Old School Cars Discussion

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Hi guys, look at this thread ..i know 10 years ago, but yeah its in selangor.

http://zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=128218
As for the celica supra, i mean the one right after this "firebird" lookalike. The one that looks like lotus esprit.
The C210 aka 180k and 240k isnt what I am after, as those are actually 70's designs, plus nothing that special too me.
yes the RA60 celica is very ugly, especially the earlier ones, They did improve the looks towards the 84 to 86 ones, but still not my cup of tea.
I saw a 2nd gen Celica Supra for the first time 4 days ago in Ipoh old town. Looks well maintained. Silver coloured with RS watanabe style rims. If I am not mistaken, it should be this exact same car because the colour and wheels matched this one here.

http://www.mekanika.com.my/modifikasi/toyota-celica-supra-ma61

Meanwhile at that moment, I was fetching 3 of my friends in my car. 1 is a car guy while the other 2 is not. So they ask me, AE86 ah? :rofl:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I saw a 2nd gen Celica Supra for the first time 4 days ago in Ipoh old town. Looks well maintained. Silver coloured with RS watanabe style rims. If I am not mistaken, it should be this exact same car because the colour and wheels matched this one here.

http://www.mekanika.com.my/modifikasi/toyota-celica-supra-ma61

Meanwhile at that moment, I was fetching 3 of my friends in my car. 1 is a car guy while the other 2 is not. So they ask me, AE86 ah? :rofl:
from the last photo, from www.mekanika, there is a dangling meter at the centre console. The car pecut so fast until cabut ka?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
from the last photo, from www.mekanika, there is a dangling meter at the centre console. The car pecut so fast until cabut ka?
Hahahaha. It looks like the interior is not as well maintained as the exterior. I notice a lot of old school cars are like this. Exterior looks pretty much tip top, but interior is just so so. Perhaps it is harder to find parts to restore the bits on the interior?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Hahahaha. It looks like the interior is not as well maintained as the exterior. I notice a lot of old school cars are like this. Exterior looks pretty much tip top, but interior is just so so. Perhaps it is harder to find parts to restore the bits on the interior?
correct! unless its a very common car, usually not easy to cari parts, anyay... years of wear and tear does take its toll. the car in question here is actually in pretty good cond for its age..... You might be surprised to find that it is a lot more exp to refurbish the interior of a car compared to its exterior

no place to mount kut? so hang there je haha

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
correct! unless its a very common car, usually not easy to cari parts, anyay... years of wear and tear does take its toll. the car in question here is actually in pretty good cond for its age..... You might be surprised to find that it is a lot more exp to refurbish the interior of a car compared to its exterior

no place to mount kut? so hang there je haha
Exterior wise, any skilled bodywork shop can do it. Plus I believe some of the external parts can custom made by factories if original parts can't be found. Interior parts are more difficult to be fabricated again I think?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Exterior wise, any skilled bodywork shop can do it. Plus I believe some of the external parts can custom made by factories if original parts can't be found. Interior parts are more difficult to be fabricated again I think?
yeah... exterior... dented quite badly also... once sent to a good bodyshop, all gone (actually alittle scary not knowing whats lurking underneath the pretty paint)

interior pieces... catualy can refurbish.... but wah manyak mahal. They will fit the base together again (glue ke putty ke fiber ke, depending on how and what they want to do) then wrap everything up nicely. dashboards (and some plastic trim) from the 80's alot retak dah.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
interior are more susceptible to damages due to plastic material. That is why many old skool cars are not-so-perfect when sit inside the car.

I saw an old corona last time. The owner removed the deteriorating interior plastic trims and left the interior bare. Door cards changed to aluminum panel. Along the way, some sound deadening were removed and eventually managed to shaved of a good few kg off the corona.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
old skool car should have restored as close to original specs.
yup, is hard to get spare parts, but that is the bitter of the sweet. Patient. as quote in mekanika.
If just for rwd purpose, plunk in powerful engine...that is partly restoration, partly rojak.

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
yeah... exterior... dented quite badly also... once sent to a good bodyshop, all gone (actually alittle scary not knowing whats lurking underneath the pretty paint)

interior pieces... catualy can refurbish.... but wah manyak mahal. They will fit the base together again (glue ke putty ke fiber ke, depending on how and what they want to do) then wrap everything up nicely. dashboards (and some plastic trim) from the 80's alot retak dah.
Hahahaha, the layer of paint is always a veil to hide the truth and past history of a car. But if we left the car in its original paint, assuming it is already over 30 years old, the paint probably looks terrible enough especially if the car is exposed to rain and sun light. I'm not including showroom or museum cars with original paint in this case. :biggrin: So, a new paint is probably inevitable in order to protect the body of the car.

I admire those who refurbish the interior bits to factory specifications because it does look nice. What I hate is the refurbished interior which looked like square boxes taken out from racing cars. I've seen a few old school cars doing that with the interior. Random gauges and switches everywhere along with the box styled race car interior. I think the interior is important to remind you of what car you are in and driving. On old school cars, it gives out that nostalgic feel. But as for that race car inspired interior, I don't know what can I say about that. :banghead:

interior are more susceptible to damages due to plastic material. That is why many old skool cars are not-so-perfect when sit inside the car.

I saw an old corona last time. The owner removed the deteriorating interior plastic trims and left the interior bare. Door cards changed to aluminum panel. Along the way, some sound deadening were removed and eventually managed to shaved of a good few kg off the corona.
Seats restoration should be easier than dashboard or door trim. Seats you can rewrap the original one or just get yourself some nice Recaro, Bride, Sparco or some other racing seats. As for the interior trims, aftermarket custom stuff just doesn't feel fitting to the car.

Interior damages are mostly caused by deterioration due to age and our hot weather in Malaysia. Unless the owner is really someone who don't give a damn about the interior, damages caused by external factors like cuts, dents and bumps from other objects rarely happens.

old skool car should have restored as close to original specs.
yup, is hard to get spare parts, but that is the bitter of the sweet. Patient. as quote in mekanika.
If just for rwd purpose, plunk in powerful engine...that is partly restoration, partly rojak.
Hehe, but the Supra featured in mekanika is not original spec since the engine had been changed.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Bro Renesis,

No doubt the engine isnt ori spec, but old skool engine is hard to obtain spareparts if they are broken. Perhaps the celica supra owner went resto-mod direction. Since ori engine is hard to repair, expensive parts and not efficient compared to the new heart. The good thing is, the engine is still a Toyota engine.

I know from a toyota owner who installed a 3tgte engine (1800cc). The engine was swapped from the ori 2tg engine (1600cc). He thought it was a good upgrade and has this uniqueness among other cars. Plus it gives him bragging rights (The 3tgte was used in Toyota Rally cars then). However, he regretted installing 3tgte engine because of bulkiness, heavy (upset handling) and lack power despite with a factory turbo. Mind you that 3tgte has twin-plugs which was quite special at that time.

Nowadays, some small capacity engine with turbo can really kick ass.....even cars with higher cc engines...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The main question of the cars owners whether it is necessary to wash engine or not. Let's find concrete arguments for and against washing the engine.

Oh gosh... Never wash before because afraid might harm the parts.

Look at the dirt accumulated after 12 years when owner obtained the car...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience