New Tires : Front or Rear

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
It will ALWAYS be cheaper to change 2 at a time rather than all 4. Cause.. you're paying for 2 rather than 4.

But, if you rotate, good and even tyre wear, all 4 tyres will be in good condition, and can last longer. I used my PS3 for ~50k km. That's with rotation. I rotate every ~15k km give or take.
"cost effective" la.. I didn't say cheaper. If rotating can last longer and really properly utilize the tyre then that's cost effective enough for me.

Question : Would you rotate a directional pattern tyre even if it means mounting it reverse?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
"cost effective" la.. I didn't say cheaper. If rotating can last longer and really properly utilize the tyre then that's cost effective enough for me.

Question : Would you rotate a directional pattern tyre even if it means mounting it reverse?
I so far only rotated once in 2 years if i recall correctly. or max twice. After Vr2 advice not necessary to rotate if all 4 tyres threadwear wears off quite evenly which surprisingly my kelisa tyres wears off the same for front 2 and rear.

Tyres lasted longer than expected despite some hard cornering from me once awhile. :biggrin:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

You did say cheaper, then you said cost effective :biggrin:

Front to back, back to front, will mount reverse meh? Only if you do a cross rotating that occurs right. Then got to remove tyre and re-mount.

By right should have even wear on the tyre if everything is normal, for a street car.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Actually I do understand why people don't rotate. My father says it's cheaper to change 2 at a time rather than all 4.

Now when I think about it, is it more cost effective to change 2 at a time or rotate which possibly makes the tyres last longer?
Actually got rotate but one time only, when fit new to the rear you rotate the rear to the front mah!..haha

Cost effective or not, both have pros and cons. Most rotate because front wear shoulder and rear wear center. As I told bro. SF if front and rear wear is good why pay for rotation. Most shop charge even to rotate, then if balancing out, you need to balance and quite many I know do alignment also. Like most say last 50k km, means at least rotate 4 times. 2 tyre change you already save 4 times rotation and balancing RM.

Cost of changing tyre is not cheaper, but paying extra like rotation cost more. Change two at a time is cheaper but got to pay twice so is the same cost.

Did mention many times already the pros and cons.
It is more to the safety aspect for me.
4 tyre change you rotate until all 4 tyres bald. Period when 4 tyres bald, is danger period. If change 2 at a time, at any time you will still have two tyres with thread pattern....:driver:

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

If both sides wear inside, or both side wear outside, like bro. ixeo mention, remove tyre, re-mount them, then cross left to right, so the direction still points forward...:biggrin:

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
all this years i never experience or do TIRES rotation at all......only did what every 2nd time of changing the FRONT, i will change rear ONCE....

till recent, 1st time experience authorised service center swap left to right for me to fix 'lari left allignment' but then still cannot, then only he do swap from front to rear....

i think i wanna do this again ;)

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006

there's multiple method for rotating...
front to back, cross, left right...

non directional rotate cross..
directional pattern tyre only rotate front to back..
or cross if take out tyre from rim..
staggered tyre rotate left and right only..
staggered directional need to take out tyre from rim and rotate left right only.

You did say cheaper, then you said cost effective :biggrin:

Front to back, back to front, will mount reverse meh? Only if you do a cross rotating that occurs right. Then got to remove tyre and re-mount.

By right should have even wear on the tyre if everything is normal, for a street car.
it will not..by saying street car i imagine front tyre front wheel drive vehicle..
front tyre doing the acceleration, most braking, turning and have more load..
it will wear off more...

unless....

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
Previously :

F = Kumho KU36 205/50/15
R = Neuton NT6000 195/55/15

Good corner entry, but waggy tail.

Now switched other way round. Massive understeer, tail steady. :biggrin:

Also, NT6000 in front noisy as hell.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Actually got rotate but one time only, when fit new to the rear you rotate the rear to the front mah!..haha

Cost effective or not, both have pros and cons. Most rotate because front wear shoulder and rear wear center. As I told bro. SF if front and rear wear is good why pay for rotation. Most shop charge even to rotate, then if balancing out, you need to balance and quite many I know do alignment also. Like most say last 50k km, means at least rotate 4 times. 2 tyre change you already save 4 times rotation and balancing RM.

Cost of changing tyre is not cheaper, but paying extra like rotation cost more. Change two at a time is cheaper but got to pay twice so is the same cost.

Did mention many times already the pros and cons.
It is more to the safety aspect for me.
4 tyre change you rotate until all 4 tyres bald. Period when 4 tyres bald, is danger period. If change 2 at a time, at any time you will still have two tyres with thread pattern....:driver:

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

If both sides wear inside, or both side wear outside, like bro. ixeo mention, remove tyre, re-mount them, then cross left to right, so the direction still points forward...:biggrin:
Check recently and in detail, realised front one thread left lesser than rear. Guess time to rotate.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Previously :

F = Kumho KU36 205/50/15
R = Neuton NT6000 195/55/15

Good corner entry, but waggy tail.

Now switched other way round. Massive understeer, tail steady. :biggrin:

Also, NT6000 in front noisy as hell.
Bro. Ken, Where you get the Neuton NT6000, never seen before?

Anyway, should use same size for both front and rear then don't have the problem. Some more different tyre brand and model also. KU36 is extreme some more....:biggrin:

Last edited:

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
Bro. Ken, Where you get the Neuton NT6000, never seen before?

Anyway, should use same size for both front and rear then don't have the problem. Some more different tyre brand and model also. KU36 is extreme some more....:biggrin:
Am so sorry it's NT5000. Ahah let say ima on trial & error mode.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Ok guys.. just helping my fren here.. he lost his avanza last week in front of his house in USJ.. its a brand new car which he just got like 1-2 week only.. blue colour with the plate no BJF 4493.. if seen please report police.. thanks.. hope u guys can help cause he is going to get married next week.. really pity him..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience