new plug cable or coil on plug conversion??

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
currently in a decision making on either buying new blue ultra plug cable from japan online which cost inside rm700 or buy the local duratech coil on plug conversion kit for my 4g63 since the current red old ultra plug cable i believe quite old already dunno how may years from previous owner and till my hand for 2 years... :hmmmm:

any sifu can give comment on the coil on plug conversion kit? because it is same on the net that some people say good some people say bad.. i know that coil on plug provide direct strong ignition without cable transmition that aid in increase response and power.. but i need to know the reliability of the local duratech or other brands coil on plug kit.. if it is a hassle free bang for bucks, i will go for it.. but if it really race use only which mean will not last long as the ori cable and easy spoil.. might as well as just buy new cable...:adore::adore::hmmmm:

any sifu can comment? need solve this first before other upgrades:adore:

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

and here are 2 links i gt from mudah.my for examples of local cop conversion kit..

Rulez Mitsubishi Coil On Plug Package - Car Accessories & Parts for sale in Balik Pulau, Penang

Duratech 4G63 300m Coil on plug kit 4G93 GTI GSR - Car Accessories & Parts for sale in Bandar Sunway, Selangor

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
Anybody help??:hmmmm:

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
Probably no one here use before. Mine all old cars so using cables still....:driver:
the outside forumer from US or Aus.. the use the same design which use the stock wastespark system but convert to coil on plug with stock ignitor or TR unit... some said better mileage and idling but no different in performance.. some say it will draw more voltage from the TR unit might cause extra load to it and cause it might have earlier failure (but i think it is less possible since those honda convert cop not having stock ignitor issue also) ...

they simplify that

cop without aftermarket cdi box or ignition control module = same as stock power = tidy engine bay without plug cable and twin tower coils = less parts to fail (no plug cable and no twin coils, just 4 cop, distributor and a TR unit)

stock system = enough spark power to support = more parts to fail = no blink blink effect:banghead::banghead:

really confused should i do it or not:confused::confused::banghead:

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
only thing now is scare of reliability:confused:

Yea.. modding spirit.. go ahead and try.. if good then ask u to change also:listen:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I personally think you should do it, but do it with the control module. Otherwise you're not providing the proper voltage to the COP which kinda defeats the purpose of the mod. Have you considered power harness relay kits or whatever you call them like the ones from TMWorks?

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I personally think you should do it, but do it with the control module. Otherwise you're not providing the proper voltage to the COP which kinda defeats the purpose of the mod. Have you considered power harness relay kits or whatever you call them like the ones from TMWorks?

Since there is a mention on the TMworks power harness kit, Im curious as to what exactly does it do? And does it increase performance? Any sifu care to enlighten??:biggrin::biggrin:

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
The tmworks hardness is to provide stabilized voltage or reduce voltage lost and atable it during the charge and discharge cycle of the coil... but i know it does have for those car oem with cop.... not sure capable with modified cop conversion

The real cdi or control unit for the coil are not cheap.. if full set with cop kit is costing an atomic bomb.... but i do saw avantech simply run the cop kit with out any control module or cdi unit... even hondata cop convertion without a cdi or control module.... aem also gt cop convertion for honda.. but boost above 15psi they recommend to add cdi unit

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Since there is a mention on the TMworks power harness kit, Im curious as to what exactly does it do? And does it increase performance? Any sifu care to enlighten??:biggrin::biggrin:
The COP steps up the voltage from 12v to 20,000v or something like that. I'm not sure about the voltage amount on the spark plugs. If you understand how a relay kit works then it's just basically there to stabilize or reduce loss of voltage so you get more efficiency sparking.

The tmworks hardness is to provide stabilized voltage or reduce voltage lost and atable it during the charge and discharge cycle of the coil... but i know it does have for those car oem with cop.... not sure capable with modified cop conversion
Well put!

The real cdi or control unit for the coil are not cheap.. if full set with cop kit is costing an atomic bomb.... but i do saw avantech simply run the cop kit with out any control module or cdi unit... even hondata cop convertion without a cdi or control module.... aem also gt cop convertion for honda.. but boost above 15psi they recommend to add cdi unit
The thing is you're not fully utilizing the COP power without the control unit. But I guess there's no problem using the COP without the unit. However I'd be wary about inconsistent sparks with that kind of conversion. Your supply has to be pretty damn stable!

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
The COP steps up the voltage from 12v to 20,000v or something like that. I'm not sure about the voltage amount on the spark plugs. If you understand how a relay kit works then it's just basically there to stabilize or reduce loss of voltage so you get more efficiency sparking.

Well put!

The thing is you're not fully utilizing the COP power without the control unit. But I guess there's no problem using the COP without the unit. However I'd be wary about inconsistent sparks with that kind of conversion. Your supply has to be pretty damn stable!
:confused: hurm... mean at least need the tmwork hardness to stabilized voltage supply??:confused::banghead:

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

And also.. current system is twin tower coil.. mean that... coil 1 supply voltage to cylinder 1-4.. coil 2 for 2-3... firing order is 1-3-4-2.... mean the system already charge 2 coil each time 1-3 and 4-2 cylinder during spark firing rite?mean that for example...after 1-3 fired,the coil immidiately need charge up again for 4-2....so is it better or more effective if we split it to 4 coils by doing cop conversion while each coil only charge one time during the spark firing and gt time to "rest"??

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
:confused: hurm... mean at least need the tmwork hardness to stabilized voltage supply??:confused::banghead:

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

And also.. current system is twin tower coil.. mean that... coil 1 supply voltage to cylinder 1-4.. coil 2 for 2-3... firing order is 1-3-4-2.... mean the system already charge 2 coil each time 1-3 and 4-2 cylinder during spark firing rite?mean that for example...after 1-3 fired,the coil immidiately need charge up again for 4-2....so is it better or more effective if we split it to 4 coils by doing cop conversion while each coil only charge one time during the spark firing and gt time to "rest"??
No no no, without the Tmworks power harness the COP will still work, but perhaps instead of full power you get some loss here or there or wherever. And there are other products out there that do the same thing from MSD and all. TMWorks is just one brand only.

And twin coil is great man, but the loss isn't from the coil, it's from the cables. Unless you use high efficiency cables like those from Best I-Cable" your loss will be from the cabls. But even so it doesn't mean you've got massive loss from there either la. You might do better spending on other things. *shrugs*

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
But does it really matter to have more current and more spark than required at the spark plugs. There are plugs manufacturer, cable manufacturer always pushing say their product is this and that. Many reviews have proven them otherwise. Some have gains but too little against it's cost.
Why I mentioned was, years ago my mechanic's brother who is an engineer diy a cdi pack. Made it develop high spark and fitted to his car. Test drive and after about 2 km the car died. Remove the plugs and it has melted.....:smokin:

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
Hurm... thats make me rethink again shouls i convert cop

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i've seen plenty of monster cars in ipoh..i myself is from ipoh but i never heard of any place to dyno in ipoh. any sifu here knows?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience