10-13k. Current market is below 9k.
And those days, foremans are facing difficulty when converting this halfcut to another chassis because its TB is sensor activated, not cable.
So they just convert it to WORKS TB and run by cable. As time went by, google becomes wider and more plenty with infos, this prob was resolved and there are foremans that successful in maintaining the electronic TB. (But majority will still prefer converting to cable operated TB). I am not sure about yours. Just put a picture here.

B13 nowadays parts are plenty to come by. new or used. No worries. No prob.No headache.Because some are interchangeable between B14 and N16. If one were to take out the interchangeable factors out...Again i would say it is not a headache at all. Still easy to find used or new. So many B13 users out there. Stock GA or converted to SR.
I have seen so many converted B13 that still runs strong until today.

B13 is the best handling sentra, nissan has ever produced, because: No rear torsion beam. And B13 has the most bushings (front and rear) as compared to other sentra (B14 and N16).

Endorsing from 1.6 to 2.0 is not and never a problem for nissan. Been there, done that by myself. No runner. We are not talking about proton here.
Thanks for the detailed explaination. Yes i am quite interested in the b13 chassis and change upon a guy selling his b13 sentra for 13k with the sr20ve 20v from primera p12. However his roof is rusted and have a hole hence needed to change roof and repaint whole body. Interior is original b13 with pulsar meter and wiring. Throttle body is like what u said, a works 70mm tb. Using de distributer and ditch out the original coil packs. I am just not sure whether this is a good buy? Tested and engine sound fine and the pull is strong. However due to needing to spend another 4k (roof, paint, absorbers, spoilt radio) i am having second doubts.

And another foreman told me he can do a sr20vet conversion from the nissan xtrail gt with 280ps into the b13 body. Estimated cost around 9-10k . If that is the case, i am wondering is it better to take a slightly higher risk and buy a used unmodded sentra for 4k for this conversion?
I wanted to best if possible. Total for this i am thinking maybe spending around 17-18k.

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
I doubt it will cost 9-10k, halfcut alone cost 8-9k, and be advised...you definitely gonna source a 2wd gearbox (you cannot lock a 4wd nissan GB, but anyway..20VET is AT 4WD, so definitely no use) with its accessories (mounting, hangar mountings, inner CV, clutch pump assemblies, starter motor, flywheel, etc..) this alone will cost up to 2k. (lets not forget off course you must upgrade your clutch and clutch cover and a bit of customization of the driveshaft). Off course you can use a cheaper GB (the 8.5 inch bell housing, smaller shaft, cable operated), but this is 20vet, with a lot of torque and ponies, i recommend AT LEAST a 9 inch big shaft GB, (forget about 9.5 inch GB, a complete set will cost you almost 3k and this is a really pain in the ass to find a complete set)

and then the intercoolers, OEM 20VET wont fit into B13, you gonna have to do FMIC, that also incurred cost.
and not to forget the small2 items (aircond piping, exhaust piping, oils, labours etc)

So all in all, it would never be 9-10k. That foreman is not transparent enough, better ask him seriously what type of conversion he offered for the 20vet that he quoted so cheap about 9-10k. With that kind of price it is very very very fishy.

If its engine lantai.....forget it.

20VET is not plug and play into B13 chassis, its a hell lot of work.
Only these are plug and play:
1. SR20DET N14 Gtir
2. SR16Neovvl
3. SR18DE B13 GTS
4. SR20DE B13 SER
5. SR18 non GTS Y10
6. SR20DE Y10
7. SR20DE P10
8. SR20neovvl P11

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
I doubt it will cost 9-10k, halfcut alone cost 8-9k, and be advised...you definitely gonna source a 2wd gearbox (you cannot lock a 4wd nissan GB, but anyway..20VET is AT 4WD, so definitely no use) with its accessories (mounting, hangar mountings, inner CV, clutch pump assemblies, starter motor, flywheel, etc..) this alone will cost up to 2k. (lets not forget off course you must upgrade your clutch and clutch cover and a bit of customization of the driveshaft). Off course you can use a cheaper GB (the 8.5 inch bell housing, smaller shaft, cable operated), but this is 20vet, with a lot of torque and ponies, i recommend AT LEAST a 9 inch big shaft GB, (forget about 9.5 inch GB, a complete set will cost you almost 3k and this is a really pain in the ass to find a complete set)

and then the intercoolers, OEM 20VET wont fit into B13, you gonna have to do FMIC, that also incurred cost.
and not to forget the small2 items (aircond piping, exhaust piping, oils, labours etc)

So all in all, it would never be 9-10k. That foreman is not transparent enough, better ask him seriously what type of conversion he offered for the 20vet that he quoted so cheap about 9-10k. With that kind of price it is very very very fishy.

If its engine lantai.....forget it.

20VET is not plug and play into B13 chassis, its a hell lot of work.
Only these are plug and play:
1. SR20DET N14 Gtir
2. SR16Neovvl
3. SR18DE B13 GTS
4. SR20DE B13 SER
5. SR18 non GTS Y10
6. SR20DE Y10
7. SR20DE P10
8. SR20neovvl P11
He said he done it before for 9.3k into a b13. For the price he quoted, it is until the car can be driven on the road, not including puspakom and jpj of course. Also I have to trade in my original b13 engine and the exhaust he will only do until the middle, the rest he will just sambung with my original piping.

Yes, he also said for the sr20vet only the engine is going to be used, the rest are not suitable so he will mix the parts with other cars. So he said buying halfcut is rugi only. Overall his package is until the car can move for around 10k max.

Why is an engine lantai?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
He said he done it before for 9.3k into a b13. For the price he quoted, it is until the car can be driven on the road, not including puspakom and jpj of course. Also I have to trade in my original b13 engine and the exhaust he will only do until the middle, the rest he will just sambung with my original piping.

Yes, he also said for the sr20vet only the engine is going to be used, the rest are not suitable so he will mix the parts with other cars. So he said buying halfcut is rugi only. Overall his package is until the car can move for around 10k max.

Why is an engine lantai?
Engine Lantai is the engine only. Halfcut comes with everything in that half which was cut. Some take it apart and sell separate, therefore the engine alone is the engine lantai.....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I
Really? I had a bloody nightmare of a time looking for parts. One of the reasons why I sold mine

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
Really? I had a bloody nightmare of a time looking for parts. One of the reasons why I sold mine
The bodyparts or the engine? Also what type of engine you had?
Also did you join any fb group on the sentra b13? Usually the mechanics and users who had b13 post their parts for sale there.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Engine Lantai is the engine only. Halfcut comes with everything in that half which was cut. Some take it apart and sell separate, therefore the engine alone is the engine lantai.....
ya loh, engine lantai is cheaper. But if problem may double the halfcut price.
some mech can crank- start engine lantai even better before buy.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
ya loh, engine lantai is cheaper. But if problem may double the halfcut price.
some mech can crank- start engine lantai even better before buy.
Of course first time swap need half cut loh, but if anything happens to the engine then only look for engine lantai......lol

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
Anybody owning this car, the sentra b13 with sr20det or sr20ve can commend on the spare parts availability?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The bodyparts or the engine? Also what type of engine you had?
Also did you join any fb group on the sentra b13? Usually the mechanics and users who had b13 post their parts for sale there.
Erm... I'm a lot older than FB. My car was pre-FB days when MIRC and ICQ was a thing.. Hahahaha.. Oh well.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey, Im thinking of custom making a sticker... anyone knows where?
I need the kind that will stick to the window from inside the car, transparant background with white wordings. Something like the official ZTH sticker.
:)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience