Open pod setup for Neo Campro AT

reefdee

Known Member
Mar 29, 2010
Putrajaya
thinking of doing it but i heard the mod would not increase the neo's performance bcos it's AT.. anyone would like to share your thoughts or experience on this mod? :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

and a K&N induction kit looks really cool in an engine bay.. :P

WPQ800

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2008
i think a closed airbox with knn element would be better.... since urs an auto....

why?

not sure but i think it got sumtin to do with the target powerband that differs from open pod to close pod / box type....

open pods normally serve its purpose well from mid to higher revs..... so a manual ride with freedom to control gear shifts have advantage.....

close pods will give better grunt at lower end and this will benefit auto trans car....

i also think other factors that improve the breathing to a car (air filter related) would also include:
- the length, and size/diameter of the air ram
- the air pressure and speed inside the air ram
- the position of the filter (near heat source or not? near a dead-air position or not?)
- the temperature of the air (rule of thumb: the colder the better, hence CAI type or just CAI flexible pipe used will give significant feel when u floor the throttle)
- the material and filtration level of the filter (mesh wire, sponge type, cotton type, etc allow for different filtration level....some are more resistant while some are lesser)
- how dirty is the filter? even the best aftermarket filters will perform worst than factory paper type if its not clean! also another rule of thumb.....keep ou filters clean.... haha

just my 2 cents from my 2 cents experience....:biggrin:

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
You may consider to try the Works Engineering Carbon Charger Intake System, as it is an open pod system with a closed filter. Therefore this prevents hot air from entering into it.

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
this one very familiar...i sold one to campro king...hahaaa

reefdee

Known Member
Mar 29, 2010
Putrajaya
how bout a modded AT with piggyback doing 110whp.. would an open pod setup help improve things further? or not?

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
IMO Open pod only. Tranmission does not matter. Air intake is about the amount of air taken in for your engine's combustion. More Air (oxygen) + fuel = better combustion = more power. Full stop.
But make sure you want to suck in cold air not hot air. For neo, try to find piping that reach until somewhere in front your battery and away from your engine block and exractor.

Personally tried Redline drop in and in the end still switched to open pod. Car revs faster. Mind you that your exhaust will sound a little louder also due to more air being sucked in and higher combustion.

Result: Better power and better FC.

reefdee

Known Member
Mar 29, 2010
Putrajaya
which open pod air filters should i get? K&N? Pipercross? UtR? i was thinking of getting UtR cos its cheaper, looks cooler (stainless steel wire mesh) and it works.. i've used UtR, K&N and Pipercross(current) drop in filters for my neo and they fared almost the same in terms of performance.. so why go with expensive ones rite? unless you're into brand names.. =)

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
which open pod air filters should i get? K&N? Pipercross? UtR? i was thinking of getting UtR cos its cheaper, looks cooler (stainless steel wire mesh) and it works.. i've used UtR, K&N and Pipercross(current) drop in filters for my neo and they fared almost the same in terms of performance.. so why go with expensive ones rite? unless you're into brand names.. =)
IMO any brand is ok. I bought my piping and filter as a set (2nd hand) from a guy. The filter is Apexi brand (replica) but works well also. If I were to change I would buy Redline, cheap and good quality. they have open pod filters also about rm140 if i'm correct.

mant53

Jul 1, 2009
i'd say a drop in K&N filter is better for auto... and for sure fuel consumption would be worse especially if u're right foot is naughty :P

escksu

Known Member
Nov 25, 2011
Singapore
thinking of doing it but i heard the mod would not increase the neo's performance bcos it's AT.. anyone would like to share your thoughts or experience on this mod? :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

and a K&N induction kit looks really cool in an engine bay.. :P
Mine is MT but what I did is to connect a pipe from the throttle body to the fog lamp. Then install an open pod filter.

I installed 3" pipe as thats the only size I have. Low end did not suffer but high RPM did improve a little. IMHO, do not use pipe any larger than 3" or it will affect your low end torque.

holysniper

Known Member
May 26, 2011
N/A
okay just changed to an open pod with some lousy filters from my friend's old car.. throttle response better (i thought it wouldnt affect this).. engine feels 'livelier', willing to rev.

but mine is 2 pipes joined together, not a single pipe. The pipe is damn hot! anyway to insulate it? The workshop actually recommended me get carbon air intake (something like works' design) as they using plastic flexi pipe so as to not conduct heat (claim that it is same or even better than open pod) But I wanted to try open pod.. haha.

Attachments

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My mother's car, sky blue coloured Proton Waja was stolen just an hour ago in front of my house. My housing area is Jalan SS7/18. Nearby Kelana Seafood, PKNS field, Kelana Jaya Stadium. No. plate WKD 5890. If seen or found, please contact me as soon as possible. Thanks! H/P no: 012-6694034 Melvin
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience