Need some advise on the engine oil

racing temptation

Feb 13, 2006
In a hot climate like ous the best engine oil recommended by drivers like Karamjit

Singh is a 15/50 semi or mineral engine oil for any car - semi..Motul 15/50 4100,

mineral -Toyota motor oil 15/50 and u wont go wrong. How can u argue with a

world class rally driver who deals with high revving...so try it and save ur engine.

gearbox oil- nothing but the best...Red Line or motul.

try it and ull feel the difference.

for rotary engines- Castrol RS 10/60.

Happy accelerating brothers and sisters.

zero2hundred

1,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
earth
im using hks 10w-40 ....dunno why tappet sound increased than b4....but previously using AMOIL thicker treament forgot the grade d,not so obvious tat time..izzit my engine not suitable with thinner grade lidat ?

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
bro,i don't like to be the 1 to blame hks as i love their product.since u mention
that the hks oil is 10w-40,i assume that the oil u bought is semi syn.try n look
at the API grade on the oil.it's SJ grade bro.it's an old grade oil.this grade
is not suitable for modern engine already.if i'm not mistaken,this grade was
first introduce back in the late 90's.maybe cos of profit or what ever,they
bring in this oil n sell to us.since it's hks,ppl who use it start bragging about
how good this oil is but in fact,it's an old grade oil.hks don't produce this
oil long time ago.i don't know where they got the stock from but i think
it's an old stock.just my 2 cent.

MitonCT26

1,000 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Seremban
4G63 has been around for at least 18 years and still going up to evo 8... it's old technology la for sure hehe...

as for my old beat-up-slow-and-noisy junk i've been running Castrol RS 10w-60 since it's rebuilt till now. my personal opinion is that mitsubishi hydraulic lifters are quite picky on what oil you feed them. Tried some other oils but most of the time the lifters will make noise somewhere around 2500kms of usage even for fully synthetic. new ones cost about 160 each if i'm not mistaken so times 16 pieces...you do the math. if you feed all types of oil and it makes noise even from the first 100kms...it's imperative that you should replace it...

on one hand if you're on a tight budget it's a good reminder wat...once noisy change engine oil...hahahaha...

10w-30 is abit too thin in my opinion even if you just rebuild your engine. plus the fact that it's a turbo engine means the positive pressure from our combustion chamber will evaporate most of it... er... correct me if i'm wrong...my tech very china mali bawah pokok one.. hehehe

MitonCT26

1,000 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Seremban
lifters, tappets, bullets, whatever term it is...we are referring to the same thing actually.

tonytony

Known Member
Apr 11, 2004
tonytony update,
here's the story. from mineral 20/50 i switched to semi 10/40 Q8 for 1 oil change. very good for the 1st 3000km, then the tak tak tak tak tik tik tik sound came back. so, then i saw motul 10/40 semi 4100. wow, expensive...but what the heck, try lor. very good oil.......smooth like no tomorrow. no sound till the 3000km again. so decided since motul so nice, change another round. not good results. from 0km onwards.....all got sound.
headache already, ok, so i heard from fellow forummer Batousai tht the only oil that works for lash adjusters is Mobil 5/50 full syn. ok lor....bite the wallet 1 last time to try. WOW !!!! really very very very good........smooth, revvy, QUITE...no tapping at all !!!! not until the 5000km stage ler. made no mistakes about it, this oil is top of the range ...retailing about RM210 for 4L. very expensive stuff. downside is, after the 5000km range, my oil begun disappearing. somehow engine makan minyak ler...so sad.
now with syntium 15/50 full syn. not so good. tappet sound still there.....but what to do no money.
for those who wanna try mobil 1, go to zhapalang.com.my. that guy there selling mobil1 for i think RM180. still expensive, but cheaper than mobil stations ler. alternatively, i also heard that carrefour seling at RM140 for 4L.
those who are already on full syn, no harm trying mobil 1. sure no regrets for you and your tappets.

tonytony

Known Member
Apr 11, 2004
btw, i do think that the cold start number in the beginning X/50 does playa role in the performance of the oil in our engines, even in our hot country. next i wanna try is a 5/40 grade ful syn. why ? coz i found that when i used a /40 semi grade last time the tappets were alot better for awhile. 5/x grade is better than 15/x grades actually. the reason ??? tappets need the extra oompph during cold temp conditions.
u notice that an oil range of 5/50 is way more expensive than 15/50. the reason is because the 5/50 range can withstand a wider temperature diff than the 15/50. and thus, the quality must be better.

tonytony

Known Member
Apr 11, 2004
bro Miton,

i haven't tried the X/60 range oils before. is it ok so far ? coz it looks like its too heavy oil for the tappets ???

MitonCT26

1,000 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Seremban
Tony ;

very spot on comments about your experience.

I have been using this since my engine rebuilt a year ago and 15,000kms later, have no regrets. maybe it's because the nature of my driving style or maybe because of the engine configuration, the engine oil runs sweetly with the engine oil. as sometimes i travel extensively all around malaysia, i only change engine oil every 8,000kms. hehehe... serious! just that every 4,000kms i change the oil filter and top up with the same engine oil.

too thick? i do not think so as it would only tap once a while, but maybe it's the cams...

tonytony

Known Member
Apr 11, 2004
bro Miton,

good to hear that uve found a good oil for your ride.

anybodi else have got good experience with Q8 full syn ???

tonytony

Known Member
Apr 11, 2004
some updates for all bros...
from petronas syntium 15-50 full syn, i've now changed to Bardahl 5-40 full syn. only 1st day using the oil but what i can say now is, very good :). tappets are 80% better and best of all its so cheap @ RM75/4L !
got it from Zenden from Zhapalang.com

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi

I have a 2005 model Waja and recently the boot cannot be open with the key. I need to use the cable to unlock the boot from inside the car.

Can some one advise me how can I take out the lock for service if it is possible ? How much will it cost to change the lock if it is not repairable ?

Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience