Myvi SE/Extreme 1.5 modifications

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
It has been almost 6 months since the launch of the "Lagi Power Lagi Best" - the Perodua Myvi 1.5 SE/Extreme. :listen:

I believe many who have bought this car have already made some modifications be it in terms of performance, handling, aesthetic, safety, comfort, and so on. Some went to the extend of voiding the warranty just after a few days of getting the car, and some carefully make modifications that keep the warranty.

It would be great if you can share your modifications with pros and cons, outcome, and maybe $_$ as well here. :driver: Cheerss

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
It has been almost 6 months since the launch of the "Lagi Power Lagi Best" - the Perodua Myvi 1.5 SE/Extreme. :listen:

I believe many who have bought this car have already made some modifications be it in terms of performance, handling, aesthetic, safety, comfort, and so on. Some went to the extend of voiding the warranty just after a few days of getting the car, and some carefully make modifications that keep the warranty.

It would be great if you can share your modifications with pros and cons, outcome, and maybe $_$ as well here. :driver: Cheerss
Same here. Got my Myvi Extreme in January and I'm looking to change the brakes, slightly larger tyres and rims to accommodate rear discs brake conversion, suspension and that's about it I guess. Not really looking for more power as its a daily driver. I haven't even washed it since I bought it - got original showroom dust still! :rofl:

jun_ng_1208

Known Member
Jul 2, 2008
Cheras

Changing the exhaust system will be a head start for modifications :D The 1st mod I did for my ride was swapping the whole exhaust ;)

[PIMPIN];1063964053 said:
Same here. Got my Myvi Extreme in January and I'm looking to change the brakes, slightly larger tyres and rims to accommodate rear discs brake conversion, suspension and that's about it I guess. Not really looking for more power as its a daily driver. I haven't even washed it since I bought it - got original showroom dust still! :rofl:
Bought since Jan but never wash till now? So geng bro :P Rear disc brakes IMHO are mainly for show, won't be as useful as changing the front brakes though ;) Just my 2 cent :D

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
u may consider getting a fron rotor n caliper bigger, i got my previous myvi modded MR2 front brake kit.

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Changing the exhaust system will be a head start for modifications :D The 1st mod I did for my ride was swapping the whole exhaust ;)

Bought since Jan but never wash till now? So geng bro :P Rear disc brakes IMHO are mainly for show, won't be as useful as changing the front brakes though ;) Just my 2 cent :D
Hahaha I am very serious. Will snap pictures in the morning so you can see it in all its glory. Plus black colour somemore :banghead:

Anyway, I'm not after more power just increased safety and I was under the impression rear drums needed replacing. If I can upgrade just the fronts then I'd much rather go with that option - will that mean bigger rims though?

radhie

500 RPM
May 16, 2006
Change the front brake system is enough..i changed mine to honda brakes,the rotor size is 282mm,the caliper much2 bigger than the stock myvi.minimum rim is 15"..rm480 complete with bracket and siap pasang at klang..satisfied with the braking,compared to my all stock brakes,changed the rotor twice because of warped rotor..end up i changed to bigger brake disc..im driving the 2006 myvi,if im not mistaken the brake brakcet are all the same with the new myvi..recommended brake upgrades for myvi!

Pic for myvi 1.5 se with big brake..
Myvi break - Car Accessories & Parts for sale Kuala Lumpur - Mudah.my

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
[PIMPIN];1063966191 said:
Hahaha I am very serious. Will snap pictures in the morning so you can see it in all its glory. Plus black colour somemore :banghead:

Anyway, I'm not after more power just increased safety and I was under the impression rear drums needed replacing. If I can upgrade just the fronts then I'd much rather go with that option - will that mean bigger rims though?
Pimps, the 1.5 still uses a awfully skinny rotor. If you swap it out to a thicker one it'll help a bit. Also, the firewall for all myvis are really thin so bigger calipers will put a lotta stress on the servo. If you swap out the servo too it'll flex the firewall quite a bit and your pedal feel won't be that great. No one makes servo stoppers for Myvi so you'll have to custom make one otherwise it'll be terrible brake pedal travel. Not a safety issue but won't be as responsive imho and will just need getting used to.

The 1.5 calipers are bigger and longer than the 1.3 calipers. IMHO they are quite sufficient paired with the rear drums. And changing to disc means you'll have to customize the hand brake cable otherwise the handbrake might not bite completely on standstill. Personally I think the rear drums is plenty good with good brake shoes. People don't give drums the credit they deserve.

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Thanks all for the pointers. If I were to upgrade to larger front rotors and going up to 15" rims then I guess I'll wait until the tyres need changing - the Continental tyres are pretty decent, definitely a lot better than what I expected. I was actually tempted to wash it today but then I thought I'd try aim for six months since I got it in January it would be a shame to lose all that painstakingly collected grime, etc :rofl::banghead:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
[PIMPIN];1063969565 said:
Thanks all for the pointers. If I were to upgrade to larger front rotors and going up to 15" rims then I guess I'll wait until the tyres need changing - the Continental tyres are pretty decent, definitely a lot better than what I expected. I was actually tempted to wash it today but then I thought I'd try aim for six months since I got it in January it would be a shame to lose all that painstakingly collected grime, etc :rofl::banghead:
So..have u washed ur car yet? :biggrin:

I agree that this continental set of tyres are not bad. Since everything is still new in my car, i'll just leave out any major mods to it first. I'm planning to change the suspension system to adjustable..but i have not tried it personally in a myvi yet. I'm afraid it will be very bouncy. Any1 here has any idea?

The next thing to change is a new set of rims :driver: 15" 195 should be enough...any bro here installed 185? How is it?

Then maybe after a few services..install drop in air filter and VS to keep the battery life longer hehe..must be energy efficient LOL. So far there are 2 drop in air filters in my mind. K&N and Works. Any1 knows which is better? Works air filter is alot cheaper

I had only installed ARB, rear lower arm and front strut since the day I got my car. Although they are satisfying, it's not enough lol..I still feel not so comfortable when I went Genting downhill haha..like anytime will roll on the floor..

jun_ng_1208

Known Member
Jul 2, 2008
Cheras

I agree that this continental set of tyres are not bad. Since everything is still new in my car, i'll just leave out any major mods to it first. I'm planning to change the suspension system to adjustable..but i have not tried it personally in a myvi yet. I'm afraid it will be very bouncy. Any1 here has any idea?

The next thing to change is a new set of rims :driver: 15" 195 should be enough...any bro here installed 185? How is it?

Then maybe after a few services..install drop in air filter and VS to keep the battery life longer hehe..must be energy efficient LOL. So far there are 2 drop in air filters in my mind. K&N and Works. Any1 knows which is better? Works air filter is alot cheaper

I had only installed ARB, rear lower arm and front strut since the day I got my car. Although they are satisfying, it's not enough lol..I still feel not so comfortable when I went Genting downhill haha..like anytime will roll on the floor..
For adjustables, no matter what brand you use, be it G|A|B / IMP / Wings etc. It will still bounce harder than stock ;) Been on G|A|B SS since 2 yrs ago, so far I feel that its not so passenger friendly LOL too bouncy for my family :P

For 15" rims, minimum 195/50/15 ;) No point getting any smaller than that ;) Just my opinion :D

Filter wise, drop in filter I use K&N before, honestly no feel...same with stock...WORKS I dunno...

To tackle the hill roads, get a proper set of tires, get a better brake pads and get your suspension done ;) STOCK are not meant to attack those corners mate ;)

Cheers ~

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
hahah thanks for the advice. I know that after market suspension systems are going to be bouncier than stock no matter what. Mind you, the stock suspension on Myvi 1.5 is already kinda bouncy. I wana lower the ride but if I only change the springs..i guess its just a waste of time coz i'll get very bouncy ride and just slight improvement on handling. So y not save more money to get adjustable ones hehe

Brake..definitely i will modify. The stopping power is kinda rubbish I would say haha...but changing the brakes is quite a major thing..so I would just stick it to the stock for the time being. Maybe use better brake pads first.

Really changing to K&N got no rasa? Hmm..mayb you can share what kinda of mods u have done that u feel is worth =)

Im not attacking the corners lar...just wana ride home safely :rofl:

jun_ng_1208

Known Member
Jul 2, 2008
Cheras
hahah thanks for the advice. I know that after market suspension systems are going to be bouncier than stock no matter what. Mind you, the stock suspension on Myvi 1.5 is already kinda bouncy. I wana lower the ride but if I only change the springs..i guess its just a waste of time coz i'll get very bouncy ride and just slight improvement on handling. So y not save more money to get adjustable ones hehe

Brake..definitely i will modify. The stopping power is kinda rubbish I would say haha...but changing the brakes is quite a major thing..so I would just stick it to the stock for the time being. Maybe use better brake pads first.

Really changing to K&N got no rasa? Hmm..mayb you can share what kinda of mods u have done that u feel is worth =)

Im not attacking the corners lar...just wana ride home safely :rofl:
Haha :D K&N really not much feel for me...no difference IMHO, that's why I sold it after 1 week of usage :P For my mods so so nia..nth much still stock engine with a bigger brake kit from Honda EK and G|A|B SS Fully adjustables ;)

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

I think it was the latest of the Mightcarmods shows that mythbusted air filters. Performance filters and all did almost nothing for standard engine setups. So stick with original paper filter and keep it clean, that's actually better than open pods and whatever. Until you mod your engine, don't bother with air filters.

Myvi uses torsion beam. If you bought the UR antiroll bar it's essentially a torsion beam strengthener. The way the Torsion beam is made is a "H" shape so no matter how strong your torsion beam is, there will be some flexing and that means it'll not be strong unless you use the 3max antiroll bar system. But there's a risk to using that - since the chassis and all wasn't designed to be that rigid, you might tear something, either the 3max braces / bar or the chassis part that it's bolted on to.

Anyway - all in all, I personally don't think the Myvi was designed for extreme performance. Maybe a fun drive here and there but nothing more than that. So don't expect too much.

Lastly - any suspension mod other than stock will ruin the comfort and the way the rear suspension is setup - spring and absorber separate, you might find some aren't that good a fit unless you combine the two like how you'd do it with adjustables... possibly at the expense of comfort.

My Improve Comfort is significantly stiffer than stock but if I'm not carrying people at the back, the rear becomes too stiff and going over bumps and uneven roads can be quite irritating. But when loaded with 2 or 3 passengers at the back then the comfort is back.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Mayb I'm still not used to driving a tall car.. Feels weird lol..even when I was going 50-60 downhill.. I was nervous coz feeling weird with how the car hamdles..Never really like that with my old car haha

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
When the Myvi was new, some folks used the car for AutoX and some Myvis landed on their sides due to the aggressive cornering and turning. The wheel base is wide but short and center of gravity is high! Bad combo in my opinion!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey guy i'm going 2 diy my satria door 2 vertical door o they cal siccors door... anybody got any idea 2 do it...?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience