Okay I'm Butt hurt now

GTT

Feb 14, 2007
Running on ron95 for 4 years, stock ER34 (tiptronic) daily workhorse. No problems at all. I guess tuned engines can't use ron95 probably need higher octane levels for optimum power. RM90 for 400km.

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Has the price gone up again? I'm like barely a bi-weekend warrior atm :burnout:

flabby

Known Member
May 8, 2009
yeah by 20cents for 97 pimpin. i wonder if they will decrease the price when (if) the price per barrel decreases.

HBS

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
I think all modern car got knock sensor to prevent knocking?
So any other fuel grade like RON 95 should be no problem then.

Dont know how you guy think,but as I was a biker & just use my car as weekend drive,my high revving ZXR250C still need RON 98 as recommended on manual(just as many normal sportsbike requirement this day) but I use mostly 95 for weekly ride(but rarely doing it now) & only 97 for carbon cleaning & track duty(because that small I4 rev to 18-19k )
So far so good...no problem at all(My NSX is EU spec so it stated the minimum is RON 95....so abit lucky to have a weekend ride that able to use RON95 from factory setting)

So how about detuned the ECU?You lost some horses but you gained liability & extra money
to save.
Thinking the same for my RX8 & Z if the price of RON97 going around RM3.5+...:embarassed:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
hbs..your nsx can run on RON95??or stock requirement need higher???

ermmmwhy many didn't want to use Octane booster?????well....the top range OB available around was Nitrous Express,STP octane booster and Super 104+ Octane booster...these 3 got plenty shop selling it.... :adore:

(*surely i also have to keep stock for future need) :biggrin:

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007

ermmmwhy many didn't want to use Octane booster?????well....the top range OB available around was Nitrous Express,STP octane booster and Super 104+ Octane booster...these 3 got plenty shop selling it.... :adore:

errr...i think i saw an episode on fifth gear...the lady driver lab test these after market so called OB...all of them sap the power out of the engine...from 5 - 10 %... :burnout:

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
yeah by 20cents for 97 pimpin. i wonder if they will decrease the price when (if) the price per barrel decreases.
Thanks for that. I've since stopped worrying about the price of filling-up since I hardly drive the GTR. All other times its 95 and diesel for me. :proud:

I'm not sold on the idea of using octane boosters though. Since most of us run aftermarket ECUs, wouldn't it make more sense for the daily drivers to just drain their tanks completely and fill them up with 95 and then retune the car? Compromise with a more conservative map, less boost but safer?

HBS

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009

The manual in my car stated that the car has designed to its optimum performances using Research Octane 95 or higher.

The side note also write that any lower than that also possible but the ECU will automatically readjust the engine capability to use the lower RON.So no harm effect except loss power laa kot....

grayfox

Sep 5, 2010
Kedah
im using my gt r33 rb25det stock, daily driver..so far using ron97 rm120++ for 300km. Now the price still spiking, maybe arnd rm150 for full tank..tried to use ron95, the engine still ok but less power, especially when going uphill..summore got like knocking sound from inside..:banghead::toilet:

gobiz2

Known Member
Nov 11, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I already faced this harsh reality a long time ago.

If you work a 9-5 job, and work in KL, it's just not worth driving a skyline everyday. The KL traffic, the jams and now the fuel price makes it pointless driving a high-powered car since you can hardly reach 90-100kmh. You are usually just crawling. So burning all that expensive RON97 fuel for nothing.

Even Saturdays have got heavy traffic nowadays.

bangkai_jk

1,500 RPM
Sep 4, 2005
m
i was using ron 91 on the street and v power for some track days back then at aussie for 3 years without any problem :D

fokyerdoder84

Known Member
Feb 4, 2008
johor
no prob?hows the pickup of the car?im sure it will be less...if its okay to know what kind of engine r u using now?:adore:
i dont feel any difference with the performance thou...need to dyno run n will see the comparison on the chart..
im running internally stock standard rb25det engine with aftermarket turbo kit and some other performance parts..

i was terribly surprised last weekend when i saw the price tag for the 97=2.70....so far im happy with 95..