1. Hello! We've made major changes to both the Forums and Marketplace section recently. Please join the discussion and tell us your feedback! Read Here for urgent matters, send an email to forums@zerotohundred.com | Update: User Like count is back | Current Progress: Adding improvments to The Marketplace
    Dismiss Notice

Need help for engine stalling evo3 engine!!

Discussion in 'Forced Induction & Engine Management' started by zero2hundred, May 18, 2017.

1. sweelt

sweelt Well-Known Member

TS, problem. Off throttle- engine low rpm, then stall.
    try press clutch, gear neutral. Don release. See idle rpm maintain ?

#21 sweelt, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  2. vr2turbo

vr2turbo Moderator
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Don't brake you mean, right?

3. sweelt

sweelt Well-Known Member

ya, off throttle, press clutch. Don brake yet. On empty road lah.
    Anyway, TS no response yet. Hopefully he found the culprit.

4. vr2turbo

vr2turbo Moderator
    Helmet Clan Moderator

But normal when coming to stop, need to brake. But I remember when braking the idling is affected but minimal. Even switching on headlights draws current and idling drops slightly.....:smokin:

5. zero2hundred

zero2hundred Senior Member

Car still undergoin at workshop...checkin!! But my idling is stable...and yea im not using 272 lol just a standard cams all the way..gonna replace a bov and see if it leak.. :(

6. gunnerzz

gunnerzz Well-Known Member

Looks like electronic problem to me.most probably a sensor somewhere. The reading is off when its exposed to heat. Difficult to check unless the mech knows from experience to monitor input from which sensor while the engine is running using a diagnose tool.
    Happen to me before on my Waja.

7. vr2turbo

vr2turbo Moderator
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Intermittent problems hardest to find.....:banghead:

8. Shinjite

Shinjite Senior Member

If all mechanical and hoses are checked, you might want to have a look at your ECU itself

9. Tom

Tom Administrator
    Helmet Clan

any luck finding what went wrong?

10. pac_jb

pac_jb 5 Year | Silver

Bro cable tie your maf sensor connector , I had this problem , the connector was not tight, after I cable tie , everything was ok and check your turbo piping hoses ,it will become hard and leak air

#30 pac_jb, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  11. Tom

Tom Administrator
    Helmet Clan

good tip, I've had cars that were affected by a loose MAF socket.
    Would either not start or would stall during driving.
    Even if the connection breaks for a brief second, it would register as a broken MAF causing the engine to stall or to not start.

12. peterj

peterj Senior Member

i have this problem from previous stock evo 4 engine, exactly the same when using vent to air b.o.v .... it is very common problem to stall and engine die off when u accelerate or throttle and press clutch for too long since it utilize MAF sensor, the theory here is that the MAF calculated the amount of air entered the engine and therefore calculated amount of fuel to put in as well.. but when you using vent to air b.o.v , MAF sensed for example 5 unit of air go in,therefore react with 5 unit of fuel to be put in engine, but the air that pass through MAF sensor is released through the b.o.v ... thus maybe with only 2-3 unit of air enter the engine to mixed with the 5 unit of fuel injected, then your engine is running rich and die off.. simple explanation is like this

13. Nicholasng925

Nicholasng925 Member

I occationally have this problem as well, when the engine temperature is around 40-50 degree Celcius.

Engine die off suddenly, aircond is switched on, clutch engaged, trying to downshift and brake.

I suspect it's the ECU being tuned too lean at these temperature range, so not enough fuel being injected to keep the idling stable.

No such issue when engine reaches operating temperature (80-85 degree Celcius) though. :hmmmm:

14. peterj

peterj Senior Member

it is in reverse, engine running rich that is commonly will stall and die off not lean, engine can idle at airfuel that is as high as 16.0 afr, some even more, and when temperature higher, fuel easier to burn which will cause less trouble if running rich.. check you aif flow sensor see got faulty or not as well in that case

15. Nicholasng925

Nicholasng925 Member

Another indication I forgot to write was, the idling was pretty rough and unstable at this temperature range also (40-50 degree C). I will normally switch off the aircond so that the idling won't get worsen.

I thought if the AFR is rich, the idling will be more stable? In that sense, it means the AFR is not rich enough that's why idling fluctuates? :hmmmm:

16. vr2turbo

vr2turbo Moderator
    Helmet Clan Moderator

You off air con then idling better? Like that is your IACV not compensating for air con load?

17. Nicholasng925

Nicholasng925 Member

But only at certain temperature (between 40 and 50 degree C)? When the temperature reaches operating temperature, everything is normal. I think it can be easily tuned at one of the parameters in Haltech software. :hmmmm:

18. vr2turbo

vr2turbo Moderator
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Oh! For me, my VR harder to start and idle when warmed up, but once started, one or two blip on the throttle then idling will be stable......lol:biggrin: