Need help improving SEG converted to blacktop

nommiey

From Facebook
Apr 12, 2011
www.facebook.com
I swapped my old AE101 engine system with blacktop 6spd.; However I feel my car is a bit slow pick up at lower gear. Is this normal? or is it something wrong with my car?

My pomen suggest to push the rpm to 4k before changing to higher gear. does the blacktop engine is supposed to be driven that way? I don't feel so nice with the high rpm sound.I feel like as if i press gas and rpm increase but car not having much acceleration.

I haven't done any other modifications yet. Is there something that i can do to improve this condition?

And I notice one thing when I push pedal too much to overtake, there will be metal grinding sound from the engine around 2.5-3.5k rmp. why is that happening? Is my engine in bad condition?

Attachments

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Bro ah...

That is the nature of blacktop engines ma... They are built to operate that way. They redline at 7.2k - 8k rpm. Means it favours high end power instead of low end torque and response. And the 6 speed, that is one of the most beautiful combo you can get. A blacktop with a 6 speed transmission. The 6 speed is geared carefully to fully make use of the blacktop high revving nature and powerband. It can tapau many 2.0 L engine cars.

That is the nature and behaviour of the engine. If you do not favour spirited driving, high revs, you shouldn't use a blacktop. If you are one who loves low end torque and response, I think the closet you can get is transplant a supercharged 4A-GZE.

tonyops

Known Member
Oct 28, 2010
Sarawak
As far as i know, blacktop has poor low end torque and response, it tends to jerk a bit sometimes. But in high rev, it's a BEAUTY!! The engine has high compression ratio, so it's strong when u rev it till 7-8k rpm.

If pick up is slow, maybe it's your exhaust system? Try not to go above 2.5 inch piping. Some ppl say 2 inch is better, but I'm using 2.5 inch, it's working perfectly, the engine breathes very well. In Japan, the exact diameter is 2.38 inch, if you can find the halfcut piping system and put it in your ride, that will be perfect.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
OH yeah... Agree with tonypos... Exhaust and intake pipe diameter cannot mess around also... did you change yours? exhaust 2.3-2.5" is good. Don't go to 2.8" at all. If you want better pick up, stick to the stock 2.3". If you want more top end power, use 2.5".

But generally, the way to use blacktop is to whip it and make it scream. That is when all the reserve power is unleashed. But of course, this is only done once i a while. Not for everyday driving... So if you feel that the power is inadequate for daily drive, just be patient and relax and remember this is a good old 1.6 L engine. If this is not your type, you really better consider swapping 4A-GZE. You might even sell off your 6 speed BT for more money than you buy the 4A-GZE.

plank

Known Member
Jun 10, 2009
IPOH- SETIAWAN
nommiey
my feeling same as your after swap to 4age 20v,, after 3 month drive 4ag change to open pod air filter ,, then install VVT light,,, then u will know exactly when the power comes,,,

about this = I feel like as if i press gas and rpm increase but car not having much acceleration. your clutch ok or not?

j_l200s

Dec 16, 2004
yeah, it's normal u can't really feel the engine 'want-to-go' when the rpm needle is below 3.5k. if u fully prees the accelerator during that range, u have to wait 1-2 seconds (choking feeling) for the rpm needle to go above 4k. that's when u feel real power up til the redline. sounds weird that a N/A engine got a bit lag... hahaha. 6 speed should be a bit better compared to the 5 speed though. consider yourself lucky using 6 speed.

nommiey

From Facebook
Apr 12, 2011
www.facebook.com
ohh.. ok :biggrin: now I understand. but 1 more thing to ask is that when I push alot of gas to overtake, there will be metal grinding sound from the engine around 2.5-3.5k rpm. why is that happening? Is that engine knocking sound? it sound kerekerekere or something like that. I might take an audio file to show u all later. I am a noob lady driver of this car hahaha.

K_C

500 RPM
Jul 26, 2005
p e n a n g
yeah, it's normal u can't really feel the engine 'want-to-go' when the rpm needle is below 3.5k. if u fully prees the accelerator during that range, u have to wait 1-2 seconds (choking feeling) for the rpm needle to go above 4k. that's when u feel real power up til the redline. sounds weird that a N/A engine got a bit lag... hahaha. 6 speed should be a bit better compared to the 5 speed though. consider yourself lucky using 6 speed.
pakai BT 6spd??? i nak try leh x???

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
ohh.. ok :biggrin: now I understand. but 1 more thing to ask is that when I push alot of gas to overtake, there will be metal grinding sound from the engine around 2.5-3.5k rpm. why is that happening? Is that engine knocking sound? it sound kerekerekere or something like that. I might take an audio file to show u all later. I am a noob lady driver of this car hahaha.
Why do I get a feeling that you are pulling our legs o.O? You said you are a noob lady driver??? But you drive 6 speed BT and you said you feel that it is gutless. Noob lady driver got so much hunger and feel for g-force? To my experience, noob lady drivers will feel scared and fast even if drive at 60 km/h. And you even know about knocking. And you even know that the grinding/cracking sound is knock sound. Yes knocking does sound like that. But there might be other factors as well causing that sound.

There's only 2 possibility here:
- you are kidding us. You are not a noob lady driver at all.
- you are born to be a legend. Because you feel that 4AGE is gutless just like Takumi Fujiwara did.

nommiey

From Facebook
Apr 12, 2011
www.facebook.com
Haha, I really am a lady driver. :) but I like cars but never had the opportunity to learn much about cars. Started driving with toyota LE when I was 18 and fell in love with toyota since then.
Thanks for the info.. so next step is upgrade the exhaust system right? since mine is the stock local AE101.

E6XLancer

Known Member
May 2, 2010
1 Malaysia
Why do I get a feeling that you are pulling our legs o.O? You said you are a noob lady driver??? But you drive 6 speed BT and you said you feel that it is gutless. Noob lady driver got so much hunger and feel for g-force? To my experience, noob lady drivers will feel scared and fast even if drive at 60 km/h. And you even know about knocking. And you even know that the grinding/cracking sound is knock sound. Yes knocking does sound like that. But there might be other factors as well causing that sound.

There's only 2 possibility here:
- you are kidding us. You are not a noob lady driver at all.
- you are born to be a legend. Because you feel that 4AGE is gutless just like Takumi Fujiwara did.
she really a noob lady in Zerotohundred...Please check outs other forum here...hahaha:biggrin:

tonyops

Known Member
Oct 28, 2010
Sarawak
Haha, I really am a lady driver. :) but I like cars but never had the opportunity to learn much about cars. Started driving with toyota LE when I was 18 and fell in love with toyota since then.
Thanks for the info.. so next step is upgrade the exhaust system right? since mine is the stock local AE101.
Depends on ur requirement. Stock exhaust system is 1.8inch if i'm not mistaken, u'll only suffocate ur blacktop. so make sure u change it to 2inch or 2.5 inch, depending on personal preference. some ppl say 2 inch better acceleration, but i'm on 2.5 inch, it also accelerates like mad.. can feel the G all d time when accelerating.. :hmmmm:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Depends on ur requirement. Stock exhaust system is 1.8inch if i'm not mistaken, u'll only suffocate ur blacktop. so make sure u change it to 2inch or 2.5 inch, depending on personal preference. some ppl say 2 inch better acceleration, but i'm on 2.5 inch, it also accelerates like mad.. can feel the G all d time when accelerating.. :hmmmm:
Agree... 2.3 - 2.5" depending on where you want your powerband to be. But since our friend here complain about the lack of low-end torque, I don't think changing to bigger diameter will solve the prob because then she will need to rev even more to get the power.

Why not, try changing it to straight flow muffler first... Leave the pipe intact...

j_l200s

Dec 16, 2004
pakai BT 6spd??? i nak try leh x???
wan to try faster try lor... wanna sell d.

nommiey,

few minor stuffs for u to eliminate the low rpm knocking sound. it's not harmful to knock at that range of RPM but i know it's annoying. sounds like 4G13P/4G15P. Just make sure it doesn't knock above 5k RPM then u are safe. the 4 throttles knockings are quite common.

Try changing to colder plugs. Possible that your combustion chambers are full of carbons; try using carbon cleaner or something like that. Use RON97. Check ignition timing see if it's too advanced. Ask doctor ecu, levin818, to check your ECU. Aged components might be the cause as well.
If neither of the above solves your prob, and u can't live with that knocking sound, get a piggyback or a standalone which would be your best bet to solve it.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The Specialty Equipment Market Association, or better known to us as SEMA, will be dawning upon us soon and Lexus will be crashing the party with six models filled to the brim with aftermarket pieces and a huge wing that could very well count for a car on its own...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience