New GreenBie....Confused Needs Help

satria81

500 RPM
Sep 19, 2005
PETALING JAYA
Dear All,

As per topic,im a newbie in the car modding section.Im totally confused on the proton 1.8 DOHC engine series as in to the performance.Ive spoken to a few ppl(including mechanics) n they all claim that the 1997 manufactured ones are more powerful,no matter putra or wira c99 than the others....but when i look at it at a glance it all seems to look n have the same items....all in all im comparin the wira1.8,putra and the Gti.....all same looking engine bay...so whats the diff when furthermore proton claims that all these models are around 140bhp.But why is it people keep rubbing into my brains that these 3 types have diff performance level.....im truly n really hoping here that i can get an explaination from all willing to help someone like me in deep confusion,im askin here cos all these bunch of ppl so far ive spoken to just keep mentioning and repeating that the 97'model is powerpacked but none of them has or even tried to explain on why it is higher in power compared to the other 4g93p models as in technically .....PLEASE and THANKS For helping. GONG XI FA CAI n happy holidays to all others!!!......

Last edited:

Gti

1,000 RPM
Sep 5, 2004
Visit site
the first batch of those car haf diff ecu code(and damn...i just lost my 1st batch ecu in the store :cry_smile: )
the later batch...though they r still mmc ecu...but they have diff code
and worse still later siemens took over...and that's it....the first batch like they say...was history...or rather...legend.........................................................................................................................................:shcokedcamo:

xerofighter

Not so senior member
Mar 2, 2004
Subang
from what i understand is, all of them comes wit the same hp. its just that the older mmc ecu's will respond better wit modifications. whereas the newer ones will not be able to gain much power from mods. im probably wrong on this.

Scorceror

Known Member
Jul 12, 2004
From what I can gather based on my limited experience, the 97 models (putra, wira 1.8 and staria's) were fitted with the MMC ecu (the computer box located in your car). This particular ecu could be tweaked in almost every aspect, ignition timing, idle timing, fuel mappings etc. The post 97 model up until 99 or early 2000 were also fitted with the MMC ecu, but the tweaking of the ECU was limited. From mid 2000 onwards, proton replaced the MMC ecu with the Siemens ones. The only benefit from this move was that the moving parts found inside the TB (throttle body) did not break easily as opposed to the MMC ones.

As you may know for example, if you can alter the fuel mapping of a car (adjust the ecu) you can expect more HP due to higher air/fuel mixture. The 97 proton's ECU allowed you to modify and tune the car to perform better.

That is probably the only reason for most people saying that the 97 models were a lot better.

There may be other factors, but I'm rather unsure about this. The only thing I know for sure is the use of different ECU's (computer box or electronic brain). Hope this helps you. I'm open for corrections if I've supplied the wrong information.

Scorceror

Known Member
Jul 12, 2004
yeah fluffy, from what I can gather, you could tweak, tune and fine tune the 1997 ECU. All you needed was someone capable of doing a good job. Otherwise the chances of screwing up was very high.

For the post 2001 models, I belive there are ways to cheat the ECU via AFC, piggybacks etc, but I'm unsure about the performance gains as well as the pro's and con's. One thing for sure, these stuff are not cheap.

Last edited:

satria81

500 RPM
Sep 19, 2005
PETALING JAYA
Thanking U So Much!

I'd like to thank 6 of these kind zth-ian for helping me clear my doubts n confusion.....nothing's 100% but i at least got 88% of my doubts cleared....namely would like to thank as below:-

1)alvinpck
2)Gti
3)xerofighter
4)Excalibur
5)Fluffy
6)Scorceror

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

There are 3 types of LSD....

- 1 way
- 1.5 way
- 2 way

Currently Im using 1 way LSD only, launching the car from stand still is perfect. No more wheel spin no matter how much I floor the pedal. But 2nd gears tends to wheel spin a little (too much tork on a 2.2 engine). Overall cornering is superb can feel the grip of the tyres very well. While sliding the car, counter steering seems more responsive and easier to correct the slide.

:)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience