Need help on B16A small v..

killgerms

Known Member
Dec 7, 2004
Visit site
Hi all.. I learn so many things from zth. Thanks.. Im a newbie, need advised and help from sifu here. Me drive an old car EF2 fully converted to EF9 spec with B16A small vtec where i bought this car few months ago. Here my problem.

1) Before this, with a full tank of fuel, i can drive my car about 8-10 days (around 350-400 km) in a normal driving condition. But a few days ago, my car start "drink" fuel where its only last until 300km. And i need to refuel back on day 6.. Im not a 'gila-gila' person on driving where i less rev the engine.. It's normal or not ? May i know, how far that this engine can go with a full tank of fuel?...

2) I got a gearbox problem, where my 3rd and 4th gear will "free" when i turn left or right during taking a junction. But nothing happen when i "tarik" the engine until 8k rpm on each gear (only a weird mechanical sound like "tak" during shifting from 2nd gear to 3rd gear - other's no problem). It is a gearbox problem or clucth plate? If it is a gearbox problem, i need to change the whole gearbox or need to change the 3rd and 4th gear only? Can i use big "V" gearbox on my car?

According to last owner of my car, he was modified the ecu by changed the chip (dont know what chip- maybe spoon or mugen), and remove all the rev cut and speed cut (my uncle "tarik" the car until 9k ++ rpm still no cut). And I think he also changed the big "V" throtel body. There is no modification i do since i take the car from the previous owner..

Im really new with the vtec engine, and need to learn from u all guys...acctually i got a lot of question in my head, but i will post it later...really need your help guys...thanks....

TODA6866

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
hi, im driving a 4dr EF with small v stock std.... no mods--- ori ecu

from ur description sounds like u hav some serious prob man.... sorry 2 say but im still learning n cant help u much on the gearbox thing

but one thing's for sure, i experience the high fuel consumption n loss of power b4, wat i did is send it to my mech to adjust the tappets -- it works wonder for me. I nvr pump full tank, jz rm 40 with ocassional WOT gives 270-350km

best is to send ur car to a trustworthy mech....let experts do the job

CHEERS!

syiokGILER

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
1st. prob .. seems like need tuning ..

2nd. prob .. sound from the g/b or from under carriage .. ??

killgerms

Known Member
Dec 7, 2004
Visit site
Thanks TODA6866 ... Maybe i need to adjust the tappet like you said..

syiokGILER .. dont know acctually, but I think the sound came out from the g/b..

poji_EG9

Known Member
Nov 5, 2004
Nilai/KLIA/SIC
Visit site
1) try tune yr engine first...maybe mixture problem...too rich....or maybe got 'timing lari ' after change timing belt....lost power & high fuel consumption....timing belt 'lari satu mata'...

2) try change gbox oil first...maybe need to change....yr gbox lsd or not...if lsd have different type of lubricant....if not solve maybe gbox failure...or just internal part need change....need to overhaul....pls refer to mechanic....

EF9 gbox is cable clutch type...not same as later model EG6/9 big V that using hydroulic...more expensive la....otherwise you can choose gbox from integra model DA8 big V that using cable clutch....or DA6 integra small V also using cable clutch.....

but the important thing gear ratio is different between small V and big V...small V ratio 4.2....big V ratio 4.4....bigger ratio will more pick-up....

DJmobile

500 RPM
Dec 13, 2003
an ecu with no revlimiter/ rev cut is quite dangerous, i would think so...
it could blow your engine

poji_EG9

Known Member
Nov 5, 2004
Nilai/KLIA/SIC
Visit site
Originally posted by DJmobile@Dec 8 2004, 21:42
an ecu with no revlimiter/ rev cut is quite dangerous, i would think so...
it could blow your engine
ya...I agree with you....rev cut is needed especially if our engine still with standard internal....if car have no rev limiter is ok for normal daily driving which we can control the rpm base on rpm meter or shift lamp.

the most dangerous is during drag race time....or at traffic light race with other car....very2 danger especially if miss-gear happen...at the same time we press full pedal gas...rpm will climb over 10k rpm....then kaboooommmmm....

pls becareful....... :lol:

poji_EG9

Known Member
Nov 5, 2004
Nilai/KLIA/SIC
Visit site
Originally posted by BudakBiru@Dec 9 2004, 10:04
Macam pernah kena jer ...hehehe...
heh..heh mmg pernah miss-gear during high speed last time at elite hiway....during 4th gear want to select 5th gear at 8000rpm @180+kmj.....suddenly 5th gear not enggage la....only stuck at Neutral...human error.....my rpm climb to 10k.....luckily my engine not kabooommm.....then just continue shift to 5th gear......bye2...

that time playing top speed with saga converted mirage 1.6 turbo plate NAF XXXX.....top speed mmg b16a punya...or maybe that mirage still have speed cut :lol:

question:

which one is more danger, over rev to 10k with gear enggage or at neutral gear..... over rev with gear is more danger right? any comment.....pls

BudakBiru

Known Member
Apr 5, 2004
Both danger .. But in Neutral is more danger coz the engine running without any "bebanan". That's why got few people "kaboom" their engine during dyno test.

poji, PM me ur hp no. Sudah hilang already coz buy a new phone and sim card.

Xenix

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Kuala Lumpur, P
honda_fans.tripod.com
for the gearing problem.. I think the syncro is gone.. and it is very dangerous as you mention it goes free during turns and things like that...

it might result a blown engine.

Big V gearbox is hydraulic where your small V is cable.. alot of stuff need to be change.. and reliable wise.. Ahem ahem.. Nothing better then original..

I heard people said after changing might got problem the hydraulic pump jam.. Maybe due to poor workmanship ma... So far never heard of anything like that in Amoil..

killgerms

Known Member
Dec 7, 2004
Visit site
Thanks guy..

My gearbox is non-lsd. Maybe my g/b synchro got a prob. Some mech say, i need to change the g/b to the new one (used- the price around RM750 including labour <-- izit worth it? ). But last nite, i talked with fren mech, he said, i only need to change the synchro, but he need to check the g/b 1st. one more thing, i heard about YS1 g/b, can it fit into my engine and what spec that make it so exp.? heard the price more than 1k++ for the g/b only..

I realized that my fuel consumption raised up after changed my timing belt. maybe 'lari satu mata' like poji said. How to check and verified the 'mata'?

wah..so dangerous haa if no rev cut...takut gak ni..need to find shift light la...kadang2 terover rev until 9k...me still not sure, what is inside the engine, but i heard previous owner do so many things inside...need to talk with him la...

btw, thanks for helping me...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello everyone! :itsme:

I am new in modifications and i am planning to modify my new 2010 T.vios. Can any of the Shop owners or anyone out there send me some nice design and location of your shop? I would love to pay a visit to your place to check out all the design you have, of course if possible i would prefer to see it(design) online first. Thank you very much in advance, :biggrin:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience