Need Advise: 6a12 grinding noise

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
My car has a loud grinding noise which occurs every time i release the accelerator at a higher rpm (when rpm is dropping over over 1000rpm), strangely does not happen upon acceleration :bawling:. The sound is coming from the belt area (sounds like its coming from the middle portion) I suspect its one of the bearings done bad. I have already tried taking off the ac belt, sound is still there. Is there anyway of telling if its the waterpump, timing belt tentioner or main bearings (ohh god hope not a spun bearing :banghead:)? Its something which i think suddenly occurred ona 40km journey? dont think there were any signs before this (have only owned the car for 6 months)

Also, anyone have a recomendation on a mechanic who is able to deal with these engines in pj (or anywhere close by)? need to look for a mechanic who can deal with these interference v6 engines :adore:. And any one know how much it will cost me? (timing belt was done around 30,000km/1 year+ ago, but since everything is coming out, might as well get it all done again)

engine is a 6a12 mivec*, pretty much similar to the perdana v6 engine*

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
i had a grinding sound previously but it was actually 1 of the gearbox bearing, I had difficulties searching for one,
ended up changing the gearbox internals....if your unlucky.

if you're lucky then should be your crank pulley....

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
sent to a shop nearby, he says that it might be the belt/belt tentioner haha, have to bukak the belt covers n check another day, ahh lega he says should not be anything major :proud:

ahh forgot to mention, happens out of gear as well, i dont think its the gearbox. crank pulley could be possible....

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
sent to a shop nearby, he says that it might be the belt/belt tentioner haha, have to bukak the belt covers n check another day, ahh lega he says should not be anything major :proud:

ahh forgot to mention, happens out of gear as well, i dont think its the gearbox. crank pulley could be possible....
If have time, go to other shops for a second opinion or 3rd opinion

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Open cover means timing belt? What about outside main belt have bearing/tensioner too

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Open cover means timing belt? What about outside main belt have bearing/tensioner too
aye, already tried removing the external belts (alternator belt, ac belt, unlikely cause sound isn't coming from that area) sound was still present. Whats left is the timing belt which is covered, sound seems to be coming from there

abit more info: sound only occours when oil temp hits goes over 70. When the mech tested yesterday, actually the grinding (scratching/flapping) noise is actually present upon throttle but less audible, he thinks its just the belt, tentioner, or water pump (no idea why the belt would make noise over a certian temp :hmmmm:)

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
update: ahh bukak most of the things already, mechanic thinks it was just the tentioner bearing and belt which got loose (belt is supposed to be new, no idea how it became loose:dontknow:). Just waiting for parts and time to pasang semula :party:

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
update: ahh bukak most of the things already, mechanic thinks it was just the tentioner bearing and belt which got loose (belt is supposed to be new, no idea how it became loose:dontknow:). Just waiting for parts and time to pasang semula :party:
Pulleys all okay?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Pulleys all okay?
was told to just change the tensioner pulley and belt all the rest of the things were fine, wait for them to put it back together and i will find out i guess... there was abit of slack in the timing belt (mid section in between the rear bank intake cam pulley and the tentioner)

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
was told to just change the tensioner pulley and belt all the rest of the things were fine, wait for them to put it back together and i will find out i guess... there was abit of slack in the timing belt (mid section in between the rear bank intake cam pulley and the tentioner)
Well yeah, hopefully after this all solve :)

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Update: problem solved, no more grinding, but whoa these v6's quite mahal haha, gates timing belt kit 1k (decided to change even though old belt has not even hit 25k) and the tensioner mechanism was over 500 :saint:

but all in all, problem is gone! yay

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Update: problem solved, no more grinding, but whoa these v6's quite mahal haha, gates timing belt kit 1k (decided to change even though old belt has not even hit 25k) and the tensioner mechanism was over 500 :saint:

but all in all, problem is gone! yay
Glad to hear problem solved. Sometimes better to change because if not changed and still got sound need to pay for 2nd round workmanship and time to redo whole thing.....:driver:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Glad to hear problem solved. Sometimes better to change because if not changed and still got sound need to pay for 2nd round workmanship and time to redo whole thing.....:driver:
haha i agree! nanti problem come back i will rage!! :mad:.. get some peace of mind by just replacing it all

ahh yeah, Thanks guys for all the help!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The Perdana V6 was always a classy type of car. It's only just the branding that let it down. So expect to pay classy prices man!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi everybody,
Today I would like to share something about installing 12mm+12mm BONOSS Forged Lightweight Plus Wheel Spacers for my BMW 3 Series (G20) 330i with you.
View attachment 578091
My BMW 3 Series (G20) 330i:
Chassis model: VII (G20)
PCD: 5*112 mm
CB: 66.5 mm
Thread: M12*1.5 mm
View attachment 578092
I got them on eBay, took me several days to receive them. I can't wait to install them on my vehicle.
But before you choose the right spacers, you need to...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience