Need opinion: Trade caldina GT4 for Fd2r @ Golf Gti

drexxza

Known Member
Dec 10, 2004
Pahang
Visit site
I used to own a normal FD2 before.. got sick being smoked by others.. :banghead: thats why i opted FD2R..

Actually my wife told me that the suspension is not that horrible as stated by many.. & the sound coming from the exhaust is not that loud if u remains as stock.. As for cars who "cucuk" me..... well.... it depends.... hehehe..

cajun..how do u manage to convince ur wife from taking civic to another civic?!
me owning a FD2 currently and planning to upgrade to FdR..but my finance minister query me why should i go for same brand?! she does not know well about cars..for her civic is always a civic...and for me...huhuhuhu..now eying for STi or evo maybe.. what to do...:biggrin:

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
i find that not everyone favour the FD2R... the ride and the cushions seems a lilltle too hard for most normal non enthusiastic car fanatic type people... but continentals.. u can expect comfort 1st..

but for honda.. i still find the S2k the best in terms of performance

seeing video n driving is not the same...s2k characteristic i meant for sum1 who has good driving skill 2 bring out the potential of s2k...and from the title itself...u can c the poster is mentioning 4 door sport car

the thing about civic type r is there's too many type r wannabe out there...a lot cant c the different of converted 1 or original 1...wat more perempuan lagi tak tau...
last time my wife saw a type r civic which i was drooling for it....then she say...'wah...quite nice hor tat civic spray white n modify like tat' :rolleyes:

har1th7

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
waaa... s2k... cannot maah... later baby where to put...RWD sumore...

but yeah, type r is famous for the high revving and the handling characteristic... and not build for comfort... that y the madam choose gti...

first thinking of getting a normal fr and later convert to fd2r... but later think... WTF...
people buy the fd2r for the whole package (engine+suspension+handling) and not for the look only...
so, convert is out of the view...

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

me owning a FD2 currently and planning to upgrade to FdR..but my finance minister query me why should i go for same brand?! she does not know well about cars..for her civic is always a civic...and for me...huhuhuhu..now eying for STi or evo maybe.. what to do...:biggrin:
first, take her for a test drive... then she know...
but, between evo & sti... better sti.. get ver 8 @ 9....
*my wife used to say that evo dash look like waja dash,...

drexxza

Known Member
Dec 10, 2004
Pahang
Visit site
harith curently no FDr for test drive lah..hehehehe..
sti emmm...
im not dare enough lah to use it here especially at east coast..

cajun

Known Member
Dec 2, 2008
Buy her another car that she wants!! :biggrin:

LuKa

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2005
Kedah
seeing video n driving is not the same...s2k characteristic i meant for sum1 who has good driving skill 2 bring out the potential of s2k...and from the title itself...u can c the poster is mentioning 4 door sport car

the thing about civic type r is there's too many type r wannabe out there...a lot cant c the different of converted 1 or original 1...wat more perempuan lagi tak tau...
last time my wife saw a type r civic which i was drooling for it....then she say...'wah...quite nice hor tat civic spray white n modify like tat' :rolleyes:
ive never said about seeing video.. i just said for honda makes.. id prefer the S2K...although on stock the S2K would be inferior in its resume compare to the FD2R.. but its a nice FR coupe made by honda with lots of potential..

to me... id prefer to have more than 1 car.. i cannot live having 1 car to do all the needs that i want... so.. the work horse should be a sedan or sumething i can ferry people around with comfort n economy.. and my week end or night ride would be something i can play without the finance minister or anyone in da family to make noise about.. but some ppl think its a waste owning 2 cars when u can pull the resources for both cars own for a better super car.. thats why i dont mind a 2 door vehicle..

also.. i do experience similar like ur wife told.. it was when a evo7 just pass by.. i told my dad.. "thats a nice car!!":wink: but his impression was.. "whats so nice about it..?? it look like another normal sedan..":hmmmm: that was a big slap for me....

Last edited:

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
Drove Golf GTI, Caldina GT4 and sat F2D-R be4, anytime i would go for Golf

-Nick-

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
hi guys... sorry for the late reply & thanks for all the reply...
first, between caldina, forester, airtrek (all wagon)... caldina (GT4) is a beauty , but can resist the boxer from forester (with manual)... airtrek is not a pretty car ... performance wise, all have 4wd (awd) , all are 2.0 with turbo...

do i feel old... yes...
how old i am... late 20s...

mid life crisis... maybe, but that happen when i sold of my ek... now its of more of ichy hand syndrome (hahaha) ...

from reviews.. fd2r can be a little hard on ride & handling (which is not good for the wife & baby) ... gti is more of comfort than performance... i can say a fd2r is 80% performance + 20% comfort , while the gti is 55% performance + 45%comfort... mind you the gti is 4wd...
Uhm the gti isn't 4wd unless you are talking about the R32. Both the gti and the Fd2r is FWD. I drive a gti and i have quite a number of friends driving fd2r. In terms of practicality yes i would say the gti wins reason being an auto(dsg) due to the traffic nowadays in KL/PJ and its a much more comfortable ride as compared to the Fd2r. The interior is actually quite spacious and "solid" obviously its a conti after all but then again the Fd2r isn't that bad either. Yes the suspension is harder but it is tolerable for a daily ride not as bad as some people think it is. Of course for a long distance journey Golf GTI will win in terms of comfortable wise.

Performance wise the Fd2r wins hands down IF the speed cut is removed. I have tried dragging with a few fd2r before, stock - stock both cars can still play based on quarter mile but when the speed cut is removed the Fd2r will show its true potential 200 km/h and above when the VTEC kicks in yo! There was this 1 time i was convoying with the fd2r group and i was already on full throttle going about 24x, 2 of the fd2r from the group overtook me and started pulling away from me. Mind you both the cars had minor mods with speed cut removed, intake and exhaust done only and i had my cat-back changed and carbon boot.

Handling wise i would say the Fd2r wins hands down again obviously it is well known to be one of the kings on the track. GTI is more on the comfortable side and again it isn't that bad either just that it will lose to the fd2r for sure but of course the driver plays a big role as well.

Parts for the GTI isn't that hard to find and there are at least 3-4 dealers that brings in quite a number of GTI parts, be it exterior, performance or ICE etc etc. If your a hardcore modder, just to remind you the GTI is a continental hence the prices are on the high side, i'm not too sure about the prices for Fd2r accessories but i don't think it will be cheap either. Just to give you a rough idea on the prices for the gti, original body kits cost easily 8k - 15k and replicas can be found in Singapore for about 3k-ish and above. Remap for stage 1 is around 4k which is known for the "most worth it mod" in terms of performance.

The re-sale value for both the cars is almost on par now i would say for the next 2-3 years maybe? Untill they officially stop production for the fd2r or they already did i'm not sure. I have seen a few fd2r a year old or so selling for 16x - 17x? Golf gti 07,08 also sells for around that price just that its more common compared to the fd2r. Btw if you are planning to get the new golf gti mark 6 its slightly above 200k, 23x if i am not mistaken and the review i gave was based on a golf gti mark 5.

My vote will go to the gti especially if you are expecting a baby soon. The reason why i bought the gti initially was because I couldn't get the car i wanted which is a JDM so i got the 2nd car on my list. But i have no regrets so far and i hope it can last me for another year at least before i get itchy-fied like you :D My advise is try to find both cars and try to drive it around and see which car suits you more. Although there's another + point for the fd2r, its actually limited in a way so you tend to see more GTI on the road compared to the fd2r.

SnooPDoGGY

1,500 RPM
Mar 23, 2005
TwoForties
Visit site
Yes... very well written Bro Nick...

no need for me to elaborate more...

Just wanna tell u why I bought the FD2R:

1. maintenance just like B-series... (coz i've never own a VW b4) (but all my other contis have given me headache)

2. FD2R boot can fit my Golf bag... (Golf GTI... I have to take out my driver and wood 3)

Thats it... other was well explained by Bro Nick...

BTW suprisingly with a lot of loads (4 passenger or even 5 and boot full w luggage) the FD2R seems to be a bit comfort than usual... it suprised me too... and furthermore... a fren of mine just change the suspension of his FD2R... damn it is sweet n comfy... plus it handles better in SIC... Now Im itchy edi... miahahahahahahhahahaha...

p/s: Bro nick... yeah.. i remember that group run... was fun tho... dont forget the cyberjaya rendezvous... if im not mistaken u r the Nick I know la kan kan kan...

peace...

miahahahahahahahahahha...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

1) Which adjustable suspension( HWL, TITAN Racing or Comfort) is better for handling and comfort? Currently im using GAB which is quite hard..or is there any suggestion of suspension which is better than the above?
thanks...

2) My car is idling at very low rpm roughly around 500-600 rpm sometimes even lower than that. Some of the Zth's member told me it could be the leaking so i have change to stainless steel i/c and new i/c as well but still idling? what could be the coz?

3) What shall...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience