Need Help With Lsd Gearbox

eg595

Nov 1, 2006
Hi to All Honda CFU Out There !

I need your advise and opinion . Recently I have a problem with my gearbox. I'm driving eg5 with a stock b16a manual installed from an eg9 halfcut. Few months back , I installed an eg6 LSD gearbox to replace my existing gearbox that came with the halfcut due to its leaking . So i thought since i got quite a good deal at that time I changed my non lsd g/box to the eg6 lsd g/box.

My problems occurs few days back when going up the ramp from my basement car park . I heard a sound like something breaking (like a twig snapping - tak )when going up the ramp ( this is in 1st gear ) and then after that my car seems to lose power as if the clutch is slipping .After that it felt like there's no contact between the flywheel and the clutch. Although my rpm went to 4+ even 5 , the car is still moving slowly even on flat road ( like 20km/h )

I brought my car to my usual mech and at first they thought its the clutch plate and the bearing at the main shaft . After I had this replaced , the condition of my car is still the same. So they suspect the LSD is the culpirt to this situation. I also noticed when they jack up the car, both of the front wheel was not spinning. Only the left hand side , not like previously.

My question is , if the LSD is really spoiled , can it be serviced or do I need to have it replaced. I saw the g/box being opened and saw the LSD is attached to the final drive with bolts and a bearing . Can only the LSD be replaced or does it need to be purchased together with the final drive. I need to know what are my options ?

All CFU out there , please help......

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Hi to All Honda CFU Out There !

I need your advise and opinion . Recently I have a problem with my gearbox. I'm driving eg5 with a stock b16a manual installed from an eg9 halfcut. Few months back , I installed an eg6 LSD gearbox to replace my existing gearbox that came with the halfcut due to its leaking . So i thought since i got quite a good deal at that time I changed my non lsd g/box to the eg6 lsd g/box.

My problems occurs few days back when going up the ramp from my basement car park . I heard a sound like something breaking (like a twig snapping - tak )when going up the ramp ( this is in 1st gear ) and then after that my car seems to lose power as if the clutch is slipping .After that it felt like there's no contact between the flywheel and the clutch. Although my rpm went to 4+ even 5 , the car is still moving slowly even on flat road ( like 20km/h )

I brought my car to my usual mech and at first they thought its the clutch plate and the bearing at the main shaft . After I had this replaced , the condition of my car is still the same. So they suspect the LSD is the culpirt to this situation. I also noticed when they jack up the car, both of the front wheel was not spinning. Only the left hand side , not like previously.

My question is , if the LSD is really spoiled , can it be serviced or do I need to have it replaced. I saw the g/box being opened and saw the LSD is attached to the final drive with bolts and a bearing . Can only the LSD be replaced or does it need to be purchased together with the final drive. I need to know what are my options ?

All CFU out there , please help......
The stock helical LSD, I don't think it's serviceable.. if sounded like something snapped, probably the shafts that are holding the spider gears broke or possible something else inside the lsd.

Looks like the only choice is locating an new OEM LSD/aftermarket(aftermarket is VERY EXPENSIVE, if new), or if you're on a budget, the stock open diff unit should work fine.

Which reminds me that my friend keeps reminding me not to get used LSDs, since they're mostly chewed up inside.

Well.. 3-4K for an LSD unit is no small change.. so for me, sabar2 and kumpul duitle. (which I'm doing now.. he he)

Last edited:

Vagabond

1,500 RPM
Mar 1, 2007
from my own sad sad bad experience, it sounds like it could be oil leaking in the clutch. wrecks the plates. very sad.

eg595

Nov 1, 2006
Hmm ...thanks for the advise . I went around yesterday to look around but unfortunately most of the shops which I went to told me that its not possible to fit an aftermarket LSD to my final drive due to the holes that fits the LSD to the final drive. Mine one got 14 holes with size 10 bolts while the aftermarket one ( ATS or KAAZ ) got 10 holes . This caters more for the final drive from EK rather than EG.

One of the tuners shop in Jln Klng Lama told me its possible to fit an aftermarket LSD provided I change the final drive to an EK one . I'm not sure how true it is. Would this works ? Perhaps someone can comment ?

My car is stuck in the workshop for 2 days . Luckily for me I got another gearbox from one of the forumer in ZTH so my car is up and running again . But somehow I still have this phobia of the same thing happening again.

If the solution suggested by the tuners shop is workable , I might want to have the broken LSD replaced and perhaps change the final drive to 4.785 one :-) ...

Might sound a bit silly though but I was thinking of having a spare g/box in case of the same thing occuring again

evoX2

1,000 RPM
May 11, 2005
KCH
act those aftermarket LSD mostly fit in Y80, S80 GB final drive (either 4.4 or 4.7)
i think i saw someone selling eg lsd for around RM700++
if u want to change to 4.7 FD, u need to change 5 items as i was told.

eg595

Nov 1, 2006
yea ..why not .. mind giving me the contact no. and your location . maybe i can drop by to discuss what are my options with the additional g/box with the spoilt lsd. I only browse through zth marketplace most of the time and i did browse through most of the threads in the honda forums ( that was only when i first joined zth ) .

Before I changed my gearbox to the LSD one , the g/box that I had which came with the halfcut was not functioning properly. After I installed the whole engine , the reverse gear was not functioning.The mech. who did the engine transplant
sort out the problem. Then there's oil leaking from the main shaft oil seal so I got that one replaced also . It was fine for a few months, then it started leaking again. The leak was not so critical . it only occurs when the car is parked overnight , then you can see a trace of the oil leak about the size of 50 cent coin. The leak didn't drain the whole g/box oil though even after 20,000 km change interval. Its juts irritating me when each morning I took out my car from my garage to see that spot of oil on the floor.Tthe problems remained unsolved for the past 1 year.

When I managed to find someone who's going to sell the g/box that comes with the LSD , so I thought why not ? Its quite hard to even get a non lsd manual g/box . So I made the deal. The owner was upgrading to the 4.785 FD g.box . There was no trace of leak at the g/box.

Anyway maybe its just not my day.Right now I'm wandering whether can I do anything to repair the spoilt g/box that I have .:regular_smile:

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
lsds do have their lifetime limit around 50-60,000kms. if you think u want to have a strong lsd then get quaife. they are the only company i know so fat that gives lifetime warranty. kaaz, ats, spoon, and other japanese family do not give lifetime warranty and some of them has the service-kit with a "better" oil for your lsd. at the end of the day, they do break. choose the right lsd for your application either gear type, clutch type or viscous. so getting another 2nd hand lsd will increase the risk of spoiling one in the future, again.

eg595

Nov 1, 2006
Hmm..thanks for the advise bro. Quaife is a UK product , correct ? I'll look into that options . Guess with the price around GBP 500.00 for their product it should be worth as how its priced. Went and browse through their web site but I coudn't figure out which one would be suitable .....:eek:

evoX2

1,000 RPM
May 11, 2005
KCH
the price for after market LSD is really fuuyooh. Helical still better than clutch right? cos no need servicing but i read it will prone to break. anyone here use full lock lsd for daily drive?

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Hmm..thanks for the advise bro. Quaife is a UK product , correct ? I'll look into that options . Guess with the price around GBP 500.00 for their product it should be worth as how its priced. Went and browse through their web site but I coudn't figure out which one would be suitable .....:eek:
500 pounds is about 3.5-3.6K, sans taxes and shipping.. should be 4K plus after tax. The shipping cost is something else.

KAAZ is about 3.6-3.8K..in Malaysia while other brands are about quaife price range.

I personally like the OS giken clutch/helical combo LSD.. but they're a bit pricey..:Not_Impressed:

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
maybe you can tell them your requirements, rally?, autocross?, daily to work?, drag?...then hopefully they can recommend you the right lsd for your application.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Single pot on my car seems not adequate to my liking. It doesn't give a more than enough confident braking experience. So I decided to search for a more capable brake system.
First hunt, one workshop nearby quoted me RM750 for a front set Eterna TT twin pot, I was stunned. Hell, I felt like an idiot. He really didn't know we are living in the internet age. He claimed it was the cheapest in town some more. wth!
So I called up my friend. A week later he called back informing he had just...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience